Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• Options
    Yaya Banana
  • Options
    Ruben Ayala.
    Longest hair I ever remember seeing on a footballer.
    I know it was the 70's but blimey
  • Options
    Mick Vinter of Notts County and Alan Groves of Oldham were always difficult opponents.
  • Options
    Johnny Harrison
    Skillfull CAFC youth product of slight build and small stature (he looked about 4' 11")
    In one of his first games, against Brighton, he was upended in no uncertain terms by self-loving lardarse Steve Foster.
    Foster then proceeded to haul him up, smile patronisingly and pat him on the head several times like you would a cheeky toddler.
    I don't think JH ever recovered from the humiliation
  • Options
    Peter Knowles.
    Wolves wonderkid who I witnessed put on a sublime display of skill and invention at the Valley one saturday back in 1966.
    The Wolves fans idolised him.
    Within a year or 2 he had become a Jehovah's Witness and gave up football completely.

His brother Cyril had a distinguished career as a full-back for Spurs and as far as I know never turned to religion.
    Nice one Cyril :wink:
  • Options
    Ron Futcher , hatrick to put Barnsley 0-3 up at The Valley then sent off as we went on to win 5-3
  • Options

Brett Angel...Stockport i think...totally hated him for absolutely no reason.

A friend of mine is a Stockport supporter, and he hated Brett Angel too.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Gordon Bolland, a forward with us and Millwall in the late 1960s and early 70s. Have a look at his remarkable barnet: https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/football-25th-july-1973-gordon-bolland-of-millwall-news-photo/79664318

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Frank Bunn - Oldham.

Scored 6 goals in a league cup match against Scarborough early 90’s

25May98 said:

Frankie Bunn. Scored six in one game for Oldham. It sticks in my mind. Without doing a Google search I know nothing else about him.

Great minds @25May98
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ian Woan of Forest. Used to hate him and his floppy blond hair and he'd always score screamers.
  • Options

Remember Jose Dominguez, the ex-Spurs player really well as a mate at school had a weird obsession with him, he honestly thought he was one of the best players in the league but didn't get many chances.

I remember him. People who do not understand football often favour ball-playing midgets because they look pretty. I'll take Carl Leaburn every time. I draw the line at Makienok, though.
  • Options

Talking of Arsenal, anyone remember Don Roper I think it was, scoring direct from a corner. Don't hear of that very often.

Saw Stuart Leary do it on my very first visit to the Valley. We beat Grimsby 2-0.
  • Options
    Johnny Ostergaard, the former ice hockey player, who joined us along with fellow Dane Viggo Jacobsen.
  • Options
    Paul Cooper...Ipswich keeper from the 80s.
    Reminds me of the guy from Robins Nest
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Not especially obscure, but George Berry for THAT Afro.

• Options
    Watched Millwall trounce Ipswich by something like 8-1 back in the 50's. For some reason I remember the names of the goalkeepers and no other players. In goal for Ipswich was a guy called Burns who seemed incredibly old to me and certainly too old to jump. In goal for Millwall was Hinton but I cann't remember their first names.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Some people need to look up the word obscure!!

Cory Gibbs
  • Options
    Steve Stone. Used to want to smash his bald head in with a shovel!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John McGinlay............ what a ding-dong-doo
  • Options
    Alan groves Oldham the crowd gave him a bad time

Trevor hockey Birmingham..dirty so and so

Alan shoulder Newcastle scored against us at the valley from an incredible angle

Will Sullivan I think he only played a couple of games walked past him once and couldn't believe how small and slight he was

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Wilf Rostron of Watford. Memorable for possibly being the first person in around half a century to be called "Wilf".

Has there been one since?

Oh yeah that diving cheating scumbag at Palace.
  • Options
    Robert Lee who was a turnstile operator at Charlton before he played for Newcastle
  • Options

John McGinlay............ what a ding-dong-doo

Always remember it from the end of season videos, but found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H-Pxm5GaX4
  • Options

Paul Cooper...Ipswich keeper from the 80s.
    Reminds me of the guy from Robins Nest

Might explain why he would stand to one side when facing a penalty, what with one arm and that.
    He had a great record for penalty saves n’all didn’t he?
  • Options
    Alan Biley for a couple of reasons

1. For his ridiculous blond mop of a hairstyle.

2. Quiz games v a bunch of lads from Barnet FC. Go into the pub with our lot and one of ours would say is Alan Biley playing for then tonight. Everytime without fail.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    Johnny Metgod
    Miranda
    Kevin Drinkell
    Kingsley Black
    Steve Foster
    Anders Limpar
    Jan Aaga Fjortoft
    Mitchell Thomas
    Colin Pates