Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol v Diesel Price .

Comments

• Options

what i want to know is that how the hell can i pay £124.6 per ltr for dielsel in Walsall Sainsbury and then sainsbury enfield charge me £1.36 ltr piss take of the highest order

I’m guessing but it’s because the cost of the petrol station in terms of business rates and other costs are higher in Enfield than Walsall, but that’s a guess.

• Options

Diesel in Luxembourg costs approx. 1.16 EUR per litre and Petrol 1.20 EUR per litre. So, thats just over a pound per litre.

That's because Luxembourg's annual contribution to the EU is a mere €331 million.

Grabs coat and runs...…..
  • Options

what i want to know is that how the hell can i pay £124.6 per ltr for dielsel in Walsall Sainsbury and then sainsbury enfield charge me £1.36 ltr piss take of the highest order

You've obviously not gone out to the Walsall Badlands after dark.

• Options
    I always thought diesel was cheaper to refine than petrol so don't really understand the price difference.
  • Options
    It is cheaper to refine.
  • Options

It is cheaper to refine.

So why is it more expensive?
  • Options

It is cheaper to refine.

So why is it more expensive?
    Because the oil companies have got you over a barrel 😀
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Like many things, companies will ask what they think they can get for something, not always what it costs them to make. The fact is, if Diesel is only a few pence more expensive than petrol, it is still cheaper to run a diesel. So it shouldn't affect demand for it.
  • Options

Like many things, companies will ask what they think they can get for something, not always what it costs them to make. The fact is, if Diesel is only a few pence more expensive than petrol, it is still cheaper to run a diesel. So it shouldn't affect demand for it.

Diesels will soon be forced off the road anyway once we all go electric. I'm sure it will go well.

The politicians always seem to forget about the infrastucture, the pollution involved in generating electricity and the environmental cost of scrappage/building new vehicles. The level of debate is pitiful.
  • Options
    We have driverless cars on the horizon as well as electric cars. The transition is going to be complex, but it offers possibilities for this country to be at the heart of it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We have driverless cars on the horizon as well as electric cars. The transition is going to be complex, but it offers possibilities for this country to be at the heart of it!

Having seen the testing of driverless vehicles on the Greenwich peninsula we have a long way to go.
  • Options
    Do these driverless cars have 'test pilots' with them to monitor what happens?

It's just that my missus would happily do that and tell the autopilot where he was going wrong.

again

and again

relentlessly

• Options

Having seen the testing of driverless vehicles on the Greenwich peninsula we have a long way to go.
    Electric/Battery car sales represent 1% of the new car sales in the UK, there would have to be a seismic shift in the market, not a "transition". Add in the amount of charging points needed to keep any increase running and the doubts being cast if we can produce enough electricity via the National Grid to cope with the change we are a million miles away.
  • Options
    FWIW I had a conversation with one of Asda's fuel buyers and he said that the proximity of an Asda petrol station influences petrol prices at nearby petrol stations too - an Asda close by usually equates to prices being 2-4p a litre cheaper.
  • Options
    I read an article, which suggested that the production of the batteries produces the same amount of pollution as driving a diesel car for 10000 miles. The batteries are manly produced Asia so it is not our problem.
  • Options
    The electric car future should involve some kind of F1 type KERS system coupled with RF current transmission already seen with wireless phone charging. Until then, we’re living in an age where motorists will be endlessly stung for the evolution to that point.

Installing ‘plug in’ charging points in supermarkets and new build houses is like going back to wired remote controls for your VCR.
    Complete and utter waste of time and money.
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:

The electric car future should involve some kind of F1 type KERS system coupled with RF current transmission already seen with wireless phone charging. Until then, we’re living in an age where motorists will be endlessly stung for the evolution to that point.

Installing ‘plug in’ charging points in supermarkets and new build houses is like going back to wired remote controls for your VCR.
    Complete and utter waste of time and money.

My father (age 87) had an idea regarding the recharging of the battery for electric cars. Said there should be an exchange system set up at petrol garages (seeing as they will be obsolete in years to come) where they keep fully charged batteries & you simply drive in & swap over your old one for a new one. I dont know if he meant the actual one you were using or a spare one (like a spare tyre) that you kept in the boot, so when yours ran out you had a new one ready to go.

