Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thamesmead Town

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great shame.
    I absolutely hate the way the game has changed financially.
    That's why my love of the professional game has dwindled so much.
  • Options

Great shame.
    I absolutely hate the way the game has changed financially.
    That's why my love of the professional game has dwindled so much.

I get that totally, but I also don’t think in cases like this you can blame the professional game. The principals of sustainability and living within your means count even more at amateur/ grass roots level.

The real shame is allowing clubs to be split from their traditional grounds. It only ever goes one way eventually once that happens.
  • Options
    It's a shame for Thamesmead Town, but it's not like non-league clubs collapsing (at all levels) is a new thing. One of the above posts mentioned Slade Green's ground, but how long have they been gone? If anything I think it is a lot harder at this level for teams in and around London, as there are so many other things competing for the casual fan.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder if Peabody have an ulterior motive for freeing up the land, allegedly.
  • Options
    So Roland can sell the Valley for housing and move Charlton into Bayliss Avenue. 6,000 capacity should be enough and he can always boot out home fans if there is a large away following.
  • Options
    Such a shame. I refereed them a lot of times during their Spartan League days. Very friendly club.
  • Options
    Running a club, even at a low level, is very expensive. Renting your ground needs big pockets plus running a budget to even stay in those leagues is heavy going. We have been lucky at Erith Town, that we have had great loyal sponsors and a lunatic Chairman.

• Options
    Makes me wonder if E&B may be interested from making the move from PVR.
    Would make good sense in my opinion.
    If they could strike a deal with Peabody.
    Cannot see their tenure at PVR lasting forever, and with Goldburg plans for Welling (either spin the pitch 90 degrees or move to a new stadium at Hall Place), being firmly on the table, they could go for a decent compo deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Anyone play for them?

I did a pre season with them early 90s as a teenager, played a pre season friendly against Margate, Herne Bay, someone like that. Got threatened, fouled and elbowed all game by a psycho left back twice my age who eventually punched me in face on the sly at a corner. I decided there and then that Saturday’s were more fun going to the pub and Charlton with my mates. Started playing Sunday pub level instead.

Never particularly liked playing at Bayliss Ave as a youngster. Pitch seemed to be huge and bumpy and always seemed to be windy.

Very sad to see then go though, they have a strong history in local football.

Played against them many times for VCD, Phoenix and Dartford.

Growing up with Phoenix, TT were our main rivals, lots of cross over mates from school, had some great battles.
    Played sunday kid football against Thamesmead and regularly Phoenix for Rivercray and Orpington. Played v thamesmead when about 14. I remember all the TT being grown men in physical appearance whilst I was still hoping to sprout a hair on my twig legs. Also recall a rumour they'd been suspended one season before after a fan stabbed another apparently. Didn't enjoy those games.

Re Phoenix @ValleyGary I had a classmate at Orpington college who played for them (long blonde curtains and a right lump...GD are his initials and big Millwall fan when they were shit and we were good in late 90s) wonder if you know him.

Also remember phoenix having a right bruiser of a centre mid...short and squat and used to wear a blue knee band...use to smash into people and won many a game for phoenix.

On the wider note having had insight into Greenwich Borough for a few seasons recently I find it mind blowing how clubs at this level can even function as a going concern with the costs of just opening up and putting a team out each week.

Very sad to see and expect many more will follow which is a disgrace with the amounts of cash sloshing about the premier league gravy train as alluded to earlier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @falconwood_1 @RodneyCharltonTrotta or anyone else have an inkling.

What sort of playing budget would a club like Thamesmead been running on a week, or over a season? And what would all the other non-player costs (rent, equipment etc) likely run to?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

What sort of playing budget would a club like Thamesmead been running on a week, or over a season? And what would all the other non-player costs (rent, equipment etc) likely run to?

Eastbourne Borough need a crowd of 900 a week to be sustainable in conference south without any other income during a season. I believe there budget is 7k a week.
  • Options
    Played for them 00-03 Was a great club. Sad news
  • Options

Impossible to tell to be honest unless you’re in their league and know the players etc. Renting the ground would be anywhere between £10-15k a season I reckon.
  • Options
    Football chiefs at the Bostik League, where Thamesmead play, have stepped in at the last minute to try and find buyers for the 49-year-old club.

Bostik League chairman Nick Robinson said: “The League is doing everything we can to assist the club and any potential buyers in a hope that the club can be saved.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/last-ditch-effort-to-save-thamesmead-town-football-club-after-club-chairman-withdraws-financial-support/
  • Options
    clive said:

Football chiefs at the Bostik League, where Thamesmead play, have stepped in at the last minute to try and find buyers for the 49-year-old club.

Bostik League chairman Nick Robinson said: “The League is doing everything we can to assist the club and any potential buyers in a hope that the club can be saved.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/last-ditch-effort-to-save-thamesmead-town-football-club-after-club-chairman-withdraws-financial-support/

EFL take note at how to be a helpful / useful governing body rather than just going through motions