Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paraplegic man drags himself through airport

Comments

• Options

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

your view and welcome to it .. keep waving those flags like a good boy scout
    So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

You really are off beam mate.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

your view and welcome to it .. keep waving those flags like a good boy scout
    So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

You really are off beam mate.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

don't mate me mate
    Grow up
    mmm in your case it's not a case of childishness, more like senility .. it can be treated if you take action now
    That's the second time today you've suggested some sort of treatment to a poster on here. It was really classy the first time, too.

I'm more on your side of the debate, although I sort of wish I wasn't, just because of association.
    if people start to get verbally/typingly aggressive what ever the correct verb is, it suggests to me that they have mental health issues, especially when they make comments that they would not make except in the comfortable anonymity of a chat room .. and as to wishing not to be on 'my side' though grudgingly you are .. suit yourself
    And that's my irony limit reached for the day
  • Options
    Addickted said:

A reasonable alternative was offered as a temporary measure. Not ideal, but an suitable option whilst he waited for his chair to be returned. He chose not to take it.

He then chose to drag himself around the airport on his arse with two mates filming him from different angles.

He then talks about suing the airport.

Tending to side with @Lincsaddick on this one.

People with major handicaps get well pissed off at repeated “reasonable alternative temporary measures”.....they come up against that attitude time and time again and from time to time they have enough and understandably lash out.
    There should be powered wheelchairs at ALL airports as a matter of course.
  • Options

Addickted said:

A reasonable alternative was offered as a temporary measure. Not ideal, but an suitable option whilst he waited for his chair to be returned. He chose not to take it.

He then chose to drag himself around the airport on his arse with two mates filming him from different angles.

People with major handicaps get well pissed off at repeated “reasonable alternative temporary measures”.....they come up against that attitude time and time again and from time to time they have enough and understandably lash out.
    I'm curious as to why you think all airports should provide a powered wheelchair, why is having a member of staff help you not good enough?
  • Options

Addickted said:

I'm curious as to why you think all airports should provide a powered wheelchair, why is having a member of staff help you not good enough?
    The point is that the airport didn't provide him with the means to get from point A to B independently.
  • Options

Addickted said:

@Daddy_Pig is right. There should be wheelchairs available so that the independence of the individual is maintained should they require that. Not all persons needing a wheelchair and not wishing to be pushed will have the ability to use a self propelled chair. Cost has been raised but that’s nonsense. Any airport can afford to have and make available say half a dozen self wheeled chairs and perhaps a couple of powered chairs.

• Options
    Missed It said:

I (fortunately) do not know the challenges of disability and feel sorry for the guys situation.

If his intent is to raise awareness for availability for suitable equipment in the future then he has achieved this.

However I struggle to see how it is “degrading” to have someone push you in a wheelchair but not degrading for you to drag yourself along an airport floor on your arse and then on a luggage cart.

As others have said - this may be 100% due to his natural competitive nature.....but the talk of suing the airport makes me wonder.

I'm not sure there isn't a liability issue here. Not every disabled person coming through the airport is an paralympic athlete, some may be severely infirm or limited in their mobility. The airport may be obliged by their insurers to only allow use of their wheelchairs under the supervision of airport staff. As owners of the wheelchair, they have a responsibility to anyone who uses it and the other airport customers.

It's unfortunate that this man's wheelchair got lost but I feel his reaction to the situation was not constructive.
    Militancy comes in many shapes and forms.

I suspect you are right around liability. I'd also suggest there is an element of control in this. I have no doubt (sadly) that self propelled wheelchairs would go missing as soon as they were used.

Seems to me that Luton Airport did the right thing - I look foward to seeing the outcome of the legal action...
  • Options

Addickted said:

@Daddy_Pig is right. There should be wheelchairs available so that the independence of the individual is maintained should they require that. Not all persons needing a wheelchair and not wishing to be pushed will have the ability to use a self propelled chair. Cost has been raised but that’s nonsense. Any airport can afford to have and make available say half a dozen self wheeled chairs and perhaps a couple of powered chairs.

Of course it's not nonsense about cost. These wheelchairs would go missing at an alarming rate. As soon as the Clampit family returned from Benidorm gran would be wheeled out in a nice new wheelchair.
  • Options
    What happens to them battery powered buggies that took people from A to B at airports? Are they not seen as acceptable ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What happens to them battery powered buggies that took people from A to B at airports? Are they not seen as acceptable ?

