Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An Evening with Chris Solly at the Valley - 28th November

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:

Very enjoyable evening with some good laughs and stories told. Obviously we were all at The Valley last night for Sols, which was great, but you could see how much love everyone still has for Powell. If I am being a little picky, the only thing I would say would be it could’ve been more focused on Solly including the questions. It was still a fantastic evening but a lot was spoken about the incredible 2011/12 season and not as much on Solly and some stories on him.

Probably sounds like I’m having a bit of a moan, but I’m not, it was very good and all four, and Keith Peacock and Tracey Leaburn, are what our club is all about.

I thought Solly seemed a bit shy at the beginning and took a bit of time to relax.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Thoroughly enjoyable evening had by all. Nice bit of nostalgia and good to see Chris Solly showing a bit of his character and sense of humour - a side most don’t often get to see as he’s normally such a quiet and reserved chap.

I really enjoyed myself

Same here and even the Mrs enjoyed it.
    Sat behind the one and only Paulie to make sure he behaved.

Sat behind me and didnt even say hello :disappointed:
    Problem is people are inawe of you mate and arent sure what to say or do when they dont see any highlights
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Swisdom said:

Thoroughly enjoyable evening had by all. Nice bit of nostalgia and good to see Chris Solly showing a bit of his character and sense of humour - a side most don’t often get to see as he’s normally such a quiet and reserved chap.

I really enjoyed myself

Same here and even the Mrs enjoyed it.
    Sat behind the one and only Paulie to make sure he behaved.

Sat behind me and didnt even say hello :disappointed:
    Problem is people are inawe of you mate and arent sure what to say or do when they dont see any highlights
    I'm in awe of anyone who can have highlights.
  • Options

Sage said:

For those their tonight the names were never mentioned but the hashtag lepe 8 was being used alot on twitter back then so I known
    Jackson
    Morrison
    Hamer

Cant think whoelse used the hashtag, andy hughes maybe

Both Hamer and Hughes were signed on August 1st 2011, the players had already been to Lepe by then and come back home before the new season.

Out of the 8, we know Jackson was one of them and I’d assume Morrison was too, Robbie Elliott was let slip too. Unsure on who the remaining 5 would be, but I guess we would never know.
    Had a quick look on twitter last night, i was wrong about hamer because it was John Sullivan, also Paul Hayes mentioned alot back in tweets from that time around lepe8
    Definitely makes sense for it to be Hayes, I am sure he still is involved with the academy, or at least he was for a while a little time ago. They said that some have retired and some are still playing so couldn’t mention names.
  • Options

Sage said:

Very enjoyable evening with some good laughs and stories told. Obviously we were all at The Valley last night for Sols, which was great, but you could see how much love everyone still has for Powell. If I am being a little picky, the only thing I would say would be it could’ve been more focused on Solly including the questions. It was still a fantastic evening but a lot was spoken about the incredible 2011/12 season and not as much on Solly and some stories on him.

Probably sounds like I’m having a bit of a moan, but I’m not, it was very good and all four, and Keith Peacock and Tracey Leaburn, are what our club is all about.

I thought Solly seemed a bit shy at the beginning and took a bit of time to relax.
    Completely agree and think once he had got into the evening a bit more and relaxed, Solly was great.
  • Options

WSS said:

So who on here asked a question.

I did

“What’s the highlight of your career?”
    Actually no, now if Danny Green was there we may have had something to talk about haha.

It was actually about Sollys knee
  • Options
    Solly is a quiet and unassuming chap. Seems he’s quite a shy chap.
    Once he was a little more relaxed you could see he was happier to talk on the mic
  • Options
    Sage said:

Thought that too - Mr Sutherland did well to keep things going at time too IMO

Quality night really enjoyed it - good news about Sollys knee too!
  • Options
    what is the Lepe 8 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

what is the Lepe 8 ?

Its explained in the CASTrust link...
  • Options
    clive said:
    Doesn't explain at first look, what it is?
  • Options
    Gutted bought tickets but JR was ill
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

what is the Lepe 8 ?

Basically 8 players on the PST to Lepe ignored Powell when he said no drinking and on an afternoon off got pissed(knowing the had training that evening) afterwards on the way back to the hotel they didnt spot Powell at the back of the shuttle bus and he could see they had had a few haha.

He said he got them to run around the pitch 7 or 8 times, after tge training session he sent everyone back to the hotel 1 by 1 and just left them 8 and he said he completly lost it with them haha.

We won the league that season so it clearly bonded them all
    I like how they pushed each other throughout the season i.e. I can believe the shouting going on at Half-Time against Stevenage as we were dire that day but would love to know when Taylor punched Stephens in the head for not tracking back
  • Options
    castrust said:

You can find the CAST "Highlights" of the evening here:

https://castrust.org/

While you are there, please complete our survey if you haven't already done so. Thanks

Thanks very much for the write-up - brilliant.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    castrust said:

While you are there, please complete our survey if you haven't already done so. Thanks

Super stuff.
    Just a quick one, Darren Stevens joined in 2011? The Kent cricket allrounder?
  • Options
    Great write up @castrust thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    castrust said:

Very good write up.
  • Options
    castrust said:

Great read
  • Options
    chris solly

Verified account

@cjsolly
    5h5 hours ago
    More
    Thank you for all the positive messages regarding last night, was a brilliant evening with 3 great guests and hosted perfectly by @suthersuk , I was overwhelmed by the amount of you that were there last night the support was amazing!! Thank you again #cafc