Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• Options

Love the David Moyes photo!!!
    For us, Jim Ryan. I worked with him for a short while. He told me how Frank Hill went back on his word re a bet in training and how he could never trust him again.

Wasn't Jim Ryan in the Old Bill or am I thinking of someone else?
  • Options
    Etienne verveer of millwall "fame". Absolute tosh, but my millwall mate thought he was Maradona, pele, gullit and cryuff combined! He wasn't.
  • Options

Jack Brownsword of Scunthorpe United. An average right back who played at The Valley in consecutive weeks as we met them in both the a league and FA Cup. He is remembered because he scored a lot of goals one season, some of which were penalties.

the road leading to the Scunthorpe ground is named Jack Brownsword Way .. he holds the club's appearance record
  • Options
    Danny Invincible purely in the name alone.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I would choose Greg Downs. Just remember getting his sticker in Football '86 and thinking he looked too old to be a footballer. And for some reason I still, to this day, associate him with a wheelbarrow.

I just checked - he's 29 in that photo. Twenty fucking nine. I'm nearly 40 and I swear to god I could claim he's my grandad in a family photo and nobody would question it.
    The thing is he is now 61 and probably looks the same if not younger !!
  • Options
    Is Terry Brisley obscure? My reason for remembering him is hearing my dad shout, 'F*ck off back to Millwall, Brisley!' at one of the first games I went to.
  • Options
    Alan Kimble at Wimbledon. Fuck knows why.
  • Options
    Some more 80's randoms...

Simon Garner - goals galore for Blackburn.

Bernard McNally - good midfielder but wouldn't play on Sundays for Shrewsbury.

Billy Gilbert - tough centre-back for Crystal Palace and Portsmouth.

Tony Cunningham - rampaging lump of a forward for Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle and Barnsley.

Steve Fallon - decent defender for Cambridge.

Malcolm Poskett - regular goals for Carlisle (and in the 70s for Brighton)
  • Options

Alan Kimble at Wimbledon. Fuck knows why.

Both he and his brother played for us I believe mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    cabbles said:

Johnny Metgod
    Miranda
    Kevin Drinkell
    Kingsley Black
    Steve Foster
    Anders Limpar
    Jan Aaga Fjortoft
    Mitchell Thomas
    Colin Pates
    Chris Kiwomya
    Kevin Richardson

Most Charlton squads of the past decade

Miranda is a great shout. The guy at Newcastle in the early 90s right?
    Yeah that's him mate. Brazilian lad. Maybe even late 80s

Just googled and it's spelled Mirandhina. Christ he has got old!
  • Options
    Julian Joachim. Always used to scare the shit out of me with his pace running at Chaps and McLeary at the back.

Few others from the early to mid 90s who we played against I remember....

Wayne Allison at Bristol City - always scored versus us

Jan Aage Fjortoft always looked class

• Options
    Simonsen said:

Some randoms from the 80's 2nd Division days....

Malcolm Webster - always in goal for Cambridge.

Kevin Drinkell up front for Grimsby.

Jerry Murphy in midfield for Crystal Palace.

Peter Rhoades-Brown on the wing for Chelsea.

Ronnie Glavin belting rocket shots in for Barnsley.

Hans Kraay bouncing up and down in front of Nicky Johns at corners (for Brighton).

From the days when he was somewhat unique in football and considered posh for having a double barrel surname. The only other one I can readily recall around that time is Ian Storey-Moore.
  • Options
    Ricky Otto, not so much for how he played, but for how much ITV used to big up second tier players like him when they lost the Premier League and instead were showing the Football League!

They used to parody this on Fantasy Football League
  • Options
    Used to hate Steve Bull. Aside from the fact he always scored against us, that Black Country accent ... urgh
  • Options

Dave Howells - I'm sure I remember his dad being tragically killed in a scaffolding accident.

Ian Bishop - For rumours of him, allegedly, being caught in bed with another player, by one of theirs wives, resulting in one of em getting stabbed in the leg with a pair of scissors?

Trevor Morley - For rumours of him, allegedly, being caught in bed with another player, by one of theirs wives, resulting in one of em getting stabbed in the leg with a pair of scissors?

Cutting edge.
  • Options

Dave Howells - I'm sure I remember his dad being tragically killed in a scaffolding accident.

Ian Bishop - For rumours of him, allegedly, being caught in bed with another player, by one of theirs wives, resulting in one of em getting stabbed in the leg with a pair of scissors?