Luton doesn't have one.

He didn't want a powered wheelchair, he wanted one he could propel himself, all Luton had was a high backed one that has to be pushed and that you strap the passenger into.

From what it says in the BBC report (which clearly most on here didn't read) the vast majority of airports offer this (so it's not an inspiration, safety or liability issue, unless Luton is somehow unique in this). He says this is the first time he's had this problem at any airport in the world.

Many people with disabilities are
    fiercely independent (especially an Olympic competitor) and would find the prospect of being strapped into a chair and wheeled around like they are helpless incredibly offensive and belittling.
    As I stated in my original post, I am not convinced this can be the first time he has experienced this.

My own experience is that none of the airports I visited over the last couple of years could provide a self-propelled wheelchair. He has been very lucky if he has managed to get one in all the airports he visited.

And I have travelled widely in the last couple of years: Jakarta, Singapore, Beijing, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Miami, Tbilisi, Heathrow, Gatwick, Munich, Frankfurt, and a few others.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Addickted said:

How can one possibly answer that question without knowing the individual?
    I would not wish upon anyone what these people have to go through on occasions in their lives over and over again.
    Some disabled folk don’t want to be pushed around.....can’t you understand that....and believe you me I DO KNOW what I am talking about here. I doubt there is anyone on this message board who has more experience than me when it comes to knowing about what makes disabled folk tick.....though I have to say they are of course all different.....but there are some underlying traits that go through their united existence and shared experiences.
    Some of them will be perfectly happy to allow someone to push them around in a wheelchair.......but just as many wouldn’t......that is an irrefutable fact Stu.
    Some would be absolutely pissed off were that to be the only alternative.....and that I can assure you 100% would be the case with many of them.....particularly from the younger generation......they can become fiercely independent and would see that as very very demeaning indeed.
    All airports should have electric wheelchairs ‘on offer’ for those who want them....end of.
    There is a very old proverb which applies perfectly for this situation.
    “Walk a mile in my shoes.”........Until you have, it’s likely you just won’t get it.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Luton doesn't have one.

He didn't want a powered wheelchair, he wanted one he could propel himself, all Luton had was a high backed one that has to be pushed and that you strap the passenger into.

From what it says in the BBC report (which clearly most on here didn't read) the vast majority of airports offer this (so it's not an inspiration, safety or liability issue, unless Luton is somehow unique in this). He says this is the first time he's had this problem at any airport in the world.

fiercely independent (especially an Olympic competitor) and would find the prospect of being strapped into a chair and wheeled around like they are helpless incredibly offensive and belittling.
    As I stated in my original post, I am not convinced this can be the first time he has experienced this.

My own experience is that none of the airports I visited over the last couple of years could provide a self-propelled wheelchair. He has been very lucky if he has managed to get one in all the airports he visited.

And I have travelled widely in the last couple of years: Jakarta, Singapore, Beijing, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Miami, Tbilisi, Heathrow, Gatwick, Munich, Frankfurt, and a few others.
    Gatwick has them as virgin stated in the article they are available everywhere they operate. Again, we're just talking about ones where the passenger can turn the wheels themselves, not powered/motorised devices. Unless you went looking specifically you wouldn't instantly.be aware if the chairs.ciild be self propelled (the self here is the passenger, not the chair). I don't think anybody is expecting airports to provide thousands of pounds worth of kit, just a standard wheelchair the occupier can wheel around, rather than being strapped in and pushed.
  • Options

Addickted said:

How can you possibly answer that question without knowing the individual?
    I would not wish upon anyone what these people have to go through on occasions in their lives over and over again.
    Some disabled folk don’t want to be pushed around.....can’t you understand that....and believe you me I DO KNOW what I am talking about here. I doubt there is anyone on this message board who has more experience than me when it comes to knowing about what makes disabled folk tick.....though I have to say they are of course all different.....but there are some underlying traits that go through their united existence and experiences.
    Some of them will be happy to allow someone to push them around in a wheelchair.......but just as many wouldn’t......that is a fact mate.
    Some would be absolutely pissed off were that to be the only alternative.....of that I can assure you 100% would be the case with many of them.....particularly from the younger generation......they can become fiercely independent and would see that as very very demeaning indeed.
    All airports should have electric wheelchairs ‘on offer’ for those who want them....end of.
    There is a very old proverb which applies perfectly for this situation.
    “Walk a mile in my shoes.”........Until you have, you maybe won’t get it Stu.
    Bang on the money.

