Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Oxford - Post Match Views

Comments

• Also on the subject of Ricky Holmes; I know he's not our player and not fully fit but he looks a shadow of the one we had at the Valley

Bloke took a huge step back by going Sheffield United
  • Now mid table
    Great

Or you could have said, 3 points from the playoff places with a game in hand?

• Also on the subject of Ricky Holmes; I know he's not our player and not fully fit but he looks a shadow of the one we had at the Valley

Bloke took a huge step back by going Sheffield United

He’s not fully fit
  • Oggy Red said:

Now mid table
    Great

Or you could have said, 3 points from the playoff places with a game in hand?

Username as well, hahaha
  • We were poor tonight and not at the races, even with some very good football at times, especially just after we had scored.

Struggle to understand why we went from a diamond that was working, to a flat 4 and then back to the diamond to try and win it.

Bringing off Reeves just was strange when Fosu was not great. Grant wasn’t on form and we really missed Igor on the bench too.

Overall, not a great night at all as two points dropped and we fall behind again with other teams continuing to pick up points.

We must win against Rochdale now and follow up with a win against Doncaster. That will put us back amongst the top 6.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a "down to earth with a bump" evening.

After Barnsley we seemed all ready to kick on but that was a flat performance.

Not sure the flat 442 worked. The diamond suits Grant a lot better but he was fairly anonymous tonight but not for lack of effort.

Aribo wasted some decent chances and we couldn't find our players with the balls across the box that have yielded so many goals this year.

Dijksteel was good, I said after the Barnsley game that Sarr was fourth choice centre half but Pratley tonight showed that I was wrong. Naby is 5th choice.

Still not convinced by Steer.

Yes, the ref was poor and could have booked twice as many of the Oxford players as he did but he gave us a penalty and we didn't build on it.

Hope the cancer research bucket collection went well. Good to see @T.C.E and Vallie
  • edited October 2018

LouisMend said:
    Should have been 2nil up before that though Bows.
    Take it on the chin mate.
    Exactly right. Can't just blame the ref every time we can't finish a team off.
  • Roland out!
  • Didn’t deserve to win but it was the wrong sub for me, should’ve been Fosu off for Ward. Bit of a shame but oh well and oh dear the ref bottling the sending off...
  • Bang average as the kids would say, except the ref who was awful.

I assume injuries meant we had an ageing midfielder as a make shift centre half and Fosu in for Ward. Nabby must be smarting, an ageing midfielder is a preffered option.

Never looked comfortable, seemed they had more possession and we did little when we did have it, did we actually string more than 3 passes together? Grant and Taylor had scraps at best, only goal a Pen.

Fosu for all his ability is showing why he was sold by his previous club, his decision making is extremely poor, wasteful, trys to take on everyone on the pitch, he should have been subbed for Ward on 60 mins.

Reeves shows glimpses of the player that always annoyed me when he played against us, but inconsistent, defending terrible although I counted two tackles today so he's improving.

We're a mid table side, well and truly. 12 points from top, 12 from bottom. 5 points form the last 15 is disappointing, Oxford have 6.

Two many points dropped the season already, still all to play for, but my 7th-12th is looking more likely than play offs right now but we live in hope......
  • LouisMend said:
    Should have been 2nil up before that though Bows.
    Take it on the chin mate.
    Agreed thought robbo had left the building
  • A frustrating evening, I should have stayed in the pub for my birthday!

We can't say we were unlucky either, as we created hardly any clear cut chances, as most of the time the final ball just wasn't there. I think we got worse as the game went on, it all went very route one, which played into the hands of the Oxford defenders

Oxford really put a shift in tonight, a lot of fouls and bookings, but if I was a fan I'd be pleased. Their No 4 was very lucky to stay on the pitch, especially the way he lost his head afterwards. One of our players should have got tight on him straight after to provoke a reaction.

