Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where's the annual moan about Halloween thread?

Comments

• Looking forward to taking the kids out. Won't be able to light the pumpkins until I'm back... Might be too late for the littluns, so will instead attract the neighborhood yoot and ne'er do wells. Ok as long as I answer the door with my homemade Freddy Krueger glove on display
  • edited October 2018
    Readyimage
  • edited October 2018
    Quite sad actually, walking home from Station I’ve passed just two houses out of 100+ houses with pumpkins, decorations on display. Going to be slim pickings for the kids
  • edited October 2018
    Sometimes a gated drive is not always a pain in the arse.
  • Riviera said:

The UK will spend £420m on it this year!

Quite enjoy it and my daughter (aged 13) says she prefers it to Christmas! Heard on the radio today that the Americans will spend around $10.2 billion dollars on it...

• Seeing @Carter comments just reminded me of a couple years back, while out walking JJ in the evening towards one of our local pubs. Some youths hoovering outside decided to leap from the bushes surrounding the pub, now I'll hold my hands I nigh shit my pants, JJ doest take to kind to being scared gave them a volley of abuse which saw them grovelling back through the mud on their hands and knees much to their girlfriends amusement as one of them hand warned them about him. :)
  • Should have stuck a Roland head on this.

• Isn’t there normally a thread talking about how the fireworks scare little snoopy and make him poop the house etc?
  • We didn't get any callers last year,but I have bought some sweets in case.

I've put them in a bowl, but not sure if it is best to hand a couple of sweets to them when they call or let them help themselves. What do others do?

I pull up the drawbridge
  • It's a bit of fun for kids and it annoys fundamentalist can, what's not to like?

Only negative I can see is that it diminishes bonfire night a little with no penny for the guy but still plenty of displays to go to.

We're always desperate to copy the US.
    As @Riviera has correctly pointed out it's a British tradition that was exported to the colonies.

In Cornwall, Scotland and elsewhere it has always been celebrated.

Don't be so anglocentric and celebrate it
    Cant see them getting many treats in Scotland
  • Sponsored links:

• Kids love it so I love it. Left work early so I can enjoy going round with them.

Swear all those people that moan about it don’t even get impacted by it. It’s rare that anyone knocks on your door unless you’ve got a pumpkin / decorations on show.

Good bit of neighbourhood spirit on display and all for what, the price of a bag of funsize

I’ve just been out with my daughter and it was great fun. Only knocked on pre arranged houses and ones that are obviously embracing it.

Really nice atmosphere and loads of kids/families enjoying themselves.
    Families knew how not to enjoy themselves when I was young - misery maketh the man.
  • Halloween - American crap
    baby shower - American crap
    etc....

Chance for shops to sell tat...

Typical lefty trying to discourage commerce 🤨
  • Quite sad actually, walking home from Station I’ve passed just two houses out of 100+ houses with pumpkins, decorations on display. Going to be slim pickings for the kids

Going strong in my rd in Sundridge Park mate. Most houses have pumpkins inc ours and kids with their parents everywhere. Baby dressed up in his Halloween costume for nursery and when I picked him up, all the nursery workers had made some sort of effort and they were off to watch Halloween at the cinema tonight, paid by the nursery boss. What’s there not to like.
  • As with all the best celebrations...the Irish are claiming it as our own!! (to be fair, I always thought it was American tosh, but I’ll be embracing it now as my own!!! :smiley:

• edited October 2018
    The Irish get everywhere!
  • We’ve had 6 lots of kids come round so far. No pumpkin or decorations, but have loads of Heroes/Celebrations by the door.

All the kids have made a great effort with face painting & costumes and they are all, without fail, so polite. Having to tell them it’s ok to take a handful instead of the one little sweet they’re taking.
  • Without sounding a party pooper ..I wonder how many little uns are disturbed by these macabre costumes etc

• Sponsored links:

• Not sure why there hasn’t been a thread but the ridiculous overreaction to fireworks has more than compensated.
  • edited October 2018
    I think the British Halloween is a bit of a travesty. Because it’s been “introduced” to us what we have is exactly what the merchandisers want us to have. Cheap plastic decorations and kids gorging on bucket loads of sweet rubbish. We don’t have a family history to fall back on and enjoy like we do at Christmas and Easter to go with our celebration. It’s all therefore a bit hollow. People think it’s been introduced from the USA and in part it has. We get the ott shallow American version. Mentioned it before but the traditions surrounding Halloween are steeped in Central European myth and legend. It’s a shame I think we never embraced it here because on the continent it’s something completely different to what we have imported and looks like a lot of family fun. I suppose the current generation of children are starting down the path of creating family traditions.
  • lolwray said:

Without sounding a party pooper ..I wonder how many little uns are disturbed by these macabre costumes etc

None. Kids live scary stories just read most fairy stories or Harry potter.
  • It's gone 7:30pm and we've not had one knock on the door. I'm going to enjoy scoffing all the sweets and biscuits we got in for Halloween!
  • Carter said:

I'll say this

Every single one of the kids that have knocked on the door tonight have been a joy, dressed up very polite and like someone else said, they needed encouragement to take more sweets than just one

Its not my cup of tea and never really has been but I can absolutely see why parents and kids do it

You can swap them for the kids round where I live - they'd be robbing your house....
  • lolwray said:

Without sounding a party pooper ..I wonder how many little uns are disturbed by these macabre costumes etc

None. Kids live scary stories just read most fairy stories or Harry potter.
    Maybe it's me rather than the kids !
  • Carter said:

I'll say this

Every single one of the kids that have knocked on the door tonight have been a joy, dressed up very polite and like someone else said, they needed encouragement to take more sweets than just one

Its not my cup of tea and never really has been but I can absolutely see why parents and kids do it

You can swap them for the kids round where I live - they'd be robbing your house....
    Where do you live out of interest?
  • I saw a couple of families out all dressed up on my walk back from the bus stop, which slightly made up for having to help the bus driver clean egg off the windscreen after yobs threw them at the bus on the way out of Dartford.