Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Problem Pets

We have a small cat that is being absolutely terrorised by a neighbour's cat. It looks like a male grey Bengal cat, it is very aggressive (probably not neutered) and has been coming into our house (cat flap) with increased frequency to attack our cat.

We moved in a few months ago and we have already had two vets visits, which have cost us around £500. We are going to start keeping our cat in at night for a while to try and keep her safe but we can't do that during the day.

Going to try find out who it belongs to and speak to them tomorrow, as well as purchasing a decent water pistol. Anyone had issues like this before/advice etc.?

Comments

• Give your cat a chance mate, shut the cat flap full stop. Put some leaflets through doors locally to identify the aggressors owners and suggest they neuter the cat. Bengals are aggressive and territorial without having testosterone to Jack them up further
  • I've had similar but not bad enough for vets visits (touch wood). You've only been there a few months - maybe the past owners allowed it in? Water will definitely help, we keep a spray handy. If you know how/where it enters your garden there are various deterrents you can buy. It'll limit where your cat can go but it'll be safer and happier.

There are still cat killings occurring so I'd be wary of letting a cat out at night regardless.

• Can you change the cat flap to a magnetic one that the other cat can't open? Otherwise I'd invite Big Rob to come over with his .22 rifle.
  • A catapult and a big bucket of acorns might do it
  • Can you change the cat flap to a magnetic one that the other cat can't open? Otherwise I'd invite Big Rob to come over with his .22 rifle.

I was going to suggest that, we don't have a cat flap, our cat is happy to use the litter tray. I never leave my cat out at night even though she keeps me up all night with the bell on her collar.
  • Buy a dog.

I do recall my mum had a dog and a couple of cats. The dog didn't like one of the cats in particular but when the cat was threatened by an outside cat, the dog stuck up for her and scared the cat off. Even if they don't like them, they still see them as part of their tribe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Put a cage with a trap against the inside of the cat flap. Once caught, drive the little f****r miles away to the middle of nowhere and let him out.

That’s what @ElfsborgAddick ‘s parents did to him when he was little.

• Capture the cat when it comes in. Check it for a tag. If it doesnt have one take it to a non profit vets such as Celia Hammond. Tell them you think its a stray as its trying to move into your house. Theyll scan it for a microchip.

If it has a microchip youll be able to contact the owner. If it doesnt they will neuter it because its a stray going around making lots of unwanted kittens. Win win.
  • If your cat is only being attacked inside your house then invest in a PetPorte Flap Safe microchip recognition cat flap and, if not already done, get your cat microchipped. You can set the cat flap to only open when your cat approaches and it reads the microchip. You can also change the setting to stop your cat going out.
  • If your cat is only being attacked inside your house then invest in a PetPorte Flap Safe microchip recognition cat flap and, if not already done, get your cat microchipped. You can set the cat flap to only open when your cat approaches and it reads the microchip. You can also change the setting to stop your cat going out.

This. Ours works really well. Cat flap latch stays open for about 15 seconds after being dropped, so it is possible the Bengal could still chase yours in. The settings are open both ways, in only, out only, and closed, so if you set out only, then it can still escape when you come after in with the water pistol.

We didn't have vet issues, but did have a cat eating all our cats food. We set the flap to in only, and when we heard it arrive one evening, it couldn't escape; got into a right flummox bashing it's head on the cat flap!!! We let it out and it never came back...problem solved!
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. We are going to keep her in overnight and look into one of those catflaps. Not found out who it belongs to yet. We are off this week so i'll lay down a few easily-reached projectiles to launch at it if it deems to invade her territory again
  • When I saw the title, I thought it was going to about the problem pets we've had. I was going to mention the Cocker Spaniel I had who'd rip your face off if you looked at him wrong. But I won't.
  • I thought that too.

I have a beagle. He's a c***!
  • edited October 2018
    It's not worth having a dog if you can't dress him up in clothes and put a hat on him.