Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Helicopter Crash at the King Power Stadium Leicester

Comments

• Options

Lovely words from Riyad Mahrez in his MNF post match interview.

Agreed... Have to admit I wasnt sure if he was putting his hands in the air in tribute or to thank god for the goal as you see other players doing - Nice words from him as am sure there are a few Leicester fans who wouldnt have been happy about the way he departed
  • Options
    Profile of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and his family business from the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46006896

• Options
    There’s a video taken on the pitch that’s better than the grainy cctv. Does appear to show there was no way of controlling it at all.

Dread to think what was going through their minds in those seconds
  • Options
    I'm assuming the practice of flying helicopters with takeoff from a stadium might be reviewed?
  • Options
    rear rotor looks like it's failed, once that happens the helicopter will go into an uncontrolled spin like that.

Already pretty major rules on Helicopters and where they can fly, for example in London, there not really allowed to stray away form the Thames while they fly.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

rear rotor looks like it's failed, once that happens the helicopter will go into an uncontrolled spin like that.

Already pretty major rules on Helicopters and where they can fly, for example in London, there not really allowed to stray away form the Thames while they fly.

Do the rules need to be reviewed in light of this crash?
  • Options
    Who knows, AAIB will do it's work, and make recommendations to the CAA on it. But I would expect so, but then most helicopter flights are in and out of London to small out of town heliports, so this tragic accident is extremely rare and a freak set of circumstances.
  • Options

Rothko said:

You've got to consider the volume of helicopter flights compared to the volume of accidents. Like I said previously helicopters when they go wrong are inclined to drop like stones as in this case sadly.

Same for motorway accidents, there are dozens if not hundreds of these weekly so measures are in place to manage risk and reduce the amount of accidents. Factor in things like brake failure, road conditions, driver ignorance and concentration and do the same for helicopter travel and the number of accidents per 100 flights is really low

• Options
    there were 3,200 helicopter flights in London in 6 months, of which a third were the Police or HEMS, so you're dealing with a pretty small scale activity, which is pretty heavily regulated already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rothko said:

The Air Accidents Investigation Board usually make recommendations on the basis of their findings. Helicopter flying is already well regulated so I would be surprised if this incident results in many changes. I would assume that the stadium had been approved by the CAA as helicopter landing site within operating guidelines as there are rules about flying in close proximity to that type of venue. It's a very unfortunate incident. At night, at low altitude and with very little speed the pilot's options to recover the aircraft would have been extremely limited. A tail rotor failure at 2,000 ft and 100 knots in broad daylight has a chance of a successful autorotation landing.
  • Options
    remember the police chopper that came down on the Glasgow pub .. 10 died .. rarely it seems do the helicopter crew or passengers escape .. the aircraft just drops like a sack of lead
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Just seen the video that's circulating on whatsapp. There's no way the pilot had any control over where that was landing/falling
  • Options

Just seen the video that's circulating on whatsapp. There's no way the pilot had any control over where that was landing/falling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS--OX-LPNU
  • Options
    clive said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS--OX-LPNU
    that is just heart stoppingly horrific .. phew
  • Options
    Poor sods had no chance.
  • Options
    Urgh crap that aint good watching... Must have been terrifying for all on board when that went into a spin
  • Options

Urgh crap that aint good watching... Must have been terrifying for all on board when that went into a spin

I suppose at least it was quick. Very sad.
  • Options
    No chance the pilot chose to put it down where it crashed, pure luck for those still in the area.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    If the helicopter malfunctioned, where it took off from is surely not an issue. I think the helicopter is quite a new design, so maybe there is a design issue. From the video, investigators will be pretty clear what went wrong I'm sure, it is now a question of why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only question I have is how the Helicopter took off... Am more knowledgable about airplanes yet in the video it doesnt look right even when it first leaves the ground
  • Options

Only question I have is how the Helicopter took off... Am more knowledgable about airplanes yet in the video it doesnt look right even when it first leaves the ground

"Leicester City helicopter crash: 'Operating normally' on take-off"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46044277
  • Options

If the helicopter malfunctioned, where it took off from is surely not an issue.

If you take off from a field and crash then it's a bit different from taking off near a stadium or in a built up area - potentially a lot more damage/casualties.
  • Options

"Leicester City helicopter crash: 'Operating normally' on take-off"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46044277
    Cheers... This is what I wondered before reading the article anyway

At lift-off you can't see anything that's abnormal, but it's an awkward job climbing out of a stadium because ideally you want some forward speed as well as continuing to climb.
  • Options

If you take off from a field and crash then it's a bit different from taking off near a stadium or in a built up area - potentially a lot more damage/casualties.
    Yes, but you might stop helicopters or planes flying over cities which isn't practical.
  • Options

Yes, but you might stop helicopters or planes flying over cities which isn't practical.
    I'm talking about the issue of takeoff/landing - I'm assuming this will be reviewed post this incident. If the risk is negligible then obviously change won't be a high priority.

Any helicopter pilots on here?
  • Options

It looks fine taking off. The pause about 6ft off the deck is to give the pilot time to check everything is OK with the engines etc. before committing to the flight. It's not an ideal situation to take off in. A football stadium is enclosed so the helicopter has to go straight up mainly on power rather than using more efficient translational lift generated by the rotor disc through forward speed. A helicopter needs airspeed to keep the rotors spinning and generating lift to make an autorotation landing. Unfortunately, the failure appears to have occurred at the worst possible moment, with no speed, and no height to trade for speed either.
  • Options
    Here is an address to leave condolences for anyone who would like to do so ..

https://www.lcfc.com/condolence#utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=vs-book-of-condolence
  • Options

That seems like a massive over reaction to me I have to say.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

That seems like a massive over reaction to me I have to say.
    The issue is obviously about landing and taking off.