Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What stands have you sat / stood in at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Old Valley: Covered End, Main Stand, East Terrace & Jimmy Seed. New Valley: North Lower, North Upper, East, West Lower, West Upper, NE Corner, NW Corner. Best view - West Upper, Best atmosphere- North Upper, Spiritual home - North Lower D block
  • Options

Police control box and TV gantry but not during games.

East stand box and directors box during games.

East stand half way line 3l4 way back when terrace and right at back now seats still the best. Will be straight back there when Roland goes.

Can you describe the directors box Henry. Is it all armchairs and waiter service?

• Options
    I've stood in the Covered End, East Terrace, South Terrace, bit between the old West Stand and the Covered End and bit between the West Stand and the South Terrace.

I've sat in the old West Stand, the seats on the old South Terrace (before it was called the Jimmy Seed Stand), the Jimmy Seed Stand, North Upper, North Lower (season ticket) temporary West Stand, West Stand lower, West Stand upper.

I stood in the Police control box once (up until kick off). And peered through gaps in back of the Covered End on 5th December, 1992, right up to seven minutes past three.
  • Options
    Used to wander all round the ground when first started going in the mid-1960s, generally to the end we were attacking. Liked a sideways view of the penalty area, but also the tribal togetherness of the Covered End. "Give me a Cee-ee-ee-ee" "Cee-ee-ee-ee!"

Never sat in the stand in those days. In modern times I have sampled East and West stands for cup games - gives an interesting new perspective - and my seat is fairly central in the Lower North. I enjoy watching waves of attacks head-on - even from the opposition - and goalmouth action at close quarters.
  • Options

Used to wander all round the ground when first started going in the mid-1960s, generally to the end we were attacking. Liked a sideways view of the penalty area, but also the tribal togetherness of the Covered End. "Give me a Cee-ee-ee-ee" "Cee-ee-ee-ee!"

Never sat in the stand in those days. In modern times I have sampled East and West stands for cup games - gives an interesting new perspective - and my seat is fairly central in the Lower North. I enjoy watching waves of attacks head-on - even from the opposition - and goalmouth action at close quarters.

Great post. And you have the perfect username for it.
  • Options
    Left the covered end after ten years ( (other than missing the 16/17 season in its entirety) - moved back to the east this year - spent the ten before that in the front row of the east; hated every second of pretending to be entertained by Harvey and Floyd
  • Options
    Grew up in the West Stand as a kid, the Covered End was only one tier back then so the atmosphere seemed to carry into other parts of the ground. Sat in the East for a pre-season friendly against Hearts (this is the one and only time I've missed a goal due to having a slash).

Moved to the Upper North for the Prem relegation season. Did one game in the Upper West when a load of us had our tickets confiscated after a few run ins with Palace on Floyd Road and will never go there again. It was like a morgue even with a 2-0 win over the stripey twunts.

Got a cheap ST in the North Lower this season but will make a move to the Upper for any playoff/cup games.

Only stand I've never been in is the Jimmy Seed, which I would personally love to split home/away again and get some atmosphere going - it just seems to have great acoustics.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    All stands with the new valley.

South stand, first game Charlton vs Leicster
    West: Hatlepool (cup) forest(league) Brentford(power cut)
    West upper, Manchester city
    Nwc - season ticket 2006
    North upper - 2008-2016 season ticket
    North lower - vs blackburn, sheff united
    Family stand, Birmingham
    East stand, Portsmouth and pre season vs the dutch team
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I've stood in the Covered End, East Terrace, South Terrace, bit between the old West Stand and the Covered End and bit between the West Stand and the South Terrace.

I've sat in the old West Stand, the seats on the old South Terrace (before it was called the Jimmy Seed Stand), the Jimmy Seed Stand, North Upper, North Lower (season ticket) temporary West Stand, West Stand lower, West Stand upper.

I stood in the Police control box once (up until kick off). And peered through gaps in back of the Covered End on 5th December, 1992, right up to seven minutes past three.

I've stood in the police control box as well, but after a match. When my son had invaded the pitch and dropped his phone - we had to go and grovel to security to get it back.
  • Options
    I have sat in West Upper and Lower, East, North Upper and Lower, Jimmy Seed, Family, NWQ and the disabled bays by the dugout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been in all of them. However, my real claim to fame is that when the east side was that massive bank of steps, I spent a whole season moving back two steps each game. Rather like Charlton's hopes that season, my view gradually faded.
  • Options
    First game, stood in Covered End. If we were kicking the wrong way in the first half we'd walk round the ground to the other end for second. Mostly we stood on the East Terrace. Stoke game stood in the little section between Covered End and West Stand. Not sure I ever sat in the old West Stand. First game back at the Valley sat in Covered End, then in Jimmy Seed stand, then East, North West and now West.
  • Options
    I've been everywhere. Used to try different stands (except the away end, of course) for cup games. It never felt right though, as I've sat (when I do go now) in the East Stand for 19 years.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

When I first started going as a kid, stood behind the goal opposite the Covered End, pre-Jimmy Seed Stand, moved to the huge terraced banks on the East for a while, then on to my spiritual home in the old Covered End. Occasionally went in the West Stand when it was infiltrated by groups of visiting fans and we wanted to say ‘hello’.