I have no idea if electric cars work on the standard car sized battery or bigger.....butvI suppose its a thought.
  • Options
    Yes, I had that idea too - or something similar. My idea was to have a standard housing on the underside of every car that can hold between two to four standard batteries. Then you can top up rather than let the battery run dry and get caught out. I'm sure pre-charged batteries could be changed with spent ones within seconds mechanically. Then the spent batteries could be re-charged by the garage!
  • Options
    Electric cars are nowhere near as 'green' as we're told they are. The lifespan of the batteries is questionable under heavy use and the cost is still prohibitive.

Politicians seem pretty clueless over the whole pollution issue and the concept of 'zero emissions' is very misleading. Maybe the manufacturing of electric vehicles, batteries and the generating of electricity is done by magic?
  • Options
    It seems that most diesel is produced abroad in Russia etc. Our North Sea oil is not the best for refining into diesel. Our 7 UK refineries produce lots of petrol, hence a bit of a glut. Still doesn't explain the price differential around Bromley. 11 pence a litre is taking the proverbial. Almost worth visiting the Sainsburys in Charlton on match days. Oh, hang on, i don't do that anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The battery exchanging idea would not work.

1) all electric cars have different batteries which are car specific to ensure the greatest density. Electric cars would have to increase in size if they were fitted with a consumer-friendly way of exchanging batteries.

2) you might end up paying for a battery which is in a poor condition. You'd swap out your nice new battery at the station and get one that's 5 years old and half as good.
  • Options
    I am saying all cars would have to have their battery systems standardised. These are newly designed cars - not existing cars. The platform would need to be designed around the batteries. In terms of battery condition, you would have a minimum range - so if you get a better one than minimum, you have a good feeling because you have won on the deal. But all batteries have to be above the minimum.

I have thought about it :)

• Options

I am saying all cars would have to have their battery systems standardised. These are newly designed cars - not existing cars. The platform would need to be designed around the batteries. In terms of battery condition, you would have a minimum range - so if you get a better one than minimum, you have a good feeling because you have won on the deal. But all batteries have to be above the minimum.

I have thought about it :)

Type/size of car hugely affects range.

Where I live, the most common form of transport is electric based, I've used an ebike almost everyday for the last 7 years, I'm not convinced a one type fits all batter would ever work, a mini and a 7 seater could never run off the same batteries.

I bought a new bike yesterday and picking the batteries was the most complicated part, as all the different options all have different benefits.
  • Options
    And yes, thats WD40 and a cig in the same hand......
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    When we have driverless cars, performance will not be such a factor. But higher performance cars would have more batteries I would have thought. The power output could be doubled by how they are set up. I think the charging issue has to be solved. This is one solution.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Different cars would require different wattages and different ampages (is that the right word) though

Try and have a look, if you can at the charging facilities in Shenzhen, as a city, it's on the right track, although having most of the population living in apartments, rather than houses clearly helps a lot, as does it being such a 'new' city.

Electric cars are much, much closer than driverless cars, so I'm not sure thats going to help much.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Two connected 1.5 volt batteries become 3 volt. There you have the basic principle. I think the speed technology travels driverless cars are not that far off. There needs to be a cut off date - maybe in 10 to 15 years time - where the government commits to going fully driverless and fully electric.

It isn't easy, and I enjoy driving so I hate to say it, but if the government did this, there is an opportunity to put this country at the front of the technology.
  • Options

Two connected 1.5 volt batteries become 3 volt. There you have the basic principle. I think the speed technology travels driverless cars are not that far off. There needs to be a cut off date - maybe in 10 to 15 years time - where the government commits to going fully driverless and fully electric.

It isn't easy, and I enjoy driving so I hate to say it, but if the government did this, there is an opportunity to put this country at the front of the technology.

Is it likely given our current set of politicians?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    No it isn't but when something is changing, it can be something to fear or something to embrace for the opportunity it is. As Churchill would say, Give me the solutions, not the problems. That is the attitude we need.
  • Options

No it isn't but when something is changing, it can be something to fear or something to embrace for the opportunity it is. As Churchill would say, Give me the solutions, not the problems. That is the attitude we need.

Let's hope we are at the forefront.