Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Embarrassing moments in and around Charlton

Back when i was living in England, I couldn't justify a season ticket. So would occasionally just buy a ticket here and there. In 2001/2 a deal was offered by the club to buy a three ticket set - tickets for three separate home games for a discounted price which included Charlton hosting two bog standard premiership teams and one 'big' premiership club. I lept at the chance and was allocated a seat on the corner between the Covered End and the West Stand. The tickets were for Aston Villa (1-2 (Stuart)), Derby (1-0 (Bart-Williams)) and Manchester United. A colleague of mine at the time was a Manchester United fan and he asked me to buy a three ticket set for him as well so that he could watch his favourite side. Presumably it would have been hard for him to get hold of a ticket in the away section. He didn't bother to come to the first two games but was beside me incognito for the Man United game. Charlton were doing okay but we were undone by a 50 yard cross field pass from Roy Keane onto Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's cushioned foot, who then stepped past a defender (forget who) and made no mistake with only Kiely to beat. It was a gorgeous goal and you had to applaud it....but what you didn't have to do was jump out of your chair among all the despondent Charlton fans and punch your fists in the air screaming "YES! YES! YES!" which is exactly what my colleague did. I still cringe about this and it is only now that i find i am brave enough to seek the forgiveness of the Charlton community. I hope you find it in you to not just forgive me but to share here your embarrassing moments in and around the Valley. Final score 0-2 with the Norwegian getting a second. Match report

Comments

• Did the locals/yourself berate your colleague at the time ?
  • Did the locals/yourself berate your colleague at the time ?

Yes i made a reasonably big deal of telling him to shut up but tried to find the balance between making it clear i was not 'with him' and not inciting a lynching. I must have struck that balance as he is still very much alive and living in Dubai with a bunch of other Man U fan-kers.
  • An Everton fan did that sat behind us once, my dad turned round and gave one a slap... to a big cheer from all our lot around us
  • I don't think anything we can come up with holds a candle to Katie appointing Karel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not mega embarrassing but my Dad likes to remind me of it all the same.

Charlton vs Shrewsbury early last season (I think) - game ends 4-3 to them and Ricky Holmes was the only player doing anything in the whole game, so much so he was charging out of his position on the RW all over the shop, I'm ranting at my Dad "Why does he do that? He's miles out of position and leaving Solly at RB exposed, there's acres of room on the right wing now if he was there to collect the ball and cross/attack he'd be much more effective than crowding the centre of the pitch", at pretty much this exact point he picks up the ball in the middle of the park and unleashes a trademark Holmes screamer in to the top right from about 30 yards out.

Dad just looks at me with a big shit-eating grin at the egg all over my face.
  • edited November 2018

Orient away in that end of season, must not lose game that got rearranged for the next night after it got postponed because of heavy rain. Clearly a drink or two was had pre-match and we finally got in the ground after it had kicked off. Took me a good five minutes to realise the team in red that I was cheering on wasn't charlton...

I did the same thing at the same ground for a league cup game. Only took me one "Oooohhh" when "we" went close to realise the error though. :smiley:
  • Home to Liverpool 2003. Liked Lisbie but he was often the most frustrating of players and with the Scouser's 1-0 up and he missing a couple of decent chances my vitriol knew no bounds. Needless to say one hat-trick later it was me who had egg all over my face!
  • Sponsored links:

• ps Robin if you are reading this, i didnt really think that, you were just being very exuberant and i was grumpy and hungover.

I then spent that first half with Ian's shoulders shaking while I sat shamefaced. We changed seats at half time.
  • A few years back went to play in a five a side football tournament through work, the guy who organised said just wear anything red. So I though sound, nice opportunity to don the famous addicks jersey (think it was the redbus one at the time). Second match on we come against a team called eddies eagles all kitted out in the yellow palace away kit. fair to say my ankles were a little sore the next day
  • The day Richard Murray sacked Brian Cole. So embarrassing.
  • MrOneLung said:

Back in the Selhurst days, I was in the Arthur Wait aged about 15/16 and got up the courage to start a 'Give us a C' chant and was concentrating so hard on doing the deeper sounding 'T' that I forgot to do the letter L

we know someone who did that at Ipswich don't we @Gumbo
  • I’ve said this one before but a midweek League cup tie in the 90s away at Bury was preceded by a few pints in the local hostelries .
    Final whistle came and started making our way to the exit , unbelievably the gates weren’t open I questioned a steward and he told me it was half time .
    I always have been a proper shit drinker .

I was gonna post that.
    Your lack of drinking ability was legendary back then.
    How you managed to drink everyone under the table at Brighton away that year is one of life’s true mysteries.
  • Home to Oxford 1992, second game back at The Valley. 1-0 down ten minutes to go, the management bring on Bumstead for Robinson. Cue me going apeshit at Gritt and Curbs - "What's the fucking point in bringing on a player who's never bloody scored for us when we're chasing the game..." etc etc.

Inevitably Bummers slots the equaliser within 60 seconds.

I remember that game. you weren't by chance sitting in the jimmy seed stand were you? I remember bumstead giving someone in the crowd a right load of abuse after scoring.