Since we returned to the Valley, I have sat in the East Stand.

Similar but....opposite the Covered end with my Dad and brother. Then bunk in with Sherrington schoolmates (inc Daniel Day Lewis) stand anywhere, bunk out if boring, go to the deer park with 5 park drive and cough our hearts up. Return after half time when the gates opened. When a bit older, front of Covered end working our way back with each season. Then really making it by getting the nod on the rightside by not getting run at somewhere like Cardiff or Pompey.

North upper now with my boy.
  • Options
    Old Valley - East terrace and Grand Stand (West stand)

New Valley - Covered End (92-94), East Stand 94 onwards with the odd cup game in the West Stand
  • Options
    all of them .. and all the terraces and the old 'cricket stand' before the resurrection
  • Options
    I've sat in a few places across the East (obviously), but my usual seat is at the north end.
    I've been in the NW quadrant for a cup game, the NU for a couple of league games and the JS for the Hartlepool game when we were confirmed Champions.

I've only got the NL, NE and West Upper and Lowers to tick off now :smile:
  • Options

Old Valley - East terrace and Grand Stand (West stand)

New Valley - Covered End (92-94), East Stand 94 onwards with the odd cup game in the West Stand

I've probably been in more different sections of the old Upton Park than The Valley. Standing on the North Bank, sitting in both tiers of the West stand, and standing on the South Bank when we were the away team!
  • Options
    Old Valley: perched on top of a crash barrier on the East Terrace (which got a bit hairy when we scored and Dad let go for a few seconds), and on the far left hand side of the Covered End.

New Valley: In the (temporary) West Stand to begin with, then over to the East once that was built. Once in the away end, sitting on my hands - never doing that again. Never been in the upper tiers or quadrants.
  • Options
    From 1957 onwards there’s not an inch of the spectators viewing areas of The Valley that I’ve not been in............and some.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Police control box and TV gantry but not during games.

East stand box and directors box during games.

East stand half way line 3l4 way back when terrace and right at back now seats still the best. Will be straight back there when Roland goes.

Can you describe the directors box Henry. Is it all armchairs and waiter service?

Bowls of cocaine and prostitutes to walk up your spine at half time.
  • Options
    All four both standing and sitting except standing in the Jimmy Seed
  • Options
    Started in the Jimmy Seed for the Portsmouth game. Then a few games in the East stand, but we didn't like it for some reason, so spent a lot of time in the West Stand golf seats in the years after.

Moved to the North (F-Block) for the PL years. Went upstairs to the North Upper with dad for a while after that. After he passed, I couldn't sit in the same areas so North West to sit with a mate or West Lower to sit with two girls who I somehow made friends with.

Moved to West Upper recently when I took my new girlfriend - figured I'd need to entice her to come back so spent £62 on tickets. Not sure that can ever be justified at L1 level though.
  • Options
    All 4 of the current ones, sat in the jimmy seed for a game against Stevenage I think
  • Options
    So is golfie the only regular not to have sat in the covered end at some point .....
    Tonight’s the night when he samples the rip roaring cauldron of atmosphere and wall of noise from the most feared stand in football , enjoy !!
  • Options
    East terrace front railings as a nipper.
    East terrace 20 yards up when a bit bigger.
    Covered End from about age 13.
    Used to occasionally go down the away end back in the day. I remember being down there early 80's when we beat Barnsley 5-2 ? from 0-2 down ?, when Ron Futcher got sent off.
    East Stand & West Stand for cup games, but I hate the sterile boring, no one says anything and never sing atmosphere.
  • Options
    All of them and in all of their re-incarnations since 1964.

Have been on all 4 sides of the Old Den but only the away end at the New Den.

Been on all four sides at Selhurst and that was before we ground shared with them.
  • Options
    Is there a prize for the dullest topic on here and if so why haven't I won it yet?
  • Options
    razil said:

Is there a prize for the dullest topic on here and if so why haven't I won it yet?

Exiled_Addick is still making his mind up as he’s evidently in charge of judging 2018 entries.