Trevor Morley - For rumours of him, allegedly, being caught in bed with another player, by one of theirs wives, resulting in one of em getting stabbed in the leg with a pair of scissors?

Cutting edge.
    What, the scissors?
  • Options
    Ipswich striker Ian Marshall. He kept my disastrous mid-90s school fantasy league team from being relegated. I inherited a shit team from a mate, yet he kept interfering and getting cross when I wouldn't play Robbie Earle.

Nigel Spink. Played first for Chelmsford City dontcha know
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Jon Parkin for being a fat bastard

Still turning out for York City, my father-in-law’s team, in National League North. We went to see them play Blyth Spartans earlier this season and my son thought he must be someone’s grandad who was allowed to warm up with the team. Later he came on as sub and scored the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Former West Ham United star Ian Bishop has revealed the full details of what really happened on the infamous night that team mate Trevor Morley was stabbed.

In March 1991, the news that Morley was critically ill in hospital having been wounded in a domestic incident shook West Ham. The striker's Norwegian wife Hege was held responsible, although the reasons for the dispute were unclear.

Shortly after the incident occurred two main rumours regarding the source of Mrs Morley's fury emerged. Firstly it was claimed that that Morley and team mate Bishop had been caught with two women in a compromising position by Hege - but secondly, and with far wider consequences for the two players' careers, that no women had been involved in the liaison.

The latter rumour - that the two friends and team mates were involved in a gay relationship - is a falsehood that pervades to this day. It is an allegation that Bishop, speaking exclusively in the latest episode of the KUMB.com Podcast, calls "evil" - and a record he was keen to finally set straight.

Taking up the story, Bishop, 48 - who now resides in the United States - said: "We were at a function for Tony Gale in Chigwell and we shouldn't have been because it was two nights before a game. But we did it for Galey.

"We thought 'we won't drink too much', because you're not allowed to before a game. As much as we were a bit of a drinking squad at the time we didn't abuse it, we didn't go out after a Wednesday.

"You couldn't, because it was your club, your team - you wouldn't disrespect the club and the supporters in that way. But this night was a function with our wives in Chigwell, where I lived; Trevor lived in Waltham Abbey.

"After the function, Trevor and his wife came back to our house; we'd had a couple of beers and they were arguing. After that, she waited in a cab outside whilst he was finishing a beer in the house. My next-door neighbour and his wife were there too. Eventually, Trevor and Hege went home together."

That was the last Bishop saw of his team mate that night - and news of what had happened upon the couple's return home was broken to him by manager Billy Bonds the next day after Bish's regular chauffeur at the time - Morley - failed to collect him for work.

"I was on a driving ban at the time and Trevor was picking me up every morning," he continued. "I was late for training because he didn't turn up. When Bill told me [what had happened], it was the first I knew of it.

"Bill said apparently his [Morley's] wife had come home and found us with two birds - which, considering what the other rumours were, I would have taken as that would have been a far better story for me! My wife would have killed me, but luckily enough, she was there at the time..."

It wasn't long before rumours of an alleged relationship between the two players began to emerge - and soon Bishop and Morley were fending off not only disgusting abuse from the terraces the length and breadth of the country, but also the unwelcome advances of the press who sniffed a big story.

"It was ugly and evil; you know what football fans are like," Bishop recalled. "We got dogs abuse and I don't think Trevor dealt with it too well. Obviously he nearly died as well.

"I had the press come to my house offering me tons of money to do a story. I could have made something up, taken the money and just laughed at them. But it was at every game we went to.

"Every time we turned up the sports press, who you thought were your friends, would come up to you and say 'look, the story's going out tomorrow, do you want to put your side across? Is there anything you'd like us to say on your behalf?' And I said 'yeah - write the story and I'll sue you'.

"I can talk about it now. The thing was, I was getting abused but I wouldn't speak because it wasn't my story. It was Trevor's, and what went on in their house was between him and his wife."

Although he admits that he used to occasionally react to the very worst abuse - "I showed my arse to the Manchester United fans once, but I got away with it because I did it really sneakily", he admits - the slurs are something that have stayed with him ever since.

And despite some 23 years having passed since Morley was hospitalised and the subsequent false rumours festered, homophobia remains a major issue within both football (and sport in general, see the recent Olympic protests).

