Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southampton Student Union

Comments

• Options

Did she understand what the mural was depicting? Of course those people died to give others the right to speak such disgusting drivel. Doesn't mean they should though. I don't think it is fair to label all students in the same way however. The student Union should sack her on the spot.

Of course she didn't that's why the rest of SUSU are distancing themselves from her.
    Her best bet would be to resign her position and get on with her 3rd year.
  • Options

Because I feel like biting a little bit... What I dont understand is the fact that surely these people whether they're from the Southampton / Cambridge Student Union had relatives who either fought or died in either WW1 or WW2

I know it shouldnt instantly make you a sympathiser to the Wars and if you have have issues with the whole Poppy of Rememberance etc. then fair enough - Yet for me I know I have family who both died and came back from both Wars and if I were to come out with that sort of comment then I would feel a measure if disrespect towards my ancestors

Unless of course these kids are failing to see the wider picture and arent aware of family who took part in the conflicts

Maybe if history was actually taught in schools today then this sort of crap from someone who is supposed to be earning a degree (and probably landing herself with about £40,000 of debt which she will probably never pay off) might not occur? Bet her lefty snowflake parents are really proud of her. Hopefully the majority of the people of this country aren't!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    HarryLime said:

Did she understand what the mural was depicting? Of course those people died to give others the right to speak such disgusting drivel. Doesn't mean they should though. I don't think it is fair to label all students in the same way however. The student Union should sack her on the spot.

Of course she didn't that's why the rest of SUSU are distancing themselves from her.
    Her best bet would be to resign her position and get on with her 3rd year.
    Well, I would say if she didn't, it would be her best form of apology to admit it. Saying that in her ignorance it was just a group of white men collecting degrees! Then as you say - resign and focus on her studies.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Bloody twitter. I long for the good old days when you could talk as much bollocks as you liked with your mates and they'd just call you a twat and make you get the next round in. Now anybody's malformed halfwit opinion is there to be splattered all over the internet for the entire planet to marvel at.

Modern life is rubbish. (That's my idiot opinion for you all to enjoy anyway!)

Blur thought this in 1993...
  • Options

Missed It said:

Bloody twitter. I long for the good old days when you could talk as much bollocks as you liked with your mates and they'd just call you a twat and make you get the next round in. Now anybody's malformed halfwit opinion is there to be splattered all over the internet for the entire planet to marvel at.

Modern life is rubbish. (That's my idiot opinion for you all to enjoy anyway!)

Blur thought this in 1993...
    They were right then, and they're still right now!
  • Options

Doubt she means a word of that apology

Bit harsh again. None of us know her. She cant take back what has been done, so all she can do is apologise and as civilised people I think we should except it at face value, unless we have good evidence to the contrary?
    My view is she is an educated individual, knew what the mural depicted and still said it anyway. The response to what she wrote forced an apology
  • Options

Bit harsh again. None of us know her. She cant take back what has been done, so all she can do is apologise and as civilised people I think we should except it at face value, unless we have good evidence to the contrary?
    My view is she is an educated individual, knew what the mural depicted and still said it anyway. The response to what she wrote forced an apology
    Find it hard to believe she wouldn't know what it depicted and the apology sounds a little forced.

• Options
    addick05 said:

Because I feel like biting a little bit... What I dont understand is the fact that surely these people whether they're from the Southampton / Cambridge Student Union had relatives who either fought or died in either WW1 or WW2

I know it shouldnt instantly make you a sympathiser to the Wars and if you have have issues with the whole Poppy of Rememberance etc. then fair enough - Yet for me I know I have family who both died and came back from both Wars and if I were to come out with that sort of comment then I would feel a measure if disrespect towards my ancestors

Unless of course these kids are failing to see the wider picture and arent aware of family who took part in the conflicts

Maybe if history was actually taught in schools todaythen this sort of crap from someone who is supposed to be earning a degree (and probably landing herself with about £40,000 of debt which she will probably never pay off) might not occur? Bet her lefty snowflake parents are really proud of her. Hopefully the majority of the people of this country aren't!
    They've stopped teaching history?
    Wow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@ValleyGary soon to be seen aboard the arcitc sunrise

Would ya.