I thought Holmes played well. Yes he's not fully fit, but every time he got on the ball and ran with it he looked dangerous
  • Just got home from the march.
    We are simply not learning how to close a game out.
    Right from the 1st game of the season when We led at Sunderland and lost.
    Led at Luton
    Led at Scunthorpe
    Led against Coventry
    Led tonight against Oxford.
    This side is mentally week we cannot close a game out when we are winning and we ain't going up.
    Fuck off Roland and let someone with a bit of ambition take over.
  • Very relieved that Holmes cane off before the end as otherwise we all know what was gonna happen....
  • Apologies for spelling.
    I've had a few.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have to be clinical in these types of games, for a team like us we should be scoring from open play against the Oxfords and putting them away when we have a lead.
  • Poor game all round. Worth the 6 hour round trip....no.
  • Valley11 said:

Interesting

So RD pushed him out right?
  • One of the most ‘mid table League One’ games I have seen. Depressing.

I have watched them three times this season v Peterborough, Coventry and tonight, each game we have had the same issue, A lack of a cut throat, kill a game off desire. Build up is too slow. We need to move the ball faster and with more urgency.
  • Very much as i expected and predicted i'm afraid. A midweek game with a small crowd against a poor team looking to spoil. Throw in an ex Charlton player and manager looking to make a point and the result was as inevitable as night following day. What was most disappointing however particularly after the Barnsley result and performance was that the display particularly second half was poor, and not worthy of more than a point. We definitely have the players to make the Play-Offs at least, but our inability to win these sort of games particularly at home is why we will probably only just scrape into the Play-Offs if that and may well miss them altogether.
  • Two poor teams swerved up an awful game. Lucky to get a point in the end. We were simply not at the races secind half. Bad team selection and refusal to change things was our downfall. Fosu In particular was poor but he had plenty of competition for dud of the night.
  • Charltonesque
  • Our crossing was poor, poor, poor all night, & the draw unfortunately the right result, lost the midfield in the 2nd half and not a shot on target. Need 3 points Saturday and be nice for a clean sheet.
  • Just didn't happen for us tonight. The key for me was that Fosu and Aribo were muscled out by good strong Oxford resistance and thus curtailing some of the supply chain to Grant and Taylor. Credit to KR as he had the detailed knowledge of seven of our players and used it effectively.
    That last ten minutes, Oxford were in the ascendancy and there were a few dangerous moments.
    Reeves was my MOM. Obviously he played a great part for the pen but when others are not stepping up, he took on the creative responsibility. Also made a great block on Branagan at the back in the first half.
    Key moments came in that half when both Taylor and Aribo miscued when 2-0 would of put us into orbit.
    Missed opportunity tonight. Funny old game, before Saturday would of taken Barnsley draw and Oxford win so not too disheartened, but we must punish Rochdale at the weekend, no excuses.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2018
    Oxford started better without really threatening. Charlton came into it & had a lot of play down the left side. Deservedly went 1-0 up from a move from a lovely cross field ball from Taylor & good play from Reeves to help win a penalty. Charlton had a good patch after & should have gone in at the break 2-0 up. Midfield looked good.

Second half Charlton never got going. That being true, the abysmal ref, bottled giving a clear 2nd yellow & sending off after their No 4 pulling back Taylor. The player had lost the plot & was taken off by Robinson. Charlton had not much on the bench but maybe it was worth a try ? Oxford equalised when play should have stopped for a head injury on Cullen. Oxford finished the stronger.

Charlton should have finished off a poor looking Oxford team in the first half. Ref, who set the tone by not booking a clear pull back on 2 minutes set the tone did not help the match.

There’s some good players in the current team. I liked the look of Cullen & Aribo is improving & starting to show signs of real class. There is lack of depth & options to change things looks to be the Achilles heel of the team. But ain’t that always the same thing in every season under Duchatelet. At least Robinson didn’t walk off with the win. That’s not much consolation. Injuries on a thin squad not clearly helping. Charlton would struggle to make top 6 on performances like that.