Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

International Cricket excluding England 2018/19

Comments

• 28-3 and wicket taken by a debutante

Wow Australia 62 all out!

Not really, that would be us on current form. Actual score at close of play is 384-4 off 87 overs from 28-3. Burns (172*) and Head (161), the new joint Aussie Vice-Captain along with Pat Cummins, put on over 300 for the 4th wicket.

Now that's a recovery!
  • As I just said on the other thread,

"Australia, tbf, playing a side that just got whitewashed at home by England..."

SL were playing an extremely inexperienced bowling attack of essentially decent club cricketers. The surprise was the three early wickets
  • Riviera said:

The BBC broadcasting ABC's radio cricket commentary on 5LiveXtra has been brilliant this winter. I have BT Sport but living a pretty nocturnal lifestyle due to my profession I am in the kitchen for the 1st session of most of the Tests cooking my dinner. I enjoyed the India series and now Sri Lanka. I pause the TV for about a minute and then it gives me time to see any incidents after hearing it on the radio as DAB is well behind. I've enjoyed listening to the familiar tones of Jim Maxwell plus the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Alan Border and today good old Tuffers! However the best thing is that you get the ABC News bulletins and it is so nice to listen to the news with absolutely no mention of bloody BREXIT! :smile:

I imagine the weather forecast is slightly different too. Heat waves, forest fires, droughts...
  • Australia might just have unearthed a middle order batsman by the name of Kurtis Patterson (note for Sky Sports - that's "Kurtis" and not "Kevin"!).

Having scored two hundreds in the warm up game for CA against SL, he made 114* in his second Test match. Yes it is a poor SL attack but he averages over 40 in Sheffield Shield and looks to have enough about his game to make it.

With Joe Burns and Travis Head establishing themselves and the imminent return of Smith and Warner, the Aussies look to have some real competition for batting spots for the Ashes. Just wish we could say the same!
  • Australia bowled out Sri Lanka for 215 (Perera retired hurt and could not return), they didn't enforce the follow-on although being about 320 ahead. Starc picked up a Michelle and he and Cummins were pretty aggressive at 90mph+
    Australia had three centurians in their first innings and with the return of Smith (I don't think Warner will play again in Test cricket) we are not going to have it all our own way this summer.
    Can you imagine 3 of our batsmen getting 100's in the same innings, Test or series even?
  • We are odds on to win The Ashes and the Aussies are 2 to 1 to win it and drawn series 6 to 1 with betfair ...
    I’m the worse failed gambler in the world but we have to be a lay
  • After a disappointing 2018 losing to S Africa and all the fallout from that, losing to Pakistan and at home to India (who we beat 4-1) Australia as ever seem to have sorted themselves out pretty quickly. Of course this series is against a moderate Sri Lanka who are going through a massive transitional period, but they've made changes and Burns has hit a Daddy, Patterson gets a ton in his 2nd Test and Khwaja and Head both come good after average series' against India. Then there is the new young quick Richardson and he looks fast and aggressive at 90mph+. To cap it all reports of Mitchell Starc's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He has been superb in this Test.
    We may well win the World Cup but if the Ashes were to played next week I couldn't see us winning one Test.
  • Australia win series 2-0 and Starc takes 10 wickets in the match.
  • edited February 2019
    So for us nightbirds we have a ODI series between NZ and Bangladesh starting in just over 1/2 hour and then at 9am this morning we have the first of 2 Tests between S Africa and Sri Lanka. Will be interesting to see if SA whitewash Sri Lanka like Aussie and we did, pretty sure they will. Both on Sky 404.
  • Sponsored links:

• SA 178-7
    My car is back in the garage. 
  • Riviera said:
    SA 178-7
    My car is back in the garage. 
    Message received
  • Sri Lanka are 9 down and need 13 to beat South Africa in the Test
  • A maximum takes Pereira to 148* and 7 to win
  • Single off the last ball of Steyn's over keeps Pereira on strike and one big hit away from victory.
  • Kusal Perera hits a 4 to win it. What an innings and amazing victory!
  • They needed 78 runs when the 9th wicket went down. 
  • What a shame there has been hardly anyone there to watch this Test. Also really disappointing crowd at yesterday’s BBL semi in Melbourne. Hearing a lot of people saying the competition has simply gone on far too long. Golden Gooses and all that. 
  • Test cricket...

Amazing.
  • Sponsored links:

• That has to be one of the best knocks ever , just brilliant and a real shame there wasn’t more South Africans there to witness it !
    Sri Lanka needed 304 to win and were 110-5 and 229-9 
  • Why would you not have a slip in, when they only need four to win?
  • edited February 2019
    Scotland played Oman today in a 50 over ODI.

Oman managed 24 all out off 17.1 overs with Khawar Ali top scoring with 15 - extras was 2nd top score with 3 and the other 10 batsmen made 6 runs between them!!!

In reply, Scotland took 3.2 overs in reaching 26 without loss. Cross with 10* and their captain, Coetzer with 16*, successfully steering them home with just a matter of 46.4 overs remaining

There are two more of this series left and they are being played tomorrow and Thursday. For the sake of his team mates, let's hope that Coetzer elects to bat should he win the toss rather than today's decision to field,

• Oman have got to be hoping to bat first every time.
  • This sort of result, Scotland's defeat of England and West Indies extremely lucky qualification for the World Cup goes to prove that the gap between the some of the Full ICC Members (especially as Ireland are Full Members) and the likes of Scotland is much narrower than that between them and other Associate ICC Members such as Oman. Perhaps, there should be three tiers - Full, Associate and Emerging Members?
  • edited February 2019
    Oman have got to be hoping to bat first every time.
    If Scotland bat first, there could be carnage! A cricket score indeed :smile:
  • This sort of result, Scotland's defeat of England and West Indies extremely lucky qualification for the World Cup goes to prove that the gap between the some of the Full ICC Members (especially as Ireland are Full Members) and the likes of Scotland is much narrower than that between them and other Associate ICC Members such as Oman. Perhaps, there should be three tiers - Full, Associate and Emerging Members?

• Scotland played Oman today in a 50 over ODI.

Oman managed 24 all out off 17.1 overs with Khawar Ali top scoring with 15 - extras was 2nd top score with 3 and the other 10 batsmen made 6 runs between them!!!

In reply, Scotland took 3.2 overs in reaching 26 without loss. Cross with 10* and their captain, Coetzer with 16*, successfully steering them home with just a matter of 46.4 overs remaining

There are two more of this series left and they are being played tomorrow and Thursday. For the sake of his team mates, let's hope that Coetzer elects to bat should he win the toss rather than today's decision to field,

Well 2nd ODI today and Scotland won the toss - and again elected to field.

Oman mustered a very respectable 248-8 off their 50. And in reply Scotland are staring defeat in the face at 121-7 off 35 overs.

As Greavesey might have said (but didn't) "Cricket's a funny old game!"
  • Scotland 155 all out. Oman win by 93 runs! 

Perhaps I need to take back all that I said about 3 tiers of cricketing countries!
  • Extraordinary, what the hell happened in the first match for Oman to bat like that in the second, it's not just the lack of runs, but also the dismal scoring rate (24 of 17 overs at 1 and a bit to 248 at nearly 5 an over!)