Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas decorations up by fireworks night.

2»

Comments

• Options
    tree/decs up first weekend of Dec and down normally the day after boxing day!!!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

It's always nice to see communities getting in to the holiday spirit by putting their lights up.

The earlier the better I say.

That's only because it gives you more time to nick 'em!
    'Permanently borrowed' is a more apt term.
  • Options

It's always nice to see communities getting in to the holiday spirit by putting their lights up.

It also provides a valuable service as it allows house buyers more time to determine which are the towns chaviest areas, and best avoided.
  • Options
    Saw some christmas lights up in an apartment opposite my building a couple of days ago and thought it was far too early. Then saw the people on the balcony who lived there and realised the lights were probably up for Diwali and not christmas.
  • Options
    Toby Carvery in Beaconsfield had their tree and decorations up when I went in on 16 September
  • Options
    Halix said:

It also provides a valuable service as it allows house buyers more time to determine which are the towns chaviest areas, and best avoided.
    We all know that chavs can't afford Christmas lights.
  • Options
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but when I was studying psychology the best piece of research I stumbled across showed a direct correlation between low-intelligence and early Christmas decorating behaviour (there's a link here with many other studies relating to delayed gratification). Since then I've always put my decorations up at the last possible moment - in fact I'm just about to hang last year's decorations. It doesn't make me any more intelligent, but it does give my Christmas a wonderful smug glow - the sort that you just can't buy from John Lewis.
  • Options

A house around the corner from me has the outside lights up already, was up and flashing away before Halloween!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Solidgone said:

I put all the blame on Slade singing Oh I wish it could be Christmas every day aaa.

That was Roy Wood and Wizard. ;)
    Same thing really :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Stig said:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but when I was studying psychology the best piece of research I stumbled across showed a direct correlation between low-intelligence and early Christmas decorating behaviour (there's a link here with many other studies relating to delayed gratification). Since then I've always put my decorations up at the last possible moment - in fact I'm just about to hang last year's decorations. It doesn't make me any more intelligent, but it does give my Christmas a wonderful smug glow - the sort that you just can't buy from John Lewis.

Are you sure it's not a correlation between putting lights up early and sociability and friendliness (Journal of Environmental Psychology)?

I do a fair amount of reading on psychology and have never come across the low-intelligence argument but frequently read about the sociability and friendliness correlation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    A friend just posted a picture of her Christmas tree on facebook. She's not very bright.

I really enjoy Christmas, at Christmas time. It actually takes away from the joy when it goes on for two or three months. What's "special" about something that happens for nearly 17% of the year?
  • Options

A friend just posted a picture of her Christmas tree on facebook. She's not very bright.

I bet her tree was, though.

I'll let the Journal know that you've disproved their study.
  • Options

The two are not mutually exclusive, are they?
  • Options

The two are not mutually exclusive, are they?
    Can I treat that as a rhetorical question?
  • Options

I know we rant about this every year and I enjoy Christmas as much as the next person but really!! Canary Wharf shopping mall is full of Christmas trees already. I don’t mean for sale, I mean the mall decorations. Ridiculous.

To be fair, the outside xmas lights at Canary Wharf have been going up for the last 2 weeks. Was really surprised that the trees were up in the Mall though when I walked through last night.
  • Options

Greenie said:

😜
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Greenie said:

😜
    FLETCHER!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

T_C_E said:

Greenie said:

😜
    FLETCHER!!!!!
    You do have posh home, balconies on the inside, galleried landings, vaulted ceilings and plenty of staff/help on stand by.
    I like what you have done with walls and general décor, very urban/loft/chic.
  • Options
    Now the kids have grown up its decs up 24th, down 27th.
  • Options
    Blimey you're a bit of a lovegod.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I know who will win manger for December.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Blimey you're a bit of a lovegod.

I think he meant up in the 24th minute and down in the 27th minute - still bloody impressive!
  • Options
    The problem is the amount of time it takes to put up the decorations in the first place so they put the decorations up more earlier. It takes half a day to put up my Christmas tree and other decorations so imagine how long it would take to decorate the whole shopping mall.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Greenie said:

😜
    I have zoomed in and looked all over this picture but I can’t see any dogs!!
  • Options

Stig said:

Are you sure it's not a correlation between putting lights up early and sociability and friendliness (Journal of Environmental Psychology)?

I do a fair amount of reading on psychology and have never come across the low-intelligence argument but frequently read about the sociability and friendliness correlation.
    Yeah, definitely intelligence not sociability, but this was donkeys years ago. Couldn't tell you the name of the journal.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    years ago we were playing Forest away in very early November .. I stayed in a nice central Notts hotel .. my friend and I were going down in the lift for something to eat, it stopped on a lower floor and a very smartly dressed young couple got in .. 'going anywhere nice ?' we asked, 'the firm's Christmas do' relied the young man .. 'what !' said I .. 'I know' he said, 'only date they could get' .. I bet they still had a good time though
  • Options
    I was asking for it I suppose having stared this thread. Having a pleasant lunch at the Twig and Spoon at Woodlands Garden Centre (excellent btw) with Mrs SB when she spotted the Christmas display (again excellent) and decided we were having a new tree this year as she fancied a change (I was soooo tempted....) and our son could have the old one for his student digs. We pick it up last Sunday and buy new lights and baubles and get it home. "Oh, lets just put it up to be sure its ok", "Oh, let's put the new lights on to make sure they are long enough". "Oh, now that its up it would be silly to take it down again for the sake of a couple of weeks..." So there you have it. Hoist by my own petard.

It does look very nice.
  • Options

I was asking for it I suppose having stared this thread. Having a pleasant lunch at the Twig and Spoon at Woodlands Garden Centre (excellent btw) with Mrs SB when she spotted the Christmas display (again excellent) and decided we were having a new tree this year as she fancied a change (I was soooo tempted....) and our son could have the old one for his student digs. We pick it up last Sunday and buy new lights and baubles and get it home. "Oh, lets just put it up to be sure its ok", "Oh, let's put the new lights on to make sure they are long enough". "Oh, now that its up it would be silly to take it down again for the sake of a couple of weeks..." So there you have it. Hoist by my own petard.

It does look very nice.

What a silly billy ;o)