Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Disparnumerophobia

The fear of odd numbers.

Never realised this was a 'phobia', but when it was mentioned to me that a friend's partner had been officially diagnosed with this it made me think.

Numbers are an important part of everyone's life and I never have a problem with them.......... or so I thought.

Everything in my life that relates to numbers that I am able to control, are even.

Whether its' volume on the TV or stereo, indoors or in the car. Temperature settings, again indoors or in the car. Cruise control, alarms and computer settings, all are even numbers and if an pdd number appears I change it.

I'm not the only one who has this issue as I found out recently.

So do I have disparnumerophobia or is it just a whim?

Comments

• I prefer odd numbers
  • You're just odd

But I love you three times anyway
  • I've got a colleague who is obsessed with he number 4. I don't think it's a fear of odd numbers just a compulsion to do things in sets of four.

I've got another colleague with koumpounophobia - look it up it's a real thing but sounds absolutely mad. She doesn't get much sympathy and prefers not to talk about it because everyone takes the piss.
  • I’ve got a friend who has a thing about clocks being right. Whenever we’d go away he would have to make sure all the clocks in the house were right.

It drove him insane to be in my car becuase I wouldn’t reset my clock for daylight savings.

He once spent two weeks complaining to his cable company ( every day) that the time on his cable box was off by two minutes. He knew, he’d got himself one of those clock that syncs with the atomic clock.

Of course, we’d all reset the clock just to bug him.
  • My Mrs sets everything to an even number, I change it to odd when ever we have a row
  • Addickted said:

The fear of odd numbers.

Never realised this was a 'phobia', but when it was mentioned to me that a friend's partner had been officially diagnosed with this it made me think.

Numbers are an important part of everyone's life and I never have a problem with them.......... or so I thought.

Everything in my life that relates to numbers that I am able to control, are even.

Whether its' volume on the TV or stereo, indoors or in the car. Temperature settings, again indoors or in the car. Cruise control, alarms and computer settings, all are even numbers and if an pdd number appears I change it.

Nice post.

I especially liked the fact you used an odd number of paragraphs.

Good work!
  • Chizz said:

Addickted said:

The fear of odd numbers.

Nice post.

Good work!
    I hate you.
  • Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

The fear of odd numbers.

Nice post.

Good work!
    I hate you.
    Shit.

It's you I hate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

The fear of odd numbers.

Nice post.

Good work!
    I hate you.
    Shit.

It's you I hate.
    "Shit it's you I hate". Five.
  • Come to the conclusion that it's impossible in life to write anything sensible without using odd number of letters in words.

Good job most swear words are four letters.
  • I have to have the TV volume on an even number.
  • Addickted said:

Come to the conclusion that it's impossible in life to write anything sensible without using odd number of letters in words.

Good job most swear words are four letters.

FYI, this is the 283rd thread you have started.
  • Being raised Catholic I had a right fear of numbers. 13 obviously and 6 due to 666. Then it was any multiple of 6 i.e 12, 18, 36.

I did like 4 though. 4 was a good solid number. You knew where you were with a 4.

In fact I would also have to check under my bed 4 times each night when I was a youngster in the 80s as I thought if I didn't there would be a nuclear war . Of course in retrospect the soviets were itching their trigger finger waiting for the night a 10 year old sap in Orpington failed to crane his neck under his bed the mandatory 4 times before launching armageddon.

I was an odd child.

• Addickted said:

The fear of odd numbers.

Blimey, what are the odds of her developing that.
  • Two Sevens Clash is a great album
  • edited November 2018

Being raised Catholic I had a right fear of numbers. 13 obviously and 6 due to 666. Then it was any multiple of 6 i.e 12, 18, 36.

I did like 4 though. 4 was a good solid number. You knew where you were with a 4.

In fact I would also have to check under my bed 4 times each night when I was a youngster in the 80s as I thought if I didn't there would be a nuclear war . Of course in retrospect the soviets were itching their trigger finger waiting for the night a 10 year old sap in Orpington failed to crane his neck under his bed the mandatory 4 times before launching armageddon.

I was an odd child.

But 4 is an unlucky number in China. Friend of a friend once said she could never buy a house which had the number 4 in its address even if it was her dream house.

It’s only when someone starts a thread like this that you realize how much irrational weirdness there is out there.
  • I’ve got a friend who has a thing about clocks being right. Whenever we’d go away he would have to make sure all the clocks in the house were right.

