Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rochdale v Charlton post-match thread | Sat 27 Oct 2018|

123457»

Comments

• Mascoll is not some kid but a 21yo. I wonder how much Bow sees of him.
  • Missed it, but this result is not good enough.
  • Scoham said:

Watched on iFollow. It was like a defeat under Robinson. Too much passing out from the back, problem is we don’t have a striker that can win headers. We need to find a way to go longer at times to mix it up.

One of the things I’ve liked about Bowyer is his teams have been more balanced. Not overly direct or tippy tappy, or too attacking or defensive, stuck to one formation or style of play etc.

I like the diamond but it needs the right players. Solly and Dijksteel’s strengths aren’t attacking. Ward and Fosu are more wide players than central players.

The other issue is the lack of goals from our midfield. They need to get in more goalscoring positions which will lead them taking more shots. It’s great to have two goal scoring strikers but we need more goals from elsewhere in the team.

Yes we do... Lyle Taylor

Just there will be games when Defenders will get the better of him, the same as in other games he'll get the better of them

Problem is we dont have an alternative to him if defences do have his number
    Sorry FA, but Taylor only jumps to head the ball about once a game.
    The rest of the time he stays on the ground and grapples with the defender who is above him trying to head the ball.
    I came to the conclusion yesterday, that is why Taylor has so many fouls given against him.
    It's because the refs can see Taylor isn't making an attempt to head the ball, whereas the defenders are.
    I like Taylor but have to agree with @Covered End based on the evidence of the Oxford and Rochdale games. I don’t get it really as I’m sure he was competing properly for headers, and winning most, earlier in the season. Yesterday I thought he was lucky to con the ref a couple of times and get a free kick in our favour, but most of the time we just lost the ball to the defence. Frustrating.
  • Dazzler21 said:

We lost less badly than I expected.

Your'e right there....they looked far more dangerous on the attack than we did.
  • dallas said:

i think its time for bow to shake things up time to give igor a go plus there must be a left back in the club we are to lob sided

Shame to say, I think we have long since seen Igor’s better days......a reasonable squad player but not one that’s gonna pull up roses on an ongoing basis.
    I'd rather he was pulling up trees!!
  • Redhenry said:

The reason for this bad run is the lack of cover in the squad.

Ma
    Redhenry said:

I can't believe some are having a pop at Bowyer! He has made a couple of mistakes recently, playing Page when not fit and not playing Beiliek CB but has done a lot more good things.

We're Charlton Henry we've got to blame someone
  • Scoham said:

Watched on iFollow. It was like a defeat under Robinson. Too much passing out from the back, problem is we don’t have a striker that can win headers. We need to find a way to go longer at times to mix it up.

One of the things I’ve liked about Bowyer is his teams have been more balanced. Not overly direct or tippy tappy, or too attacking or defensive, stuck to one formation or style of play etc.

I like the diamond but it needs the right players. Solly and Dijksteel’s strengths aren’t attacking. Ward and Fosu are more wide players than central players.

The other issue is the lack of goals from our midfield. They need to get in more goalscoring positions which will lead them taking more shots. It’s great to have two goal scoring strikers but we need more goals from elsewhere in the team.

Yes we do... Lyle Taylor

Just there will be games when Defenders will get the better of him, the same as in other games he'll get the better of them

The rest of the time he stays on the ground and grapples with the defender who is above him trying to head the ball.
    I came to the conclusion yesterday, that is why Taylor has so many fouls given against him.
    It's because the refs can see Taylor isn't making an attempt to head the ball, whereas the defenders are.
    Exactly this. He looks for the fouls. If I were LB I would take him aside and show him videos of all the games where he has fallen over under feeble challenges and sat on his arse waving his arms and moaning to the referee.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think any remaining optimism for the season has been extinguished.