• Options

Former West Ham United star Ian Bishop has revealed the full details of what really happened on the infamous night that team mate Trevor Morley was stabbed.

In March 1991, the news that Morley was critically ill in hospital having been wounded in a domestic incident shook West Ham. The striker's Norwegian wife Hege was held responsible, although the reasons for the dispute were unclear.

Shortly after the incident occurred two main rumours regarding the source of Mrs Morley's fury emerged. Firstly it was claimed that that Morley and team mate Bishop had been caught with two women in a compromising position by Hege - but secondly, and with far wider consequences for the two players' careers, that no women had been involved in the liaison.

The latter rumour - that the two friends and team mates were involved in a gay relationship - is a falsehood that pervades to this day. It is an allegation that Bishop, speaking exclusively in the latest episode of the KUMB.com Podcast, calls "evil" - and a record he was keen to finally set straight.

Taking up the story, Bishop, 48 - who now resides in the United States - said: "We were at a function for Tony Gale in Chigwell and we shouldn't have been because it was two nights before a game. But we did it for Galey.

"We thought 'we won't drink too much', because you're not allowed to before a game. As much as we were a bit of a drinking squad at the time we didn't abuse it, we didn't go out after a Wednesday.

"You couldn't, because it was your club, your team - you wouldn't disrespect the club and the supporters in that way. But this night was a function with our wives in Chigwell, where I lived; Trevor lived in Waltham Abbey.

"After the function, Trevor and his wife came back to our house; we'd had a couple of beers and they were arguing. After that, she waited in a cab outside whilst he was finishing a beer in the house. My next-door neighbour and his wife were there too. Eventually, Trevor and Hege went home together."

That was the last Bishop saw of his team mate that night - and news of what had happened upon the couple's return home was broken to him by manager Billy Bonds the next day after Bish's regular chauffeur at the time - Morley - failed to collect him for work.

"I was on a driving ban at the time and Trevor was picking me up every morning," he continued. "I was late for training because he didn't turn up. When Bill told me [what had happened], it was the first I knew of it.

"Bill said apparently his [Morley's] wife had come home and found us with two birds - which, considering what the other rumours were, I would have taken as that would have been a far better story for me! My wife would have killed me, but luckily enough, she was there at the time..."

It wasn't long before rumours of an alleged relationship between the two players began to emerge - and soon Bishop and Morley were fending off not only disgusting abuse from the terraces the length and breadth of the country, but also the unwelcome advances of the press who sniffed a big story.

"It was ugly and evil; you know what football fans are like," Bishop recalled. "We got dogs abuse and I don't think Trevor dealt with it too well. Obviously he nearly died as well.

"I had the press come to my house offering me tons of money to do a story. I could have made something up, taken the money and just laughed at them. But it was at every game we went to.

"Every time we turned up the sports press, who you thought were your friends, would come up to you and say 'look, the story's going out tomorrow, do you want to put your side across? Is there anything you'd like us to say on your behalf?' And I said 'yeah - write the story and I'll sue you'.

"I can talk about it now. The thing was, I was getting abused but I wouldn't speak because it wasn't my story. It was Trevor's, and what went on in their house was between him and his wife."

Although he admits that he used to occasionally react to the very worst abuse - "I showed my arse to the Manchester United fans once, but I got away with it because I did it really sneakily", he admits - the slurs are something that have stayed with him ever since.

And despite some 23 years having passed since Morley was hospitalised and the subsequent false rumours festered, homophobia remains a major issue within both football (and sport in general, see the recent Olympic protests).

So what are we saying then, that the rumours were false? Well blow me down with a feather
  • Options
    edited October 2018

For no other reason than he was as hard as nails.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Whitehurst
  • Options

Julian Joachim. Always used to scare the shit out of me with his pace running at Chaps and McLeary at the back.

Few others from the early to mid 90s who we played against I remember....

Wayne Allison at Bristol City - always scored versus us

Jan Aage Fjortoft always looked class

Joachim has probably had the most bizarre career for such a promising player... Still plays by the looks of it

Used to copy Jan's goal celebration whenever I scored in the back garden against myself, loved it!!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Mickey Thomas - I think from when Wrexham beat the Arsenal in the early 90's.

• Options

For no other reason than he was as hard as nails.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Whitehurst

That's Finchy from The Office.
    Bloody good rep
  • Options
    Wilberforce Ocran
    Tamer Tuna

Great names!