I would. It's a double bonus for her. Whilst she's entertaining Percy she can't make a fool of herself on twitter.
    It's a maybe. I'd make sure it was over quickly and she wasn't satisfied afterwards. Should be no problem for me and it would give her another reason to hate white men
  • Options

Find it hard to believe she wouldn't know what it depicted and the apology sounds a little forced.

Indeed. You don't announce anything prefaced with "Mark my words" and then not mean to be taken literally. She's been slapped down and now she's rowing back as fast as she can.

Hopefully, this is one life lesson she's learned that £1,000s in tuition fees can't buy.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Maybe if history was actually taught in schools today then this sort of crap from someone who is supposed to be earning a degree (and probably landing herself with about £40,000 of debt which she will probably never pay off) might not occur? Bet her lefty snowflake parents are really proud of her. Hopefully the majority of the people of this country aren't!
    History is taught in schools FFS
  • Options

addick05 said:

The big argument is over what the school curriculum should cover but it surely has to cover WW1 and WW2 in some depth.

Any history teachers or parents on here who know what the secondary syllabus is likely to cover at present?
  • Options
    I doubt that any syllabus would be covering Southampton university students who went to war and died before they could graduate.

She’s a stupid cow who got on her high horse and posted something without knowing the facts.
  • Options

addick05 said:

The big argument is over what the school curriculum should cover but it surely has to cover WW1 and WW2 in some depth.

Any history teachers or parents on here who know what the secondary syllabus is likely to cover at present?
    Yes, and it covers WW1 and WW2.

As I said above my son, 19, is at Uni reading history. He and everyone else in his state, non-selective schools studied history in primary and secondary school.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    UK Government directive for the teaching of GCSE history, improved and updated in 2016. KS3 details also available on the same site.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310549/history_GCSE_formatted.pdf
  • Options
    BDL said:

My eldest son is in his second year at Southampton, says that the SOSU committee are all a bunch of cockwombles and he isn't surprised at the hole that has been dug.

My youngest son is studying history, albeit at a selective state school undertaking the national curriculum, and part of that course involved a trip to Ypres and Tynecot.

That trip must really bring it home to the kids.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

addick05 said:

Just asked my mate. His missus is head of department at a secondary school in South London. She's a history teacher. First and second world war are taught as basic history for all first year students (or second year, depending on the particular curriculum being followed) ie before history is chosen as an option.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    BDL said:

My eldest son is in his second year at Southampton, says that the SOSU committee are all a bunch of cockwombles and he isn't surprised at the hole that has been dug.

My youngest son is studying history, albeit at a selective state school undertaking the national curriculum, and part of that course involved a trip to Ypres and Tynecot.

Both my sons studied history at selective secondary school to 'A' level and then at University. School included a trip to Ypres (in year 10 or 11 I believe) and they both consider the ceremony at the Menin Gate to be one of the most moving experiences of their lives.
  • Options
    BDL said:

BDL said:

That trip must really bring it home to the kids.
    I went on the trip with my eldest a few years back, it shook the all up, one lad in particular was in absolute bits when he saw someone with his surname on the wall, they could have only been a couple of years older than him.

The school laid a wreath at an un-named soldiers grave and, to a boy, they all stood and listened to the teacher as he gave his speech. I think they got it.

It always upsets me when you hear how young the lads were who went to fight in WW1. So many died and those who survived were haunted by what they saw - my grandfather could never really discuss it.

For kids to go there and see the scale of the slaughter brings it home in a way reading about it never could.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

BDL said:

Both my sons studied history at selective secondary school to 'A' level and then at University. School included a trip to Ypres (in year 10 or 11 I believe) and they both consider the ceremony at the Menin Gate to be one of the most moving experiences of their lives.
    Did this myself back in the 90s. It was GCSE history (we had covered both wars prior to GCSE, but the great war was covered in depth at GCSE). I can vouch for what your son said. I'd been before, but most students hadn't. You could have cut the atmosphere in the coach on the way back with a knife. I'm sure the student knew all this, but burst out of her echo chamber backwards it seems. And rightly so...
  • Options
    Maybe not now, but hopefully 20/30 years from now she will look back on this and cringe at what she has said. We all do things we regret but this one is pretty horrendous!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

BDL said:

I am so glad I can now agree with this , the menin gate last post ceremony is a truly remarkable and I challenge anyone to not feel totally humble and in huge dept of gratitude to all those it Honours
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Why has nobody heeded Keith Gammons warning of another shot of ultimate gammonness from across the bows?