• Options
    Sorry we fucked up and left your wheelchair being. We know it’s not ideal but let us help you with this wheelchair.

No thanks, I want to drag myself along the floor in protest.
  • Options
    His reply......”no it fucking ain’t ideal and who are you to tell me it is and that I should accept it.”
  • Options

Drops case as says airport now has the equipment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46133121

So, no pay out but airport improves facilities for people with disabilities.

Seems he was protesting for a good reason and not just to make a quick buck.

He brought about positive change so well done him.

Shame some only want to assume the worst motives in others.

Well said.
  • Options
    Just seen this thread - the idea that this guy (especially having seen the video) was after money is ridiculous. The chair they were offering him was a piece of shit, I'm not surprised he was angry and kicked up a fuss. Fair enough if you think he overreacted (I don't) but "after a few quid" is just nonsense. Good for him that he managed to affect change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Drops case as says airport now has the equipment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46133121

So, no pay out but airport improves facilities for people with disabilities.

Seems he was protesting for a good reason and not just to make a quick buck.

He brought about positive change so well done him.

Shame some only want to assume the worst motives in others.

Good news
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Just seen this thread - the idea that this guy (especially having seen the video) was after money is ridiculous. The chair they were offering him was a piece of shit, I'm not surprised he was angry and kicked up a fuss. Fair enough if you think he overreacted (I don't) but "after a few quid" is just nonsense. Good for him that he managed to affect change.

I dont think he was after a few quid.
    I think he caused an unnecessary scene.

the airline fucked up and the airport tried to assist best they could at that time, and he refused the assistance.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I dont think he was after a few quid.
    I think he caused an unnecessary scene.

the airline fucked up and the airport tried to assist best they could at that time, and he refused the assistance.
    If he hadn’t made a fuss do you really think that anything would have changed ? He highlighted a problem and things have been made better as a result.

• Options

Addickted said:

My very elderly aunt had never driven anything until she purchased an electric scooter. Having heard about and witnessed her ability to control it I shudder to think about the mayhem she would cause in an airport.
  • Options
    My understanding is that this isn't just about powered wheelchairs, but one that he could have self-propelled. It makes him sound petty to imply he's just after a deluxe chair. I don't think that's it at all.

He's got himself into a mindset where he's accepted his situation and owned it. To him, moving himself around is hugely important to that mindset. Being pushed around in what looks like a rusty old hospital wheelchair from the 1920s must feel shitty for him so he objected to it. He could push himself around in a luggage cart so he chose that option instead.

The filming of him dragging around the floor was a way to get the problem fixed for him and other people. I get why some might see that as cynical, but hey, it worked.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

My understanding is that this isn't just about powered wheelchairs, but one that he could have self-propelled. It makes him sound petty to imply he's just after a deluxe chair. I don't think that's it at all.

He's got himself into a mindset where he's accepted his situation and owned it. To him, moving himself around is hugely important to that mindset. Being pushed around in what looks like a rusty old hospital wheelchair from the 1920s must feel shitty for him so he objected to it. He could push himself around in a luggage cart so he chose that option instead.

The filming of him dragging around the floor was a way to get the problem fixed for him and other people. I get why some might see that as cynical, but hey, it worked.

So if he had got his self-propelling wheelchair and had an accident, I wonder who would have been liable for any damages, him, or the airport that provided the wheelchair.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

So if he had got his self-propelling wheelchair and had an accident, I wonder who would have been liable for any damages, him, or the airport that provided the wheelchair.
    I'll be honest, I don't really see the connection to the discussion!
  • Options
    Hex said:

Addickted said:

My very elderly aunt had never driven anything until she purchased an electric scooter. Having heard about and witnessed her ability to control it I shudder to think about the mayhem she would cause in an airport.
    We are talking about electric wheelchairs ‘not’ electric scooters......an entirely different means of transportation.
  • Options

Much better to drag yourself around on the floor and make a scene so that everyone notices
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Much better to drag yourself around on the floor and make a scene so that everyone notices
    Yep, that was what he was doing and it proved a success.