Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Q Boxes

Comments

• Riviera said:

With a 2TB memory and the facility to delete 100 episodes of a series in one go I don't really see the problem.

It isn't - just let it record what it thinks you might want to watch. it might get it right one day. Why my Virgin box keeps changing channel to the news or Come dine with me - I'll never know though!
  • cafcpolo said:

I was looking forward to the Netflix addition but it’s yet another £10/m add on.
    They can shove it, I am already paying nearly £100/m.

Have you not got a Netflix ac already?
    I do.
    It would just be nice to have it all in one place.
    You can use that same subscription with Sky and not pay extra.
    Yup......although I’m still not sure I’ll use the Sky Netflix app until they upgrade for all of the HDR types (ie Dolby Vision)
    Got this today as it worked out slightly cheaper for me and means I can still use Netflix app for HDR content if I want it.

Netflix shows appear as normal on the home page, looks nice, no real difference. Searches are split between Netflix and Sky so you have to choose between where you want to search. Bit of a shame you have to switch between the two, it's not that big of a deal (two / three remote presses) but would have been nice to have it in one place.

What I didn't realise is that it is actually an app and when you go to play a show that's on Netflix, you don't just press play and away it goes...It loads the app and then you have to press play again to watch the episode which is a bit of a faff / disappointment. Would have been nice if the whole lot was seamlessly integrated and you were given the impression you're watching it through Sky.
  • Got the Sky/Netflix deal yesterday. Already had Sky Box Sets so not a great increase in price. In fact I dropped Sky Kids from my package so am now paying £4.50 less per month for 18 months while the Netflix is on offer. After that my subscription will revert to what I’m paying now. I’m very happy. Personally I don’t find having to load the Netflix app much bother. I would imagine integrating Netflix into the Sky screen would have been enormously complicated and actually very confusing. I like the Netflix platform anyway.
  • I might link the two together but I'm reluctant to give into Sky. I get the feeling they're doing me a favour by offering this package which isn't that well integrated into the Sky platform. I really think Netflix should be free to me from Sky considering how much the Sky Q costs/annum and the utter shit that is on 90% of the channels.
    At the moment I stream lots 4k content from Netflix, Sky Q is somewhat lacking this instant / live stuff apart from some sport like F1 and Arsenal, (who I make a point of missing), there are 4k films you have to down load to the box, not watch on ordinary channels, which is a bit primitive.
    Also while having a pop at Sky their sound box with a RRP of nearly £800, who are they kidding? There cant be an idiot in the world who pay that for the plastic speaker. And come to think of it if you made something that was worth £800 you'd be an idiot to sell for near a quarter of its value.
  • My Mum is about to go into Sheltered Accomodation with extra Care. We have got a visit next Wednesday am. If she is happy with is she can move in.I don't know what date she can move in (it is done via Greenwich Council mental health team etc. Sky called me up a couple of weeks back offering me low connectiin and freeboxes so there was no point. Catch 22. My mum's HD Box wasn't working great after one of their dates early this year and only gets the left hand of the planner, doesn't record and is very very slow changing channels. So needs to be replaced anyway. As a result of Mum moving I would not be able to stay permanently whee I am now as it is a council 3 bedroom flat and me being single means I can't stay so I am applying for a 1 bed flat with the council so with my box playing up too and needs replacing and with me going to be moving too there was no point in syaying yes to in an installatioin and then having to move again. Hopefuilly I will be able to get 2 separate skq boxes for free, one for mum and one fo me when we have both moved. At the moment my box freezes when recording today. I do it on the time settings (time to start and time to finish) which I used all the time. Ther last couple of days as I have already got the facility of doing reocrding form the planner and series recording I have tried it with the manual recording. Yesterday I thought I would try recording gymnastics on BBC with the R on the Planner and manual on BBC for the news and both failed !!.

Guys do you have any issues with SKQ recordings?

a) Do you get any failed recordings?
    b) Do you miss the start and end of any programs?
    c) What happens say in the summer BBC decided to move Eastenders on to BBC2 because a tennis match is over running on BBC1? (andyour out)

• Rudders22 said:

a) Do you get any failed recordings?
    b) Do you miss the start and end of any programs?
    c) What happens say in the summer BBC decided to move Eastenders on to BBC2 because a tennis match is over running on BBC1? (andyour out)

I've had failed recordings before but never for no reason. Always been due to power cut or system update (if recording something late night - no not like that).
    Never had the start or end of programs missed off.
    They are pretty good with this and are generally quick to update planner so the recording continues to the extended time. If they were to switch channels for it say from BBC1 to BBC2 I doubt it'd work though.
  • thanks cafcpolo for answering my questions. Much appreciated. Sounds good. Hopefully the offer is still there by next wednesday night and once I have checked mum can have sky I will order and have one installed at Mum's new address (it is not so much sky themselves it is wether they are happy to have sky dishes - altohugh on google map it is showing small dishes on some properties but not on the the place's website although google is more recent).

