Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton post-match thread | Sat 27 Oct 2018|

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Bowyer seems to be doing a worse job than KR....

Very depressing.

Nope he isn't. His squad isn't better his first 11 is, though we're so unbalanced with injuries and youth.

We need to review what players we have and what formation best suits them.

At the moment Bowyer is doing a Robinson by playing 4 1 2 1 2 every week.

It's not working!
    This.
  • Options
    As frustrated as I was watching that

We should remember

We had a penalty that could/should have gone in
    We had another "stonewall" penalty denied (quote from my neutral friends who were sat in the dale end)
    We hit the bar
    We hit the post
    We had at least one good looking goal ruled out for offside
    And another that maybe was/maybe wasn't offside

It wasn't our day

I went from feeling like we deserved nothing to feeling like we were utterly luckless within the space of a single text message to aforementioned friends

If things had been even slightly different, it could have been an easy three points

Still, to not score against the worst defense in any league is criminal and I was expecting a much better performance second half than we got
  • Options
    Just home & PWR.

Only one comment to make at the moment.

Fantastic, Joe Denly !!!!!!
  • Options
    Would be interesting to see what Keith Hill or John Coleman could do with our squad. Maybe they could sort the attitude and team spirit out.

Quite happy with a bit of industrial football if it gets results.
  • Options

Just home & PWR.

Only one comment to make at the moment.

Fantastic, Joe Denly !!!!!!

Brilliant !!!
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

People having a go at steer and singing for Dillon Phillips is very harsh. He made two very good saves today which kept them to 1-0 or do people forget about them? He also came and claimed crosses well. It’s not his fault he’s put in ahead of Phillips but he certainly did more than just misplace a few passes. And also you cannot blame him or the two centre backs as the movement ahead of them was criminal.

Bowyer instructs the goalie, whether it be Cullen or Phillips to play the ball out from the back.

Therefore it is not the goalie's fault that they are doing as instructed.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I suppose it is a relief that Bielik was not injured

I thought Bielik must have been injured, as he was excellent imo.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Really surprised that Bielik was subbed for tactical purposes. He was excellent at CB against Barnsley, should we have gone to 3 at the back if he wanted to keep Pratley at CB?

I wasn't there so this is pure speculation but it sounds like the prima donna Arsenal loanee didn't fancy a cold day in Rochdale when taken in tandem with Bowyer's comments regarding the attitude of some of his players.
    I genuinely thought he was our best player in the first half.
    So did I.
  • Options

was due to go to this but thankfully a Friday 'emergency' meant I couldn't make it .. thank the lord, even though it meant I lost a hotel booking and the price of a ticket .. few observations from afar .. Taylor misses another pen .. I believe he's scored 2, missed 2 and Fosu scored 1 even though Taylor was on the pitch at the time .. sort it out ..
    Bielek .. I have got the right hump with us borrowing Arsenal players who just do not seem to want to play for us and get injured or possibly feign injury .. Bielik, if you don't wanna play for us, fuck off .. Solly at left back .. I've said enuf about this in the past .. sounds like a lacklustre performance all round .. too early to say but has Bowyer and his temper alienated some temperamental players ? .. Taylor plays too wide for most of the game .. we need a proper central striker, but who ? .. wasn't there so will say no more .. inconsistency will be our downfall

What an ignorant post regarding Bielik.
    You couldn't be more wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

was due to go to this but thankfully a Friday 'emergency' meant I couldn't make it .. thank the lord, even though it meant I lost a hotel booking and the price of a ticket .. few observations from afar .. Taylor misses another pen .. I believe he's scored 2, missed 2 and Fosu scored 1 even though Taylor was on the pitch at the time .. sort it out ..
    Bielek .. I have got the right hump with us borrowing Arsenal players who just do not seem to want to play for us and get injured or possibly feign injury .. Bielik, if you don't wanna play for us, fuck off .. Solly at left back .. I've said enuf about this in the past .. sounds like a lacklustre performance all round .. too early to say but has Bowyer and his temper alienated some temperamental players ? .. Taylor plays too wide for most of the game .. we need a proper central striker, but who ? .. wasn't there so will say no more .. inconsistency will be our downfall

Though from post match comments, it would seem Bowyer agrees with Lincs.
  • Options

Though from post match comments, it would seem Bowyer agrees with Lincs.
    I don't think so. Bowyer said he was unhappy with Bielik getting caught in possession didn't he?

I don't recall him saying Bielik doesn't want to play for us, nor that he was feigning injury and I certainly don't believe Bowyer would approve of Bielik being told to fuck off.
    Happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    This is my humble impression of the sum total of our tactical play over the last 3 years.
    We move the ball aimlessly at the back (creating no space) then hurry long 50/50 balls to isolated forwards who at best manage to create some random mess from which on a good day one of our gifted individuals go on to get behind the opposition's defence and create scoring opportunity.
    When it works (Barnsley) we (the crowd and unfortunately the management too) very quickly draw target circles around these random arrows and convince ourselves we were brilliant, and vice versa when we lose...