Wow OVERREACTION ALERT!
  • addick05 said:

Scoham said:

Yes we do... Lyle Taylor

Exactly this. He looks for the fouls. If I were LB I would take him aside and show him videos of all the games where he has fallen over under feeble challenges and sat on his arse waving his arms and moaning to the referee.
    Thinking about it, I also said this to Bowyer.
    Once again he said I was wrong & Taylor had no option, because the defenders were the ones initiating the scuffling not him.
    I disagreed, because if it's all the defenders and not Taylor, how come none of our other players spend most of the match grappling ?
    Obviously, I'm not saying it's all down to Taylor, but the majority is.
  • We have lost at Spotland twice in less than six months. To amend Lady Bracknell: "To lose one game at Rochdale may be regarded as misfortune. To lose both games looks like carelessness."
  • Dazzler21 said:

I think any remaining optimism for the season has been extinguished.

Wow OVERREACTION ALERT!
    What are you optimistic about regarding our season? Just curious.

We've had several seasons of being a bit shit as far as I remember.
  • Back to the first and most important focus, remaining in League one until 2shits fucks off....
  • addick05 said:

Scoham said:

Yes we do... Lyle Taylor

Thinking about it, I also said this to Bowyer.
    Once again he said I was wrong & Taylor had no option, because the defenders were the ones initiating the scuffling not him.
    I disagreed, because if it's all the defenders and not Taylor, how come none of our other players spend most of the match grappling ?
    Obviously, I'm not saying it's all down to Taylor, but the majority is.
    yes, I think mostly like you. 9 times out of 10 he is looking to draw a foul rather than going for the ball. sometimes it works & against Oxford their no 4 should have been sent off. But there's the rub....he wasn't & all Taylor got for his endeavours were a couple of free kicks that we, once again, didn't capitalise upon. I will say though....he wins more headers than Magennis ever did !!
  • Just seen the disallowed goal again and I reluctantly think it was the right decision.
  • clb74 said:

Redhenry said:

Ma
    Redhenry said:

I can't believe some are having a pop at Bowyer! He has made a couple of mistakes recently, playing Page when not fit and not playing Beiliek CB but has done a lot more good things.

To be fair, blaming the manager for when a team performs badly is hardly an unusual tactic, unique to this board!

I don't think anyone is saying Bowyer's useless, but like all of us he'll get things wrong, and like all managers will have certain tactical/player blinkers on where he can't see what other people can.
  • clb74 said:

Redhenry said:

Ma
    Redhenry said:

To be fair, blaming the manager for when a team performs badly is hardly an unusual tactic, unique to this board!

I don't think anyone is saying Bowyer's useless, but like all of us he'll get things wrong, and like all managers will have certain tactical/player blinkers on where he can't see what other people can.
    And he'll see things that we can't see.
  • Sponsored links:

• So far under RD I think we've had seven managers:

Bowyer
    Fraeye
    Luzon
    Riga
    Peeters
    Slade
    Robinson

It's been more or less constant failure and the question is how much difference another manager might have made under this owner? It seems unlikely that anybody decent would have wanted the job anyway.
  • RedChaser said:

Aribo was slow to react closing down Henderson for their goal; Bowyer won't be happy with that. The lad has some lovely silky skills but is still very raw and there is plenty of room for improvement with the defensive side of his game.

I really like Aribo as a player and think he could reach a good level in the game. However I think it might be time to rest him for a bit. He's played an awful lot of football in the last year for someone so young and his form has dipped noticeably in recent weeks.
  • I agree with Nolan. I love Bowyer and he's in a difficult position but he needs to get back to basics.

He's over complicating things by playing players out of position and I think he should try 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 and dispense with the diamond for a while.

We need more goals from midfield and using the same tactics is likely to produce the same results.

Also, reduce the passing the ball sidewards and backwards at the back, unless you have the space to do so effectively.

This.
  • alicwkd said:

RedChaser said:

Aribo was slow to react closing down Henderson for their goal; Bowyer won't be happy with that. The lad has some lovely silky skills but is still very raw and there is plenty of room for improvement with the defensive side of his game.

I really like Aribo as a player and think he could reach a good level in the game. However I think it might be time to rest him for a bit. He's played an awful lot of football in the last year for someone so young and his form has dipped noticeably in recent weeks.
    Aribo was excellent against Barnsley, and has been for the majority of the season. It's only really been the last 2 games where he's been less effective.