Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• Options
    Some randoms from the 80's 2nd Division days....

Malcolm Webster - always in goal for Cambridge.

Kevin Drinkell up front for Grimsby.

Jerry Murphy in midfield for Crystal Palace.

Peter Rhoades-Brown on the wing for Chelsea.

Ronnie Glavin belting rocket shots in for Barnsley.

Hans Kraay bouncing up and down in front of Nicky Johns at corners (for Brighton).
  • Options
    This guy isn't necessarily obscure as he was pretty notorious back in the 90's

Paul Tait. A nasty bastard of a midfielder who found fame with Birmingham City and achieved notoriety by wearing a T-shirt saying 'Birmingham City shit on the Villa' after a play off final

• Options

John McGinlay............ what a ding-dong-doo

Always remember it from the end of season videos, but found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H-Pxm5GaX4
    I'd forgotten just how baggy football shirts were in the 1990s!
  • Options

Another one is Phil Babb, mainly remember him for him smashing his bollocks on the post.

I remember Peter Fear being a running joke in Match magazine for a while.

@North Lower Neil
    Funny, I remember Babb too for being around at the same time as Mal Donaghy.
    I always wanted them in the same midfield somewhere to form the meaty partnership
    Donaghy Babb
    LOL.
  • Options
    Drew Jarvie- an Aberdeen player who seemed to be in every panini sticker packet I bought. (See also Sandy Jardine but not as obscure).
    The Vin Nguyen- a cafc youth/reserve player who disappeared after something came to light about his right to be or his legal status in this country.
  • Options

Drew Jarvie- an Aberdeen player who seemed to be in every panini sticker packet I bought. (See also Sandy Jardine but not as obscure).
    The Vin Nguyen- a cafc youth/reserve player who disappeared after something came to light about his right to be or his legal status in this country.

Blimey I’d forgotten about Thevin Nguyen, wonder what he it up to in the end?
  • Options
    I always remember Leroy Ambrose for some reason...
  • Options

Johnny Metgod
    Miranda
    Kevin Drinkell
    Kingsley Black
    Steve Foster
    Anders Limpar
    Jan Aaga Fjortoft
    Mitchell Thomas
    Colin Pates
    Chris Kiwomya
    Kevin Richardson

Most Charlton squads of the past decade

Miranda is a great shout. The guy at Newcastle in the early 90s right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another Panini memory. Campbell Money, the former St Mirren goalkeeper. As if that isn't already a great name, just googled him and found out that his full name is Israel Campbell Money.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Jimmy Leadbetter of Ipswich .. an integral member of the First Division winning 1961/62 team .. my father was an Ipswich supporter and as a young kid he took me to all the London games during that amazing season .. Jimmy supplied the 'bullets' for the prolific Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips to fire into the net ..
    During that time he was in his early thirties, looked 60 and was so frail looking that it would not have been a surprise if a slight gust of wind blew him over .. the reality ? .. he was a very tough Scotsman and a very underrated member of a magnificent team .. RIP Jimmy

src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5000498/uploads/FileUpload/44/679b711f5fb61e0ea513f34f196dc9.jpg" />
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Frankie Bunn. Scored six in one game for Oldham. It sticks in my mind. Without doing a Google search I know nothing else about him.

Started out at Luton. Remember him heading a ball away once and an opposition player heading Bunn's face at full pelt where the ball had just been. Sounded like a rifle shot as his cheekbone shattered. The whole ground gave a collective groan as he hit the deck like the proverbial sack of spuds... Sickening.

My contribution is former Peterborough player Lee Williams. He was playing at The Valley in the 90's when the Covered End suddenly decided they liked him for no reason whatsoever, cheering his every touch. And as he came up to take a corner a chant of "One Lee Williams" started in our end. The bewildered look on his face was a picture.
  • Options
    Arthur Mann.

Crazy name, crazy guy.
  • Options
    Youssef Chippo and Mustapha Hadji for Coventry. France 98 through up some random players, and Morocco destroying Scotland was particularly enjoyable.
  • Options
    Ian Bogie
  • Options
    My Panini nemesis was Vasily Rats. Can't remember the year but he was everywhere

Players I liked as a kid based on nothing but their name were

John Chiedozie
    Eric Gates
    Eric Young
    Frankie Bunn
    Ian Ormondroyd
    Ian Olney
    Rick Holden

My favourite as a kid was when I played Football Manager on my girlfriend's dad's PC. I was Charlton (back when we were half decent) and as a top flight team I signed a 15 year old kid from Barcelona called Leo Messi. This was before he was a big thing and I thought I'd unearthed a wonderkid. Others I unearthed were Helder Barbosa and some guy called Chupa Lopez. Not heard of either of them.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Nortey Nortei... Chelsea youth product... A great philosopher once said...

Was playing for Solihull Moors I think......not sure if "he's a good" player still :)
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

Nortey Nortei... Chelsea youth product... A great philosopher once said...

Was playing for Solihull Moors I think......not sure if "he's a good" player still :)
    Plays for Dover now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jack Brownsword of Scunthorpe United. An average right back who played at The Valley in consecutive weeks as we met them in both the a league and FA Cup. He is remembered because he scored a lot of goals one season, some of which were penalties.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Johnny Metgod
    Miranda
    Kevin Drinkell
    Kingsley Black
    Steve Foster
    Anders Limpar
    Jan Aaga Fjortoft
    Mitchell Thomas
    Colin Pates
    Chris Kiwomya
    Kevin Richardson

Most Charlton squads of the past decade

Miranda is a great shout. The guy at Newcastle in the early 90s right?
    Mirandinha. Saw him crack one home against us at St James' Park when they beat us 2-1.
  • Options
    I recall going up to St James Park not long after they signed him and being amazed that Steve Gritt tackled a Brazilian in a top flight game...
  • Options
    Maurice Setters, ok not to obscure to those who remember the 60's. Had played for Man United but broke his leg badly i believe.
    Played a few games for our first team defence/ mid. So funny/appalling to see him trying to run with a kind of hop and skip.

Just googled him, he is Man U's oldest captain still alive.
  • Options
    Stephen Hughes

Because I always thought he'd do a good job after Kinsella left for villa
    Curbs thought different though
  • Options
    Gus Hurdle. Fantasy football league once did a "big hello" to him. Possibly because his name is somehow amusing.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Maurice Setters, ok not to obscure to those who remember the 60's. Had played for Man United but broke his leg badly i believe.
    Played a few games for our first team defence/ mid. So funny/appalling to see him trying to run with a kind of hop and skip.

Just googled him, he is Man U's oldest captain still alive.

Is he 90 for the 'Celebrities Still Alive thread?'

He certainly played like it.

EDIT: In fairness I should add when at Charlton. He was decent at Man U.
  • Options
    Love the David Moyes photo!!!
    For us, Jim Ryan. I worked with him for a short while. He told me how Frank Hill went back on his word re a bet in training and how he could never trust him again.