Propper passing football of quick one touch compact passing at speed with off the ball movement to create space is something we don't seem to produce and not for lack of individuals skill in my opinion.

Different manager..?
    Not necessary.
    Just a rethink maybe...
  • Options
    At this level and below you 'll never survive if you fail to compete..you really have to get the basics right..and have the tactical nous to exploit the talent the squad has once you cover the basics

• Options
    Watched on iFollow. It was like a defeat under Robinson. Too much passing out from the back, problem is we don’t have a striker that can win headers. We need to find a way to go longer at times to mix it up.

One of the things I’ve liked about Bowyer is his teams have been more balanced. Not overly direct or tippy tappy, or too attacking or defensive, stuck to one formation or style of play etc.

I like the diamond but it needs the right players. Solly and Dijksteel’s strengths aren’t attacking. Ward and Fosu are more wide players than central players.

The other issue is the lack of goals from our midfield. They need to get in more goalscoring positions which will lead them taking more shots. It’s great to have two goal scoring strikers but we need more goals from elsewhere in the team.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Scoham said:

Watched on iFollow. It was like a defeat under Robinson. Too much passing out from the back, problem is we don’t have a striker that can win headers. We need to find a way to go longer at times to mix it up.

One of the things I’ve liked about Bowyer is his teams have been more balanced. Not overly direct or tippy tappy, or too attacking or defensive, stuck to one formation or style of play etc.

I like the diamond but it needs the right players. Solly and Dijksteel’s strengths aren’t attacking. Ward and Fosu are more wide players than central players.

The other issue is the lack of goals from our midfield. They need to get in more goalscoring positions which will lead them taking more shots. It’s great to have two goal scoring strikers but we need more goals from elsewhere in the team.

Yes we do... Lyle Taylor

Just there will be games when Defenders will get the better of him, the same as in other games he'll get the better of them

Problem is we dont have an alternative to him if defences do have his number
  • Options
    I think any remaining optimism for the season has been extinguished.
  • Options

Has it? - Just feels a typical feel on CharltonLife

Win and we're getting to the Play-Offs | Lose and its season over
  • Options

We've lost three of our last six games and won once and are playing poorly - with the possible exception of the Barnsley game. It doesn't look good.....

Hopefully things will change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the game.
    Very poor performance with nothing of note to report.
    Taylor had an absolute stinker......can’t remember him wining one single header and only rarely did he get the ball down to feet and link play.
    Rochdale pretty average and yet again an average side found a way to stop us playing.
    Worrying times.
  • Options

Long way to go yet mate.
  • Options

Long way to go yet mate.
    Maybe this will be the season?
  • Options

We've lost three of our last six games and won once and are playing poorly - with the possible exception of the Barnsley game. It doesn't look good.....

Do hope things will change, yet if we win our next three we've only missed our nine game target by three points

That can easily be made up later on in the season
  • Options
    Uboat said:

stonemuse said:
    Quite a lot going on there, not least the mysterious quotation marks.
    The Valiants???
  • Options

Do hope things will change, yet if we win our next three we've only missed our nine game target by three points

I'm not really sure what LB will do to change things. The return of Page would certainly help but we don't seem to score enough.

Once you drop below 1.5 points per game you're going nowhere. Next 3 fixtures:

Doncaster H
    Walsall A
    Portsmouth A

All potentially difficult.
  • Options

I'm not really sure what LB will do to change things. The return of Page would certainly help but we don't seem to score enough.

Doncaster H
    Walsall A
    Portsmouth A

Yet funnily am more confident against the tougher teams under Bowyer - Not to mention there is no guarantee that game against Portsmouth will happen

If there is issue with Bowyer's tactics its the fact we cant seem to beat the teams we should be beating: AFC Wimbledon | Bristol Rovers | Rochdale | Oxford | Fleetwood

These are all similar opponents yet we've failed to show up each time against any of them since he's been in charge
  • Options
    Read the BBC (Press association) report, and it seemed we were unlucky. Read here and we made Panama look good. I suspect the truth lies somewhere between...

It's still wank losing to Rochdale.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Doncaster H
    Walsall A
    Portsmouth A

Yet funnily am more confident against the tougher teams under Bowyer - Not to mention there is no guarantee that game against Portsmouth will happen

If there is issue with Bowyer's tactics its the fact we cant seem to beat the teams we should be beating: AFC Wimbledon | Bristol Rovers | Rochdale | Oxford | Fleetwood

These are all similar opponents yet we've failed to show up each time against any of them since he's been in charge
    Good analysis. He has deemed it to be attitude the old 'we're too good for this league just roll over and we'll tickle your belly' mentality. Unfortunately we are prime meat for the lesser likes of league one. You have to meet fire with fire just like Powell's squad did in 2011/2012. This squad has some good technically gifted players but do they fancy a battle on a cold winters day oop North , which this league mainly is. On yesterday's showing some didn't.

Bowyer tells it like it is and how he expects his players to roll their sleeves up just as he would have done but if some of them ain't got the same drive and appetite for the challenge.......... It ain't gonna happen no matter what formation he deploys, we are still lacking some useful big lumps IMO and the alternatives don't exist with the back up available.