Next summer I record all the tennis on 961 to 966 everday when Wimbledon is on and watch other programs at the same time on the 7th (or watch the football on sky and record the soaps and news etc and go and watch that later). Looking forward to it.

• A couple of points on failed recordings on my mini box (sky Q, main box in main house()

The only thing i do find, i have recorded on Freesports TV (Pool) and when it overruns the time slot will just cut off as its done in slots. Not sure what i can do to stop this in future as it doesn't happen every week but has done a few times and you miss the end of the match.
    I have heard others just record the next show too but still doesn't really fix the issue, also never tried manual recording.

Sometimes it hasn't recorded, not sure if this is due to Sky Q or my stepdad /mum deleting in the main house, although they claim not to. This is frustrating but one of those things really.

Paul, sorry to hear your mum is going into care. Hope you are ok and its probably the best case all round if its got to that point.
  • Thinking of going over from Sky + to Sky Q. Do I still need a dish , have heard that sky late 2018 no dish required If I do need a dish will the cable need to be replaced / upgraded ?
  • A couple of points on failed recordings on my mini box (sky Q, main box in main house()

The only thing i do find, i have recorded on Freesports TV (Pool) and when it overruns the time slot will just cut off as its done in slots. Not sure what i can do to stop this in future as it doesn't happen every week but has done a few times and you miss the end of the match.
    I have heard others just record the next show too but still doesn't really fix the issue, also never tried manual recording.

Sometimes it hasn't recorded, not sure if this is due to Sky Q or my stepdad /mum deleting in the main house, although they claim not to. This is frustrating but one of those things really.

Paul, sorry to hear your mum is going into care. Hope you are ok and its probably the best case all round if its got to that point.

Thanks John, in case anybody didn't know John and I worked together. John, as you know with my Mum has mental health issues and over the years it has got worse. It has a mental and very stressful impact on me. I have always felt guilty about arranging this but everyone says "Don't ever feel guilty, you have done all you can for her. She will be in the best place for her" We live upstairs in a maisonette so nt great with her walking frame etc and the one carrying for. It is like an obstacle course. She will be able to meet people her own age there (if she wants to) and they do activities there.. whereas he she can't really get ou of the house and walk far. This is what keeps me going and the thought it will be better for the bost of us. The "good" thing is she is getting worked up today about how untidy this place is (where we are living) and moaning about "there is no point having a cleaner/get it cleaned as I won't be here" (which was part of my reason with mum it is too big for the pair of us to clean and maintain 3 bedroomed flat).
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018

Thinking of going over from Sky + to Sky Q. Do I still need a dish , have heard that sky late 2018 no dish required If I do need a dish will the cable need to be replaced / upgraded ?

Not heard that there is going to be no dish required at any point. Sky is a satellite platform so not sure how it could work without. Certainly my dish and cable were replaced when I moved to SkyQ. My daughter also very recently. I’m sure a quick call to Sky could answer your questions.

Edit : quick google says that from late 2018 SkyQ will be delivered by broadband

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-confirms-no-satellite-dish-required-late-2018
  • Thinking of going over from Sky + to Sky Q. Do I still need a dish , have heard that sky late 2018 no dish required If I do need a dish will the cable need to be replaced / upgraded ?

Not heard that there is going to be no dish required at any point. Sky is a satellite platform so not sure how it could work without. Certainly my dish and cable were replaced when I moved to SkyQ. My daughter also very recently. I’m sure a quick call to Sky could answer your questions.

Edit : quick google says that from late 2018 SkyQ will be delivered by broadband

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-confirms-no-satellite-dish-required-late-2018
    Fuck that. My broadband is shit!
  • Getting Q at the end of the month, glad it'll be before any potential broadband method is rolled out.
  • If there's no difference in price I'll be sticking with the dish.

The mini boxes are always a few seconds behind the main box because the mini dishes are connected by the broadband rather than the dish.

Plus the dish is far more reliable than broadband which is very prone to dropping out at times, your TV picture would go with it too.

So unless there's any real incentive to switch to having TV supplied by Broadband I'll be sticking with the dish.
  • Now My mum has accepted and confirmed she is going into Sheltered Accomodation plus I only found out by chance that a property I looked at with the council on 8th October that, the 1st person (after we visited turned it down). Council didn't tell me that this was the case... it was bure chance when I called them to update my mum moving now. Now I am stuck as we both move out on Nov 19th. So I now try and call sky their moving team.. what a joke. I am now in the queue for nearly 2hrs.. Correction I have just been cut off. I redialled and automated message recomending callback tomorrow unless urgent average time wait 40 mins. How does that tie up with the 2hrs and then being disconnected. !!
  • I ordered my Sky Boxes now. Apparently looking at my order they are giving me 3 mini boxes and 3 remote controls. I think they have done me there as I don't need 3 boxes (unless one is a hub). Also looks like it will be connected to the internet via fibre network. (maybe a very slow picture.... ) i guess one thing if it is pissing down with rain I will at least get a picture. unlike now.
  • Rudders22 said:

I ordered my Sky Boxes now. Apparently looking at my order they are giving me 3 mini boxes and 3 remote controls. I think they have done me there as I don't need 3 boxes (unless one is a hub). Also looks like it will be connected to the internet via fibre network. (maybe a very slow picture.... ) i guess one thing if it is pissing down with rain I will at least get a picture. unlike now.

