Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• Options
    Bobby hunt..played a few games for us in the 70s ..he looked about 50 at the time
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Bobby hunt..played a few games for us in the 70s ..he looked about 50 at the time

Small body and big head.
  • Options
    Today's randoms are Brentford players I used to watch in the 82-83 season......

Paddy Roche - Goalie from Man Utd.
    Terry Rowe - Right back
    Graham Wilkins - Crap left back (brother of Dean and Ray)
    Alan Whitehead - Centre-back. Good for a headed goal.
    Jim McNichol - Centre-back with a rocket shot.
    Stan Bowles - Brilliant player and by no means obscure! Great penalty taker and a great laugh.
    Chris Kamara - A few goals and many tackles in midfield. Club captain.
    Terry Hurlock - Very hard but no more dirty than lots of others of that era. 100% every time he played.
    Gary Roberts - Speedy and had goals from left wing.
    Francis Joseph - Very fast and powerful up front.
    Tony Mahoney - Had a golden patch as Joseph's partner up front but got finished with a broken leg after about 3 months.
    Keith Cassells - Bought to replace Mahoney but didn't quite gel with Joseph.
    Keith Bowen - Son of Dave Bowen and a half decent forward. Did better when he went to Colchester.
    Terry Spencer - Left-back with a poofy Human League haircut.
  • Options
    Jon Macken for being so rubbish Stuart Pearce thought it was better to play a goalkeeper up front rather than bring Macken on
  • Options
    Used to find it amusing to shout 'Your rubbish Charlton" at Simon Charlton when he played against us in the 90's. From me early days Dickie Rooks captained Bristol City in my first game also Ken Beamish and Alan Worboys always seemed to score against us
  • Options
    Alan shoulder...scored a wonder goal for Newcastle at the valley back in the day...started with Blyth Spartans I think
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ritchie Humphries. Started off at Sheffield Wednesday as some wonderkid, and scored some great goals. Never really went to the next level
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I would choose Greg Downs. Just remember getting his sticker in Football '86 and thinking he looked too old to be a footballer. And for some reason I still, to this day, associate him with a wheelbarrow.

Geez I just coughed my guts up reading this....bloody flu, thanks for the laugh though
  • Options
    Afonso Alves for Boro. Came from Heerenveen I believe, and had been scoring bundles. Turned out to be dog shit!

Carlos Marinelli, again for Boro. Was the new Maradona...... apparently.

Ruel Fox (norwich, spurs and newcastle). I have no idea why I remember him, and a couple of other from Norwich at the time, Darren Eadie and Jeremy Goss.
  • Options

Afonso Alves for Boro. Came from Heerenveen I believe, and had been scoring bundles. Turned out to be dog shit!

Ruel Fox (norwich, spurs and newcastle). I have no idea why I remember him, and a couple of other from Norwich at the time, Darren Eadie and Jeremy Goss.

Afonso Alves once scored seven goals in a game at Hereveen, and I didn't need to look that up.

I did look this up though, 10 goals in 42 league games for Boro. I know he was considered an expensive flop (something like 7m which seems so quaint), but that's not that bad a scoring record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Boro one I remember is Massimo Maccarone, just because his name sounds like an order at Zizzi.
  • Options
    The glorious Perry Digweed, who can forget a name like that. He was GK for Brighton in the first match I ever saw (1-1 v Watford)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Afonso Alves once scored seven goals in a game at Hereveen, and I didn't need to look that up.

I did look this up though, 10 goals in 42 league games for Boro. I know he was considered an expensive flop (something like 7m which seems so quaint), but that's not that bad a scoring record.
    Three of those goals were in a last day of the season 8 1 romp v Man City. A result that was bizarre at the time and now seems impossible to fathom. Only ten years ago.
  • Options
    Dai Davies, former Everton & Wales keeper, has died:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/dai-davies-the-colourful-wales-goalkeeper-who-became-a-druid-40074994.html

The reason for being on this thread is that I've never seen him play, but remember the name well as my Grandpa (whose inlaws were all Wrexham fans) always found it absolutely hilarious that he was nicknamed "Dai the Drop".  I've got great memories of him laughing away at that or Ray Wilkins being called "Right-angle Ray".

RIP Dai the Drop.
  • Options
    Trevor Hockey. Playing the wrong game!
  • Options
    Babian Fartez.
  • Options
    Kenny Achampong , only because of his song - 

Kenny Achampong kumbaya
  • Options
    Trevor Peake. When we were playing Coventry at Selhurst the ball went out for a clear throw to them and the ref gave it our way. Will always remember him bellowing "Ya must be joking ref!!"
  • Options
    Trevor Peake. When we were playing Coventry at Selhurst the ball went out for a clear throw to them and the ref gave it our way. Will always remember him bellowing "Ya must be joking ref!!"
    I remember Peake when he was playing for Luton, getting riled by our chants of "old man, old man"!
  • Options
    Dai Davies, former Everton & Wales keeper, has died:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/dai-davies-the-colourful-wales-goalkeeper-who-became-a-druid-40074994.html

The reason for being on this thread is that I've never seen him play, but remember the name well as my Grandpa (whose inlaws were all Wrexham fans) always found it absolutely hilarious that he was nicknamed "Dai the Drop".  I've got great memories of him laughing away at that or Ray Wilkins being called "Right-angle Ray".

RIP Dai the Drop.
    Sad to hear this . He has featured recently on The Big Match Revisited whilst at Everton and looked excellent 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The glorious Perry Digweed, who can forget a name like that. He was GK for Brighton in the first match I ever saw (1-1 v Watford)
    He actually had a loan spell with us but never played in 1985 which is so obscure that it doesn't get mentioned in his Wikipedia profile.

Unfortunately for us Brighton called him back and we recruited Jim Stannard who had a disasterous match for us against Cardiff. 
  • Options
    Surely Digweed is more famous for his horrific testicular injury at the Goldstone Ground ?
  • Options
    Taribo West (Nigeria and very briefly Plymouth Argyle) - Green Hair
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Stig said:
    Also fantastic in International Superstar Soccer PRO back in the noughties
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stig said:
    And a great free transfer on Championship Manager 01/02.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stig said:
    And a great free transfer on Championship Manager 01/02.
    Pastor of his own ministry since 2014! Very unexpected given his hairstyles.
  • Options
    George Berry (Wolves and Stoke) for that afro!

He also seemed to score a lot of own goals
  • Options
    I feel I may have already mentioned our youth goalkeeper in the 90’s Ben Gotobed on this thread before. Such a shame he never made it (probs still sleeping)
  • Options
    Cliff Durandt South African played for us in early 60's. Was a strange shape for a footballer as i recall. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Probably not too obscure to a certain generation, but Terry Brisley, if only because I remember my dad shouting at him, ‘F*ck off back to Millwall, Brisley!’