Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Three Wise Men to visit Bromley Addicks - Theo, Paddy and Nicky

Comments

• Options

Simon Inglis speaking in Bromley tonight about local sporting history- may be of interest to some on here

He produced the football grounds of Europe in the 80's.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Simon Inglis speaking in Bromley tonight about local sporting history- may be of interest to some on here

He produced the football grounds of Europe in the 80's.

Yeah reckon you would find him interesting to listen to

(Apologies for slightly high jacking this thread- but it does bump it up the list)
  • Options

Bromley history society- if you go, any chance of a write up

We need it within an hour though, no excuses.... :wink:
  • Options
    On the club website it says 'Thursday 4th December' ???
  • Options
    addick05 said:

On the club website it says 'Thursday 4th December' ???

say 6th on link above
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    Having attended Theo's book signing with GHF, also with Nicky and Paddy as guests, I can promise everyone who attends a good evening, even those too young to have seen them play.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    You need to ask Nicky not to mention the “skid marks” story!!!
    I still cringe with embarrassment.....Johnny Humphrey’s didn’t know where to look.
    Looks like a really good line up.....wish I could be there.....I really miss my Bromley Addicks meetings.
    Have a good evening everyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Three wise men from the 1970s will be travelling to Bromley Addicks this 6 December.

Former manager Theo Foley, winger Colin Powell and keeper Nicky Johns will be the guests at Petts Wood Royal British Legion club in Queensway, Petts Wood on Thursday 6 December from 7.45 pm

Theo will be bring copies of his excellent new biography “Theo, Give Us a Ball” to sell and sign. There will be the usual open question and answer session and all Charlton fans are welcome.

Entry is free and there is a bar open from 5.00 pm

See you there.

Who ever organised this well done....shame miles away.
    Same here
  • Options
    kafka said:

Still pissed offf with Nicky Johns celebrating like crazy for QPR in front of the Charlton fans when they scored against us. Hard to forgive that and never seen it before or since from an ex player. He was a great keeper for us though.

Bob Stokoe did though !
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    An excellent evening
  • Options
    It certainly was! Best guests ever, got lots of stuff dating back years signed at last.
  • Options
    Any stories, please?
  • Options
    Had better feedback from the East Kent Addicks Christmas do last night with Peter Shaw and Richie Bowman.

:wink:
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Had better feedback from the East Kent Addicks Christmas do last night with Peter Shaw and Richie Bowman.

:wink:

Which no one knew about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like a good night and many thanks to @Henry Irving for sorting me a signed book :star:
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Sounds like a good night and many thanks to @Henry Irving for sorting me a signed book :star:

No problem.

Any suggestions for the next meeting.

And we need some more committee members
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Fumbluff said:

No problem.

I’m not old enough to be on a commitee and I don’t even know how to knit?

Suggestions though???
    I’d like to hear from;
    Colin Pates/Joe McLaughlin
    Andy Jones
    Paul Miller and, um
    Kenny Achampong
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

No problem.

I’m not old enough to be on a commitee and I don’t even know how to knit?

Suggestions though???
    I’d like to hear from;
    Colin Pates/Joe McLaughlin
    Andy Jones
    Paul Miller and, um
    Kenny Achampong
    We need younger people like me and you and covered end
  • Options

There was a running joke about Paddy complaining that he only got £40 PW when Theo signed him, which as roughly what he was earning anyway for Barnet and his job in a timber yard in Stevenage. Then last week when Paddy complained Mike Flanaghan said "what, I was only on £24 a week".

Nicky said he wasn't a drinker but a lot of players were. He said QPR was the worst for that but all teams did it and it built team spirit. Paddy reckoned similar goes on now but out of sight (see Arsenal players today). He said Bobby Curtis liked a drink and he'd be in the British Oak before the others were out of the bath.

Nicky was staying in the Clarendon Hotel in Blackheath when he signed for Millwall and him and his finance loved it but he then got moved into a series of terrible digs "the lady was Irish so Theo though they were fine" but eventually ended up living with Theo for six months. Said he moved to Charlton and thought it would be quiet after Millwall and on the day he signed Flash and Killer got sent off for fighting.

Neither NJ or CP settle in the US when they played. NJ wanted to come home almost straight away but Millwall said "we've sold you and we've spent the money". Paddy said the US team were willing to sell him back to Charlton at a much lower fee than we'd received a few months before but Charlton said were not paying that much for you.

Paddy said Hales would just tell Nelson that he was having a day off and as he was scoring all those goals no one stopped him.

Neither Paddy or Theo agreed with playing a weakened team in the FA Cup. Paddy said Lee had got away with it as was Preston away.

Nicky asked if anyone knew someone called Brenda as he'd been trying to call her for ages but she didn't return his calls.

Nicky doesn't watch much football at all and isn't very impressed when asked about VAR. Paddy said that he used to dive but then again he was kicked all over the shop, especially up north.

Can't remember much more now.

Great stories, cheers
  • Options
    John Humphrey, Carlo, Mark Reid. Shame people like Sweaty, Aizelwood and Melrose are probably not local.
  • Options

John Humphrey, Carlo, Mark Reid. Shame people like Sweaty, Aizelwood and Melrose are probably not local.

We had Carlo last year and AIzlewood is banged up.

The others aren't local.
  • Options
    Stuart Balmer was drinking in the Millennium with his family before the Doncaster cup match last weekend.