Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match thread: Charlton v Doncaster : 3 November 2018

Comments

• I thought the Doncaster support was very poor today, reasonable numbers but amongst the quietest away fans I've heard at The Valley. How many time will an away support be so comprehensively outsung by the home end?
  • 1StevieG said:

One of the worst referees I have seen for a long time and ruined the game for me. Couldn’t count out 10 yards, gave free kicks for great tackles, gave free kicks if you stood too close to the keeper and stopped play when he could have allowed the advantage.

He was one of the better, if not the best ref we've had this season.
    He got a handful of decisions wrong (arguably), including the foul given against Aribo.
  • Among the many positives I take from the comments of those who watched, the one that strikes me is the number of rave reviews for Bielik. People wer understandably nervous about the public comments Bowyer made about him last week. But it seems to have worked well. A good day for our rookie manager.

Cullen immense, too.

• JaShea99 said:

This is such a weird league. How the hell were they 8th before today’s game, yet last week we lost to 17th placed Rochdale??

Today we had Biekek at the back. Last week we didn't.
  • edited November 2018
    Did what had to be done today.

Doncaster afforded us a lot of space and we have the quality to hurt teams when they do that. Grant and Aribo, in particular, were very good, Ward and Reeves good, also, and Cullen makes us tick very nicely. Once ahead we took the foot off the gas a bit, sensible after a high octane first half and with another game in 3 days. We also saw the effect losing Taylor would have on us, the ball stopped sticking up front and while Igor is a goal threat from crosses he just doesn't have the same desire and aggression to get amongst it like Taylor does.

The defence looks a lot less shaky now too. Bielefeld brings balance, Sols is showing class is permanent by being just as solid on the wrong side and Iron Willy looks up to speed now.

Marshall ran around and has played worse but didn't really muster a meaningful attacking contribution. Reeves is becoming one of those players who you notice the most when they are gone.

Steer made a decent save first half a took a couple of crosses. I think he's improving, but still don't really see what's so fantastic about his distribution.

The key for us now is to find a way to break down teams more intent on defending deep and stopping us play. Grant and Taylor have been brilliant, but part of fixing that problem will be them (and the rest of the team) being more clinical - we're missing 1 or 2 really good chances every week at the moment. Not such a problem in a game like this where you get 4 or 5 good chances, more of an issue the weeks we only make 2 chances. Ward, Cullen and Reeves also all overdue a goal.
  • Simonsen said:

JaShea99 said:

This is such a weird league. How the hell were they 8th before today’s game, yet last week we lost to 17th placed Rochdale??

Today we had Biekek at the back. Last week we didn't.
    Not to mention Rochdale came out all guns blazing and didnt let us settle on the ball - Doncaster on the hand didnt press us quite so much which gave the likes of Reeves / Cullen / Ward time to pick their passes
  • Redrobo said:

A

1StevieG said:

One of the worst referees I have seen for a long time and ruined the game for me. Couldn’t count out 10 yards, gave free kicks for great tackles, gave free kicks if you stood too close to the keeper and stopped play when he could have allowed the advantage.

Seriously?

One of the best this season for me. I wish we could have him every week.
    What?? He wasn’t the worst but every week? No thanks. The fact it took about the third foul on Taylor for anything to be done, the reluctance to book any Donny players after fouls, even when they blatantly walked away from him and the ridiculous booking of Ward after he’d been wrestled to the ground are just a few things that spring to mind. He had no authority and their players didn’t take him seriously hence why they continued to play as they did with no consequences. The booking of their player who walked forwards before we could take a FK at the end of the first half was about the only good thing he did.
  • edited November 2018

One aspect I liked today was how Bowyer dealt with the Doncaster subs... Wilks (fake Taylor) came on and instantly went up against Solly, fouled him and a little while later switched flank to face Dijksteel as he was getting zero luck against Chris

Might not have been the reason for the sub yet Bowyer took Anfernee off later on yet when that happened Solly naturally switched and so did Wilks

Dijksteel came off because he felt his hamstring and indicated that to the bench, as soon as he did, Lapslie and Sarr warmed up. Naturally it was the right call to bring Sarr on at left back and switch Solly to his preferred and best side.
  • purdis said:

I would also like to see Bielik play in front of Bauer and Pearce upon BFG’s return as Bielik is so good at forward runs and will make things happen.

That's how we set up at Southend and it worked a treat

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    I think Sarr left back and Solly right back is a better bet personally. Good performance against a disapointing Doncaster side. I think they played the way most crap teams do against us in this league, but we got the second goal. These teams know they can't go toe to toe with us. Even when they are two goals down they hope for the goal out of the blue and the resultant panic! You could see the eye move towards Walsall in the second half.
  • I though Sarr was safe when he came on - he is tall and part of it is a deception.
  • I though Sarr was safe when he came on - he is tall and part of it is a deception.

Agreed. I like him and is very good on the ball. If he was a new signing within the last couple of seasons, many would be a big fan I think. Instead, I feel that people remember too often the first few months in the season he joined. He’s a decent player.

Had to tell someone to wind it in when he came on for Dijksteel, saying Bowyer doesn’t know what he is doing and is wasting a substitution. This particular ‘fan’ is a proper odd ball, overly aggressive with his family and generally does my head in. Anyway, that’s off my chest.

All in all, genuinely believe it’s a shame that Sarr has our captain in front of him as he would probably get into every other side in this division.
  • edited November 2018
  • I thought the Doncaster support was very poor today, reasonable numbers but amongst the quietest away fans I've heard at The Valley. How many time will an away support be so comprehensively outsung by the home end?

To be fair they didn't have much to sing about.
  • I thought that until we scored that our defending as a unit was all over the place again. Luckily Donny were not very good.

A bit like the Rochdale game, teams are finding a lot of space to play through us.

We didn’t deserve to go 1-0 up but played some nice stuff after that, running out deserved winners.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    a terrific if expected win against a side which has lost a bit of form .. let's hope that we can (once again) keep this good form going. Next week at Walsall and Mansfield will be another good test of our durability
  • edited November 2018
    I think Bowyer deserves credit for yesterday. Picked the right team, made the right substitutions, and managed the second half like the great Alan Curbishley would have done. Doncaster were much better than us first 25 minutes, and the travelling fans were probably looking at the league table and working out where they could be at 5pm. Our midfield munchkins still worry me, I feel we need a Pratley type player in there somewhere. Aribo is a real talent, and Reeves does keep improving. Tuesday now critical to this season.
  • good to see that Ward went the distance
  • strange how 'time-wasting' has become 'good game management'.

It's game managment when we do it, time wasting when it is against us, same as the other 91 clubs :tongue:
  • Hopefully Igor and Grant can lead the line effectively against Warsaw, I reckon Fosu will play instead of Ward too and possibly Sarr in at the back? (Sollys knee, Bielik got a knock near the end, Dijksteel looked tired) and then a chance to further rest first teamers for the cup game
  • We seem to struggle against the poorer teams and do well against the better sides , so all set for another good one on Tuesday night. If we win there, we're be back in 6th place and things won't be looking so bad.