It drove him insane to be in my car becuase I wouldn’t reset my clock for daylight savings.

He once spent two weeks complaining to his cable company ( every day) that the time on his cable box was off by two minutes. He knew, he’d got himself one of those clock that syncs with the atomic clock.

Of course, we’d all reset the clock just to bug him.

I too have a problem with clocks not showing the correct time.....to the second if I can help it.
    Also absolutely hate pictures and mirrors being hung crooked and will go out of my way to straighten them......no matter where I am and not just in my own home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

I have some weird traits with numbers and other things. If someone says a number or a year then I have a mental picture of these numbers. For example I see 1-10 in a vertical line going up from 1. At 10 the line then goes right horizontally until 20 and then comes down vertically from 21 - 100 and then starts again from 101 etc etc So in 2018 as we are in my mind we are on the horizontal line before we drop down in 2021.
    I also see days of the week as various coloured rectangles:

Sunday: Dark yellow thick vertical
    Monday: Light yellow thin vertical
    Tuesday: Light blue thin vertical
    Wednesday: Yellow thin horizontal
    Thursday: Thick navy vertical
    Friday: Pink thin vertical
    Saturday: Black thick horizontal

I think this comes from watching the Test Card as a kid and also being a stickler for routine. I used to go one of my Nan's on Tuesdays and Thursday pre-school and this was sort of drummed into me and if I ever had to go there on a Wednesday or any other different day I would get upset.
    I also associate certain meals with days of the week and really don't feel comfortable changing. I don't have the same meals every week but for example if I was to have sausage and mash or lamb chops and mash I will only have that on a Tuesday for example.
    Oh and I've always prefered odd numbers, find even numbers smug.

Sounds like Synesthesia, a condition I first read about in book called 'Born on a Blue Day' by Daniel Tammet.

He explains it here from 3 minutes 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzd7ReqiQnE
  • I have a similar thing with the volume of my TV etc. There are numbers that it is allowed to be on and that's it. Those numbers are 0, 5, 8, 11, 15, 19, 25, 33, 50, 66, 75, 100. No other numbers are allowed

• sam3110 said:

I have a similar thing with the volume of my TV etc. There are numbers that it is allowed to be on and that's it. Those numbers are 0, 5, 8, 11, 15, 19, 25, 33, 50, 66, 75, 100. No other numbers are allowed

Interesting that you don't allow 31 or 10 a look in
  • Riviera said:

I have some weird traits with numbers and other things. If someone says a number or a year then I have a mental picture of these numbers. For example I see 1-10 in a vertical line going up from 1. At 10 the line then goes right horizontally until 20 and then comes down vertically from 21 - 100 and then starts again from 101 etc etc So in 2018 as we are in my mind we are on the horizontal line before we drop down in 2021.

I think this comes from watching the Test Card as a kid and also being a stickler for routine. I used to go one of my Nan's on Tuesdays and Thursday pre-school and this was sort of drummed into me and if I ever had to go there on a Wednesday or any other different day I would get upset.
    I also associate certain meals with days of the week and really don't feel comfortable changing. I don't have the same meals every week but for example if I was to have sausage and mash or lamb chops and mash I will only have that on a Tuesday for example.

I know what you mean about smug even numbers, anything ending in zero is particularly smug.
  • Riviera said:

*scratches head* you lost me here
  • Never bothers me & never ever think about it.

jeez - how do you live you life like that.
  • Force yourself to set your tv volume to an odd number, I'd say there's a 99% chance you won't die from it.
    Enough stresses in life without worrying about numbers as well.
  • Stig said:

I've got a colleague who is obsessed with he number 4. I don't think it's a fear of odd numbers just a compulsion to do things in sets of four.

I've got another colleague with koumpounophobia - look it up it's a real thing but sounds absolutely mad. She doesn't get much sympathy and prefers not to talk about it because everyone takes the piss.

She should tell them to zip it.
  • Riviera said:

I think this comes from watching the Test Card as a kid

I can't relate to most of your post, but it's nice to know I wasn't the only child to watch the testcard and I couldn't agree more about those bastard even numbers. Who do they think they are?

I can't remember exactly when it was, but there was a point when it occurred to me that everyone is a bit weird, which is absolutely fine.
  • My wife has an aversion to odd numbers and I find it rather irritating at times so have I got disparnumerophobiaphobia :smile: