Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's gone wrong in the last month?

13»

Comments

• The squad seems decent enough if a little thin at left back and they are underperforming, no doubt , other teams have injuries and shit refs , we can’t be the only unlucky team .
    Therefore if the players aren’t performing that’s at the management teams door and I’m sure they know that they are partly responsible for this .
    It’s up to them to get them to perform to their max .
    Plenty of time left for a change around so no need to panic just yet .
    The main thing is that prick leaves the building and then the feel good factor that will swarm over our club would mean Karen Fraeye would lead us to success !!
  • I think people have touched on all of the points - and it is a combination of factors.

Injuries haven't helped, but all teams get injuries.

We don't score enough goals. This is caused by a combination of players who just don't score goals and players that should but haven't got going like Aribo and Fosu. There is a certain type of goal we don't score. Ricky Holmes was a player who provided that sort of goal.

We concede soft goals - defensively we look ok, but we always seem to have a lapse or two in us.

We have been found out. The way to play us is not to try to outplay us, but press us in midfield and ensure there are always bodies behind the ball and in the area when we are attacking.

We had a similar issue with Robinson, but he was too stubborn to change things. There is a question mark as to whether Bowyer has the squad to change anything. But our defeats are close as are our victories, so we could go on a run. But as long as games are close, we will lose too many. It feels like scrapping into the play offs is the best we can hope for unless something changes.
  • I think people have touched on all of the points - and it is a combination of factors.

Injuries haven't helped, but all teams get injuries.

We don't score enough goals. This is caused by a combination of players who just don't score goals and players that should but haven't got going like Aribo and Fosu. There is a certain type of goal we don't score. Ricky Holmes was a player who provided that sort of goal.

We concede soft goals - defensively we look ok, but we always seem to have a lapse or two in us.

We have been found out. The way to play us is not to try to outplay us, but press us in midfield and ensure there are always bodies behind the ball and in the area when we are attacking.

We had a similar issue with Robinson, but he was too stubborn to change things. There is a question mark as to whether Bowyer has the squad to change anything. But our defeats are close as are our victories, so we could go on a run. But as long as games are close, we will lose too many. It feels like scrapping into the play offs is the best we can hope for unless something changes.

If LB remains at the helm and doesn't change things then playoffs for me seem unlikely. Maybe our players lack the technical ability he requires to play the way he wants.

• If I was the manager, I'd try to get players who don't contribute goals out of the team where possible, and bring in ones who might. That is the problem - I don't think there is a long list. I think we have to find room for Sarr but that is on the low end of players who might help us get more goals. Bauer is a big miss as he gets important goals. Cullen maybe should make way for Beilik. Feels like that is just marginal though.

I'd hope Aribo and Fosu find their form. We know Fosu can get goals - Aribo too - he has done so in one match but he can score.
  • Our front 2 got a lot of publicity,so all the opposing teams had to do was find a way of dealing with them.and with old heads in this league like Kieth Hill,and yes Robbo,they find a way,and we cant cope .We now have to change our tactics or the bad run will continue.we have to get more midfielders around the opponents area,and start picking up loose 5050 balls which we dont seem to do.Do not despair,we have good players who will turn this around.
  • Tactically have we been found out? The Robinson 4231 became easy to play against as everyone knew how we played, but the same can be said about out diamond formation.

I do think there is an element if teams working out how to play against us. I thibk it needs mixing up again to ruin any plans they have pre game. At least make the oppo think on their feet and change setup during the game.

Either a return to a back 3 with solly/Marshall as wing backs or a flat 442 with 2 sitting cm's (Cullen and Pratley/Belick) and 2 wingers with fredom to get forward (ward and fosu). Even a 4231 would work.
  • This is a tactical move to deliberately lose some matches in order for RD to drop the asking price or he will have to shell out for more players. Hold tight y’all...there’s another game being played. Smart move is Lord Bowyer.
  • Solidgone said:

This is a tactical move to deliberately lose some matches in order for RD to drop the asking price or he will have to shell out for more players. Hold tight y’all...there’s another game being played. Smart move is Lord Bowyer.

Yes, I heard that too. Lose a few games, RD sells the club cheaper than he wanted to, then we go on a winning run up to the end of the season and win the league...... or was I dreaming?
  • edited October 2018

When you look at the bench yes it's a fair argument to say we have strength in depth.

Unfortunately we've been unlucky in the one area of the pitch where we are lacking strength in depth is where we are currently hurting and being exposed is at left back.

All teams in the league probably have one position they could do without injury to and most are likely getting away with it just in the meantime all the while Page is out our weakness is exposed.

Even the great CP 11/12 team had it's vulnerabilities in particular at CB we only had Morrison, Taylor and Cort but I don't recall this lack of depth being exposed in the same way we've already lost Bauer, Pearce and Bielek to injury. How would the 11/12 team have coped in the same situation?

but we do have a left back at the club. Mascoll. play him. if he isn't any good then why is he still at the club ?? Not many other League 1 clubs have a better squad & back up (U23's) than us. Sunderland & maybe Pompey. Rochdale certainly don't.
    I thought Mascoll was also injured?

Wasn't that why Stephenson got the opportunity to score his hat-trick?
  • When you look at the bench yes it's a fair argument to say we have strength in depth.

Unfortunately we've been unlucky in the one area of the pitch where we are lacking strength in depth is where we are currently hurting and being exposed is at left back.

All teams in the league probably have one position they could do without injury to and most are likely getting away with it just in the meantime all the while Page is out our weakness is exposed.

Even the great CP 11/12 team had it's vulnerabilities in particular at CB we only had Morrison, Taylor and Cort but I don't recall this lack of depth being exposed in the same way we've already lost Bauer, Pearce and Bielek to injury. How would the 11/12 team have coped in the same situation?

but we do have a left back at the club. Mascoll. play him. if he isn't any good then why is he still at the club ?? Not many other League 1 clubs have a better squad & back up (U23's) than us. Sunderland & maybe Pompey. Rochdale certainly don't.
    I'm not disagreeing golfie but there must be a reason Mascoll isn't playing and even if he was he'd still likely be the weak link in the team.

The underlying issue is not having two senior left backs available like we did last season with Page & Da Silva. Solly probably shouldn't be playing as many games as he is at left back which has certainly contributed to our downturn of form when Solly then has to be replaced at right back. Again Djiksteel probably playing more games there than he should. Another senior left back could have at least kept Solly at right back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoring goals on the break - we are well above average there.
    Scoring goals through passing moves - average
    Scoring goals from set pieces - below average
    Scoring goals from shots outside the area - we are well below average
    Scoring from penalties - well below average
    Scoring goals from attack - slightly above average
    Scoring goals from midfield - well below average
    Scoring goals from defence - below average

There you have it - this is the problem. I have highlighted 5 types of goal and three types of goal scorers. Too many areas are below or well below average. We need to alter a few of these. As we are only losing by narrow margins, a small improvement may make a big difference.
  • 2 seasons ago we (for the 1st half anyway) had 2 players who could score brilliant individual goals out of nothing, Holmes and Lookman. Beat a couple players then curl one in from the edge of the box type strikes. We don't really have that now.

Indeed is Ward really a better loan option than Holmes?
  • 2 seasons ago we (for the 1st half anyway) had 2 players who could score brilliant individual goals out of nothing, Holmes and Lookman. Beat a couple players then curl one in from the edge of the box type strikes. We don't really have that now.

Indeed is Ward really a better loan option than Holmes?

Holmes was a big loss - we haven't really replaced him.