Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gin

Comments

• Options
    Aber Falls orange marmelade gin is lovely.
  • Options
    Brockmans with half a blueberry, blackberry and the zest of a pink grapefruit is my current favourite. Otherwise its Tanqueray No 10
  • Options
    Jinzu with tonic and slice of apple.
  • Options
    Right so on holiday all inclusive and look at drink menu, what gin’sare included, Bombay sapphire, Gordon’s, then look at price if they aren’t Tanqueray is on there, so decide to partake, fuck me that’s nice, hence about 8 of them whilst watching us win 3-1 on ifollow, get in.
  • Options
    I like gin in cocktails, particularly Salty Dog, White Lady, Gin Alexander, and of course with tonic. Martin Miller’s is one of my favourites, I can even drink that neat.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Riviera said:

I love gin. I also love gin to taste of gin and not rhubarb, elderflower, cherry, mint or palma violets. I like my gin strong, export strength; at least 47% and not 37.5% as many in the UK are. Favourites are Beefeater Export and Tanqueray No.10. A new one I've discovered is Marylebone which is made my Greenalls. It's rather expensive but comes in at a juicy 50.2 ABV.
    I like my gin with lots of ice and tonic water. Schweppes Indian Tonic water. I find all this Fever Tree stuff far too floral, I like my tonic to taste like...tonic.
    As for fruit it has to be a slice of fresh lemon, they are the yellow ones. Never lime. Lime is for rum.

With you on the tonic water. In fact, and I might be out on a limb here, but I'd go as far as to say that splashing out on a decent tonic is more important than getting more expensive gins.

Cheers for the lime in rum thread, I've never thought of doing that. Time for a new thread I think: Rum
    Gin, fresh lime juice, ice and soda is an acceptable drink but lime mostly goes best in rum and vodka drinks.
  • Options
    Should add Tanqueray is all inclusive, so as it’s most expensive decided to give it a go, hence been on it all day round the pool
  • Options
    Just had a no-frills Sipsmith with a no-frills Fever Tree (difficult to get it in Prague still) and I must say that it seemed better than a normal G&T but I'd struggle to tell you why. Might have been the G-T ratio.

I might get some Schweppes and do a blind taste test against the Fever Tree, but I tend to agree with @AddicksAddict on Schweppes.

@seriously_red "Which" (Consumers Asssoc). have done the blind taste tests you are asking for. Sipsmith and Fever Tree came out well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you add a slice of lemon or lime (or any citrus) to your gin, I highly recommend adding a strip of the zest rather than a slice of the whole fruit. The effect on the aroma of the drink is spectacular, and it doesn't overpower the flavour.
  • Options
    Another vote for Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10.

Have had loads of different gins with loads of different tonics, but sometimes its good to get back to basics.

Tanqueray - large glass full to brim with ice, double measure poured over, Schweppes Tonic, large wedge of lime squeezed in then run round the rim to add an extra edge when drinking.

Tanqueray 10 - neat with a splash of vermouth as a classic martini.

Gin is clearly more diverse than ever, but sometimes the old ones are the best.
  • Options
    Hendricks & plain tonic, or Cuckoo and plain tonic. Really developed an appreciation for it in the last ten years or so - now can't really imagine drinking anything else when I go out
  • Options
    Had a nice Seville Orange gin last night, actually more than one but who’s counting. Still prefer a Malfy lemon gin though.
  • Options
    Just ordered a few bottles for Christmas - bargain of the day. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Appleton-Estate-Year-Rare-Blend/dp/B01AI0SMBU?ref_=pe_11953281_341154891
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just ordered a few bottles for Christmas - bargain of the day. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Appleton-Estate-Year-Rare-Blend/dp/B01AI0SMBU?ref_=pe_11953281_341154891

not really in the spirit of this thread
  • Options
    I know but I searched Rum and there was not a thread to be found and Rum is mentioned several times in this one!,
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Try this beauty

http://drinkmemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Rock-Rose.jpg

Rock Rose scottish gin. Spring of Rosemary, slice of orange. Heaven.
  • Options
    Here's one to split opinions: Eden Mill Chilli & Ginger Gin (available from Aldi). Those who think that adding ice and lemon is a step too far will absolutely hate it. Those who are quite happy to experiment with various 'botanicals' may find it rather nice. I do.
  • Options
    For people who enjoy flavoured gins, check out the boutiquey gin company and their range of weird and wonderful flavours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always regarded Gin as a shit drink discovered Rhubarb and Ginger and love it, but apparently the conniseurs say to avoid it, I say fuck em.
    And so easy to make! Use London Gin, fresh rhubarb, ginger and 250g of caster sugar and shove into one of those jam making jars (£1.25 ar Asda). Stir/ shake every other day to dissolve sugar and store a in dark place. Sieve into a bottle after about 3 weeks and enjoy.

If you like a stronger pink colour, add a couple of strawberries a couple of days before.

Top tip. Don’t chuck that gin soaked rhubarb away. Blend with a vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Bayleaf gin is also good. Mix gin with a doz leaves (and ginger if you like). 10 days later, bottle. Bayleaf has health benefits, so if you need an excuse.....
  • Options
    Whitley Neill is my favourite at the moment
  • Options
    Got some Brooklyn gin from M&S. Top drawer.
  • Options
    Check out this little baby! Not for the faint of heart. 

• Options
    Riviera said:
    Check out this little baby! Not for the faint of heart. 

Always regarded Gin as a shit drink discovered Rhubarb and Ginger and love it, but apparently the conniseurs say to avoid it, I say fuck em.
    Is that named after the station?
  • Options
    Whitley Neill is my favourite at the moment
    Just stocked up in Gibralter, £12 quid a bottle too.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Got some haymans 'old Tom' gin. Lovely- a bit sweeter than than London dry. Goes great with bitter lemon
  • Options
    Lidl sell Hortus gins at about £13 quid, pretty decent too. Love Malfy gins too especially the Lemon and Grapefruit varieties.
  • Options
    Home made Gordon's infused with orange and rosemary for 5 days. Top. Gordon's is ideal for infusions as it's pretty bland and cheap, without being horrible
  • Options
    Tanqueray favourite big brand - better even than the much pricier Tanqueray Ten.

Tarquin's Cornish gin favourite niche producer - lovely clean sharp flavour.