Sky Q boxes need a dish still dont they?!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Rudders22 said:

I ordered my Sky Boxes now. Apparently looking at my order they are giving me 3 mini boxes and 3 remote controls. I think they have done me there as I don't need 3 boxes (unless one is a hub). Also looks like it will be connected to the internet via fibre network. (maybe a very slow picture.... ) i guess one thing if it is pissing down with rain I will at least get a picture. unlike now.

Sky Q boxes need a dish still dont they?!
    Soon to be WiFi
  • It is going to be wifi.... according to my order.. doesn't say anthing about a dish but talks about connection with internet....
  • The wife has asked me to look into changing from sky HD to the Q but I am undecided currently I've multi-room with a box in the front room and IO connected to the bedroom above and another out in the conservtory IO connected to my eldests bedroom but with 2 other kids wanting thier own Q is probably the way to go but when reading up each additional mini box SKY want £99 per box and they are only loaned to you and then extra for the netflix my sky bill will rocket no doubt. So my question is .... is it really worth it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• magic1999 said:

The wife has asked me to look into changing from sky HD to the Q but I am undecided currently I've multi-room with a box in the front room and IO connected to the bedroom above and another out in the conservtory IO connected to my eldests bedroom but with 2 other kids wanting thier own Q is probably the way to go but when reading up each additional mini box SKY want £99 per box and they are only loaned to you and then extra for the netflix my sky bill will rocket no doubt. So my question is .... is it really worth it ?

I changed and IMHO it is worth it, but they only advise a maximum of 3 boxes at a time. Don't know if this will change with everything going via wifi rather than dish.

They also gave me a free booster because the boxes were not that close to each other.

Also at the time because I was changing the set up and one extra box was free, I paid for the third.

Hope this helps.
  • HartleyPete, I have ordered a Sky Qboc 2TB. I think I made a mistake when I said I want the same as my cureent setup. I meant package not multiscreen. On my order it is showing £99 for this. And beeing given 2 min boxes?? I wil be living in a one bedroom flat. Is that £99 every month or is that a one of box. The way I am reading it is that it is £99 for a one of charge but I am then being charged £12 per month... Is that correct? I have also gone for a phone line and fibre broadband.. I will show you mine.. oo er misses... Secondly, what device can I use to watch Sky go on in the meantime. I have Google Chrome. I have read thorugh that Google Chrome is not compatible I can get Sky Go on the phone but phone is yoo small.

I asked the lady at the other end and asked "Hw much my bill will be per month and she advised me £119" which I am sure she is wtong.. it is just the additional fees for the costs of installs?
    I am reading it that my price per month is going to going down?

I don't want to pay £99 every month for a mini box I am not going to use. I was wrongly under the impression that you would get a mini box free.

• So being a single man in a one bedroom flat, do I need multiscreen to get all the benefits or have I been misold?
  • Rudders by the sounds of it youve been missold in my eyes unless you want one in one room and one in bedroom
  • I will be on the phone tomorrw cheers magic1999. I have so much to do with 2 separate moves and had spent 5hrs on the phone to them.
  • Hi Rudders firstly The box fee of £99 is a one off fee, but depending on exactly what package you have bought will determine what monthly fee you pay.

You will need a main box plus one mini box for each additional location. For instance if you have a tv in lounge and one in bedroom you will need a main box plus one mini box.

Sky go works perfectly on my iPad and is brilliant when you are in different locations which has wifi.
  • Have my WiFi router in the kitchen and sky q box in the living room but it's really hit and miss in terms of internet connectivity.

• Do you have to pull out the power cable and count to ten like you do on the older sky boxes?
  • I tried calling sky via their stupid automated system, the 1st lady I spoke to eventualy understood what I was talking about, didn't say too much, left me wondering what she was doing. I think she was transferring me to another team and have been on hold for 35 mins and waiting. I might just leave it as it is and buy a TV for the bedroom and one in the kitchen or something. I am alwasy going for a pee at football so might have one in the bathroom !! I have already paid £99 so it will be the £12 multiscreen now I will be paying, which is £120 a year !! Can anyone recommend a device I can use SkyQ on the go app? I uynderstand it doesn't work with chrome and you need Windows 10 for normal sky app. I would call Sky... but...