Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Espana v Inglaterra

Comments

• Options
    a team to be proud of, as above taking the youth tournaments seriously, picking players that deserve to be there as opposed to just playing for certain clubs, the game time at pl clubs is never going to be sorted as the money machine keeps rolling on - but i think we are a decent team atm and should not fear anyone, they gave us a great summer and last nights win was fantastic.
  • Options
    What a difference 3 days makes. That Croatia game was slow, ponderous and clumsy. Last night was quick, flowing and clinical. No fear from these young kids and without doubt Southgate installs a belief in them whilst telling them exactly what he expects from them. Class management.

Spain’s high line definitely suited us and counter attacking football is what we are good at. We just need to learn to break lesser teams down and finish them off. Once we do that we will be a very very good side.
  • Options
    I don't understand how anyone can criticise anything from last night (or this team in general at the moment).

I enjoyed every moment of it. We had a game plan to smash them in the first half and it worked a charm. We then defended very well in the second half, as a team, and despite the predictable onslaught from a very strong Spain team - at home - we reduced them to few chances, and most of those came about from going out wide (something Spain hate doing) because they couldn't skip through the middle.

That said, I don't think Sterling has proved anybody wrong. I'm so glad to see him smash one in like he's playing for Pep, and I hope it's a sign of things to come (and I am glad Southgate had the vision to stick with him last night), but it's mad to pretend he shouldn't have been criticised for failing to put away a hundred good chances over three years.

• Options

Sterling was quality in the world cup, was a great foil for kane and attracted defenders to him which opened up space for lingard. If he would've scored a couple of goals we would be saying what an amazing world cup he had. I remember posting on here that i'm convinced he's the one that made us tick, each time he was taken off for rashford i felt like we had lost that cutting edge some how.

His finish for his first was utterly sublime, must've been incredibly satisfying.

Certainly had a better World Cup than Rashford in my opiniom
  • Options
    The last time i felt the same about an england team, that they were coming out of generations of underachievement, was the mid noughties with the england cricket team, a team full of young lads who had grown up playing cricket together, who weren't necessarily the best in domestic cricket but had the right attributes to win games against some of the greatest sides to play the game. World domination followed a few years after...
  • Options
    If you're going to break your duck, it doesn't get much better than against Spain, away

Sterling looks much more comfortable in his club position as a wide striker in this 4-3-3 formation, indeed there are other players who could play that role as most top PL clubs seem to play 4-3-3. The lack of cover for Kane is the worry, the hold up play he did for our second goal was brilliant
  • Options
    Didn't someone say Southgate be gone by Xmas? Hmmmm.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you're going to break your duck, it doesn't get much better than against Spain, away

Sterling looks much more comfortable in his club position as a wide striker in this 4-3-3 formation, indeed there are other players who could play that role as most top PL clubs seem to play 4-3-3. The lack of cover for Kane is the worry, the hold up play he did for our second goal was brilliant

In all honesty I am not sure we even HAVE another number 9 in the PL.

Tammy Abraham maybe? After that.....
  • Options

Spurs don't have much decent cover either
  • Options

Glenn Murray is probably the closest player England have got to a hold up type Striker, either that or Troy Deeney
  • Options

Didn't someone say Southgate be gone by Xmas? Hmmmm.......

"Conspicuous by [their] silence"... :wink:
  • Options
    Trust it to be the one I chose not to watch...

Unlucky me, will watch back tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Woken up this morning and ‘the boys in Betis’ is still going around my head.

It should have been 3-2 and down to 10 men with half an hour to go. But instead it’s ‘the boys in betis’.

This is why we will never win anything.

We’re like Tottenham. ‘We put the pressure on’.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

It should have been 3-2 and down to 10 men with half an hour to go. But instead it’s ‘the boys in betis’.

I refer you to my earlier post... :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2018

dizzee said:

How was it a bloody penalty??? - Sky showed a few angles last night, yes all showed Pickford pulling back Rodrigo yet a few mins later showed Rodrigo getting in front of Pickford was because he pulled him back first!!... You could hear the hesitation in Tyler and Smith's voices as they saw the last replay because ended any argument.

Not to mention that lovely word "SHOULD" again!!... Charlton should have been 4-0 down at Highbury inside 15mins when we won 4-2 but we werent... Roland's dad should have worn protection that night but he bloody didnt (and no he wasnt at Highbury)!!
    I didn't see Pickford's challenge as a penalty at all as you have said. Sterling getting a boot on the foot moments before Spain got their first was a stonewall penalty however.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dizzee said:

How was it a bloody penalty??? - Sky showed a few angles last night, yes all showed Pickford pulling back Rodrigo yet a few mins later showed Rodrigo getting in front of Pickford was because he pulled him back first!!... You could hear the hesitation in Tyler and Smith's voices as they saw the last replay because ended any argument.

Not to mention that lovely word "SHOULD" again!!... Charlton should have been 4-0 down at Highbury inside 15mins when we won 4-2 but we werent... Roland's dad should have worn protection that night but he bloody didnt (and no he wasnt at Highbury)!!
    Even Rolys Dad would agree with you on that one.
  • Options

Abraham is on loan at Villa in the Championship.

Just thinking of English strikers, I can only think of Murray and Troy Deeney who play could play a similar target man role. Calvert-Lewin maybe, but he's not a prolific scorer. Ashley Barnes?
  • Options

Just thinking of English strikers, I can only think of Murray and Troy Deeney who play could play a similar target man role. Calvert-Lewin maybe, but he's not a prolific scorer. Ashley Barnes?
    Callum Wilson?
  • Options

Callum Wilson?
    I'd see him as more of a replacement for Jamie Vardy

Bloody fast and can sit on the shoulder of the last defender
  • Options

declared himself for austria.
  • Options

declared himself for austria.
    Has he? - I know he's eligible as he played for the U20's a few years ago but other than a Sky Sports article in March which says he would need to get an Austrian Passport I cant see anything that says he's decided on playing for them over England
  • Options

dizzee said:

Nobody I've spoken too in person is using the phrase 'Boys in Betis'. Literally, nobody. You're the only person using it lol.

Incredibly impressive first half performance, executed to perfection. Yet you think we are lucky?

Is Betis even an actual place?

Anyway, I for one am proud of the Sons of Seville.
  • Options
    WSS said:

dizzee said:

Nobody I've spoken too in person is using the phrase 'Boys in Betis'. Literally, nobody. You're the only person using it lol.

Incredibly impressive first half performance, executed to perfection. Yet you think we are lucky?

Home of Real Betis
  • Options

WSS said:

dizzee said:

Home of Real Betis
    Yes, but is Betis an actual geographical location?

Like Port Vale or Celtic or Rangers.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    WSS said:

dizzee said:

Well their Football team like to claim its a real place...