Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Doncaster | Sat 03 Nov | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

2»

Comments

• Options
    Lost the faith.

O.2
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Hold on, hold on. Usually I would say Charlton to bounce back. But it is Seb's 1,000th consecutive game since he last missed one. And were we not playing Doncaster on his 500th and 750th when we lost both times. (According to his twitter). Bound to go wrong ain't it? :smiley:
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We look like a team that's drifting with a young, inexperienced manager and only one (also young and inexperienced) assistant. One of the hardest things to do in football is reverse a slide. Bowyer managed it last year with the Pompey/Blackburn performances, which were gutsy, gritty, and a little lucky. It was always bound to happen this season, and the way that things are we were always going to be going on this journey with Bowyer at the helm learning on the go.

Tactically I don't think we need to change things in terms of shape. It's more about approach. Getting back to basics and looking to play through our midfield. They were completely nullified against Rochdale, we just went back to front, and as a result we looked poor for large stretches.

I'd be tempted to bring Sarr back in to the side. His distribution from the back is a major help in us playing out. I'd be tempted to bring him in at CB and move Bielik into midfield but Cullen just looks so much better at the base of the diamond than he does on the right of it. He looked absolutely lost in the first half on Saturday, and in the first half against Scunny.

Taylor would be a big miss, but perhaps without him it will force us to play shorter. Unless Bowyer wants to go 4-3-3 with Fosu and Ward either side of Grant--whose hold up play isn't great--I think Igor deserves a run out. Whenever he's come on he's looked a nuisance but desperately short of service. So if we can get playing through our midfield and get him some decent service he should do well at this level.

Again, it's little things, tweaks, that we need right now. A bit of nous, a bit of patience, a bit more solidity in defense, take that extra touch to play out in possession.

It took a long time for Curbishley to get going , 6 seasons of mediocrity. We should be patient with Bowyerr, even if for no reason more than fear of something worse.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I really hope Bowyer shakes it up a bit both personnel and formation wise with a 4-4-2 along the following lines;

Steer

Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr

Ward Pratley Cullen Fosu

Vetokele Grant

Subs, Phillips Djiksteel Marshall Lapslie Aribo Reeves Ajose

I like that line up
  • Options
    2-0 To the favour of Doncaster
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

RedChaser said:

I really hope Bowyer shakes it up a bit both personnel and formation wise with a 4-4-2 along the following lines;

Steer

Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr

Ward Pratley Cullen Fosu

Vetokele Grant

Subs, Phillips Djiksteel Marshall Lapslie Aribo Reeves Ajose

I like that line up
    I'd like to see that too.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Is there any way to watch the game while ion holiday in Greece?
  • Options

Why would you bother, just watch 3pm games that are shown abroad and then get the result.
  • Options
    It is time for a proper run now - not narrowly winning tight games - that flatters to deceive. A few games where we impose ourselves on teams - starting from tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@Alwaysneil I've pm'd you.
  • Options
    Charlton have doubts over striker Lyle Taylor, who had a scan on an injury on Thursday. Lewis Page and Jake Forster-Caskey remain sidelined. Patrick Bauer is now running again, but is out, and Billy Clarke is set to feature again for Charlton’s U23s on Monday.

For Doncaster, Andy Butler and Niall Mason are available following suspension. Doncaster boss Grant McCann said at his pre-match press briefing that he has injury doubts over two players but did not name them.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bdc48b8f147a/match-preview-charlton-v-doncaster-rovers
  • Options
    Really hope we can get back on track in this one but with Taylor now out as well I doubt it. The injuries show no let up, 2-0 to Doncaster.
  • Options
    2-1 to Charlton, but if we're losing at half time flood the pitch :smile:
  • Options
    Bounce back 2-1 to us, Got to stick with Lee, and Jonny. Love Lee my type of player and hopefully manager.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Believe Taylor will be fit to play. I think that we will continue to see Pratley at center back, personally would bring in Bielik but that’s for tomorrow to find out.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a little shake up though and have Sarr at left back, Bielik in the team and one or two others changed, like Fosu starting, Aribo on the bench too. That means the team could look something like:

Steer
    Solly Pratley Pearce Sarr
    Bielik
    Cullen Reeves
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Phillips, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Aribo, Ward, Vetokele, Ajose

This team could work better, maybe swap Fosu for Ward. Pratley in midfield for Bielik, don’t like the way round we went last week. Cullen is also better at the base. But Reeves could support Sarr quite well in this way. However, I don’t think that will happen and believe we continue with the main of the team, even if I think we could do better.

Steer
    Dijksteel Pratley Pearce Solly
    Cullen
    Reeves Aribo
    Ward
    Taylor Grant

Phillips, Sarr, Bielik, Lapslie, Fosu, Vetokele, Ajose

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Doncaster Rovers
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Difficult to see where a goal is coming from with no Taylor and next to no service from the midfield. The defence will have at least one lapse of concentration so at best 0-0 at worst a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat.

We'll start off ok with lots of possession and pressure but no end product. Doncaster will then grow into the game (a la Coventry and Oxford).

Just pray we can hang on to the 0-0.

Should be a real thriller to watch and, mug that I am, I will God willing.
  • Options
    Impossible to predict Charlton matches.
    No correlation between one match to the next.
    Sunny and fresh and no precipitation.
  • Options
    I have decided to go, at the last minute, despite being very angry at the owners comments. I think Sarr has to play because he is indirectly/directly a goal threat and Bowyer needs to start working on the statistics a bit. I would favour Sarr at left back as it gives us an extra tall player for set pieces. He won't, but I'd also bring Lapslie in for Cullen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Santa junior is coming along with me to this one. He's not a lucky fan so I'd recommend putting a few quid on an away win ☹️
  • Options
    Decided not to bother with the 2.5 hour drive each-way..... which is a surprise to even myself. Do one, Roland
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I have an open message to Aribo and Fosu. You are both potentially players for a higher level - so get your fingers out and start scoring goals against the crap you face in this league. Or do you want to stay at this level?
  • Options
    Have given up on predictions after getting it so wrong last week. Will be there though .
  • Options
    Think we will win this for a much needed 3 points

2-1, so the usual tense finish. Grant and Igor with the goals
  • Options
    Surely surely surely we can win this one.
  • Options
    i would like to see 3 at the back again, especially as our diamond system not producing many points.

Steer

Dijkstil Pratley Pearce

Cullen Bielik Aribo Reeves

Grant Fosu

Taylor

An interesting experiment,
  • Options
    Be aware that one bore of the Dartford Tunnel is closed, and over height trucks are being diverted to Blackwall Tunnel. A2 looks pretty bad.
  • Options
    My daughter had a ticket for today. She sees us 3-4 times a year these days and hasn't seen us lose for 5 years. Unfortunately, she had to cancel at the last minute so slightly less confident now. 2-1 to us.