Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Aiden White hasn't had a club for 18 months

Standard Charlton signing that
  • Redhenry said:

Aiden White on trial LB, Potentially new GK, number 10. Also looking for frees and players clubs needing to move out of contract.

According to wiki White is 27 and hasnt played a game since his loan move to Barnsley in the 15/16 season

So over 2 years with no football

That's why he's on trial with us. Will be cheap.

Assume he was the trialist from Monday.

I am sorry but we are looking to get promoted, do we really want someone who hasnt played football or even had a team for 18 months
  • But then Eaves is taking a big step up from his current club regardless

He's probably got three choices

(1) He goes to a struggling Championship club, that club is likely to be struggling because they cant create chances let alone score them so may well struggle himself to make an impact - Regardless he may find himself back in League One next year if that side gets relegated

We're actually in the top three for chances created in the division this season.

If Eaves can put them away.....
  • Redhenry said:

Aiden White on trial LB, Potentially new GK, number 10. Also looking for frees and players clubs needing to move out of contract.

According to wiki White is 27 and hasnt played a game since his loan move to Barnsley in the 15/16 season

So over 2 years with no football

hence trial
  • Not sure how true but seen on twitter that White was on trial with Bradford in early December and they decided not to offer him a deal.

Bradford 22nd league who have Adam Chicksen as LB.

Yes to everyone above that says its only a trial I understand that.

But forgive me for thinking that a side chasing promotion to the 2nd tier should be looking for someone better than someone who hasnt had a club for 18 months
  • Sponsored links:

• So surprise surprise, Roland is not going to spend in order to help the promotion push.
  • We will get another young Arsenal loanee in given the success of Beilik.

Bowyer/Gallen mentioned they had their eye on a couple at a Bromley meeting iirc
  • Redhenry said:

What happened to all the money Roland was going to invest in Jan?
  • edited December 2018

Not sure how true but seen on twitter that White was on trial with Bradford in early December and they decided not to offer him a deal.

But forgive me for thinking that a side chasing promotion to the 2nd tier should be looking for someone better than someone who hasnt had a club for 18 months

I guess its one of a few things for Bowyer and Charlton

(1) Not many trialists end up signing for us so White is probably another of those

(2) If he can prove he's over his injuries he may be a good option as backup, has barely cost anything so allows Bowyer to go after additional targets which'll strengthen our squad even further as ideally we need as many bodies as possible

(3) He may not even be a priority signing as Left-Back and Gallen / Bowyer are currently looking for a loan signing from a Premier League club yet worst case scenario we cant get anyone in because Roland is tighter than a Nun so have to resort to bringing in a freebie like this
  • But then Eaves is taking a big step up from his current club regardless

He's probably got three choices

(1) He goes to a struggling Championship club, that club is likely to be struggling because they cant create chances let alone score them so may well struggle himself to make an impact - Regardless he may find himself back in League One next year if that side gets relegated

We're actually in the top three for chances created in the division this season.

If Eaves can put them away.....
    But bottom 3 where it matters
  • Remember White at Leeds as a youngster, good player and very very quick. Probably more of an attacking full back than Page. Be good cover if he is over his injury issues.
  • edited December 2018
    Sample size of two Leeds fans on White:

'Quick, but can't defend for sh!t.'

'Lightweight. Great engine.'

Edit: I remember being a decent player who hasn't lived up to his potential and injuries have played their part there.
  • Bowyers Leeds connection coming into play?
  • Sponsored links:

• No harm in looking . Interesting that his career has solely been at northern clubs

Maybe he wants to keep his options open . Charlton would be more attractive than Bradford at the moment

This was a debate on the Bradford Forum about him.

https://bantamtalk.com/index.php?threads/aidy-white.1716/
  • Not sure how true but seen on twitter that White was on trial with Bradford in early December and they decided not to offer him a deal.

No one at the club has even mentioned him let alone said "It's White or no one".

Bowyer has said that they are looking all over for a left back including the EPL, Championship and abroad. This is just one guy who's on trial. Having a look does us no harm.
  • Bloody hell Paulie give the bloke a chance!
  • what's JDS up to? did his loan at Bristol yeild games ?
  • See how he gets on, as ever we aren't exactly full of options so if he can prove fitness why the hell not! I like the fact he has pace , so hopefully will be able to get forward and would suit playing wing backs. Good luck to him if we cant get anyone better

You can take someone on trial while continuing to work on bringing in your first/second choices.

We had a few players on trial in the summer who might have signed had we not been able to bring in the likes of Cullen and Bielik.
  • Chrispy51 said:

Croydon said:

didn't @Redhenry say he'd been told RD was going to spend big?

When he's supposedly made it clear that he wants out, why would he suddenly spend big after 4+ years of spending fuck all?
    Not trying to defend him, but he has spent decent money in his time here. Just not spent it very wisely. Reported £2m+ on Sarr, similar on Vetokele, reasonably large loan fee for Makienok, plus big wages.

Richard J said:

No harm in looking . Interesting that his career has solely been at northern clubs

Maybe he wants to keep his options open . Charlton would be more attractive than Bradford at the moment

This was a debate on the Bradford Forum about him.

https://bantamtalk.com/index.php?threads/aidy-white.1716/

Good link

"I've found some nice comments from Barnsley Fans Forum about White:

"Yeah he's not worth the risk with his injury record. If he could play 40 plus games a season, he would be a starter for a top half championship club."

"Agreed. He's more pace than any of our current full backs. He would run down the side, pass to Hammill, overlap waiting for the return pass, then whip a ball in to the box. Our current full backs aren't yet up for doing that."

"Gutted for him that he’s so injury prone. Nice lad who deserves better luck. Whether it’s with us or someone else I hope he gets back to full fitness."

"No one in League One could cope with his partnership with Hammill down that left wing"

"Yeah think the club have been letting him train here, which is a really nice gesture. Was always excellent for us but sadly injuries have brought is Career to a halt"

Sounds like an exciting prospect if we can keep him injury free."

Sounds like he has been training with Barnsley at least. Good player when fit
    Yeah as Sage alluded to I remember him being quick and promising at Leeds.

I'm also of the feeling that this is low risk, high reward. We can't sign anyone until Jan 1, and even then transfers at our level rarely go through that quickly, so it could be up to six weeks before we can get a loan in. I think giving White a chance between now and then makes a lot of sense, especially with Page out injured.

I also think that the fact of the matter is if a decent quality player is going to come to us then there is going to be some sort of catch. And that's not just a Roland thing, though he makes it far worse obviously, that's a League One thing. So in order to get good players capable of playing at the high end of this league and ideally the Championship, there are going to be trade offs.