Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Espana v Inglaterra

Comments

• Great result but so nearly blew it through crap defending. If we could get a couple of decent defenders from somewhere we could be a very good team.

We should build a defence around Gomez and tell the keeper to stop fucking about.

• Great win - looking forward to going into work tomorrow now!

Same as!! Gotta keep these guys properly worried about us. Hey all three texms in our group could now finish top. Thanks to us.
  • That's a brilliant result for us and I never saw that coming in a month of Sundays but this is a Spain side who lost to Russia in the World Cup not the better side of previous tournaments
  • That's a brilliant result for us and I never saw that coming in a month of Sundays but this is a Spain side who lost to Russia in the World Cup not the better side of previous tournaments

Spain under Luis Enrique are a different side to the one that played in the world cup. However Isco missing was a big plus point tonight for us, a lot of their play goes through him.
  • Gomez has to play on the right of the three.

Never, ever Walker - shocking defending for the Ramos goal.

Brilliant from the boys though. Great performance.

That's at least three goals Walker has been responsible for when playing in a three - he's trying to learn on the job at international level and is getting found out when the ball is crossed mainly through a lack of anticipation.

We used to grow central defenders on trees and yet are now trying to convert a full back to play in that position. Hopefully, Stones will be available next time we play this system.
  • I thought we had a chance. Firstly England have attributes you have to respect and I thought Spain would be less likely to respect them at home - secondly, one of those attributes is pace. Spain are not the best defensive team. You have to let them play where they can't hurt you and close them down where they can. When you get the ball you have to break with strength, pace and purpose which England did in the first half. I think you saw in the minutes leading up to the third goal, a team just not being able to cope!

England should have had a penalty to make it 4-0, but moments later it was 3-1. Thought we stopped threatening at that point and it is something Southgate has to work on. But great result and credit to all.

No its not only 5 players that started against Russia started today and 3 off those were back 5
  • Sponsored links:

• I like Southgate as our manager, speaks well too.
  • Scunthorpe 5 Charlton 3

If you score three goals away from home then you deserve to win.

Anyone claiming otherwise is a complete twat.

Scunthorpe 5 Charlton 3

I'm a twat!
    Great minds oohaah
  • Macronate said:

I like Southgate as our manager, speaks well too.

Just has to learn that when opponents change tactically, we have to as well for me. Cost us a world cup final place and could have cost us victory tonight.
  • Going to win it all now - isn't that how it works in the media?

A game of 2 halves performances wise - excellent attacking display 1st half and we had to battled hard to just hold on - as expected Spain were always going to come back at us.

Shades of how Liverpool played last season.
    Go out, blitz the team in the first half, get 3/4 goals up and invite them to try and break you down 2nd half, with the danger of pace on the break if they push to high.
    Won’t always work but it will more often than not.
  • Mourinho ought to watch and learn from that interview from Enriquez - no trying to deflect the blame for the defeat onto the ref.
  • Well played England!

Totally deserved that, and with a touch more composure would/could have scored a couple more in the first half.

Spain were always going to come back strong in the second half, and though they should have had a penalty, on the whole we defended pretty well.

Liking the look of Chilwell at left back, would be surprised if him and Maguire are at Leicester next season.

Agree with AFKA on Dele Alli - we look a far better team without him and Lingaard in it.
  • Really strong squad beginning to develop now, with real competition for places, and plenty of good young players coming through the age-groups.

What I like most is that young players are beginning to realise that they need to play games to get their career moving, and if that means dropping down from the likes of City or Chelsea, then that is a price worth paying.

Full Backs

Walker/Trippier/A-Arnold
    Chilwell/Shaw/Rose

Centre Backs

Stones/Maguire/Gomez/Dier/Trachsowski

Centre Midfield

Henderson/Winks/Barkley/Ali/Foden/Mount/Chalobah/Maddison/Lingaard/Loftus Cheek

Forwards

Kane/Sancho/Sterling/Rashford
  • Sponsored links:

• You have hit the nail very firmly on the head my friend!

There can never be a bunch of fans more down on their own team, more than some England ‘fans’.

During the WC, we beat Tunisia (with North African teams being full of crafty well drilled French league players), and all we hear is “it’s only Tunisia!”, then we hammer Panama “It’s only Panama!”. Then we overcome a very tricky Colombia side, in what was basically an away game, and all we get is more moaning that “We never score from open play!”.

Then we beat Sweden, and all we get is more moaning that ‘it was only Sweden”, which conveniently overlooks the fact that our record against Sweden is generally poor, and this was the same Swedish side that had knocked out the Italians in the Play Offs (that’s the same Italians that have won the World Cup FOUR times).

I remain convinced that some English fans would only be happy, if we won the WC by emerging through a group containing Holland, Italy and Germany, beat Uruguay in the last sixteen, Argentina in the last eight, France in the Semi’s and then hammered Brazil in the Final, whilst ensuring that we enjoyed over 90% possession and never let them have a shot on our goal.

It is only when you live abroad, as you and I obviously do, that you realise just how deluded and arrogant some England fans are in their opinions.

Expectations are ridiculously high, I have even seen some people complaining about the 2nd half performance!! It defies belief that some people think that we would be able to go out in the 2nd half and knock in another two or three goals at will against Spain! That is not how it works, and for those that need convincing that is the FIRST time ever, that Spain have conceded three goals in a home competitive match – you could see how shell-shocked they all were.

I for one am really excited about this group, there are no super-stars or Bertie big bollocks, just some really focussed and talented young players, who actually seem to enjoy playing for their country, rather than trying to make the whole thing about themselves and their personal ‘brand’.

Don’t think I’ve ever agreed with a post more than this. Spot on.
  • Watched the highlights this morning without knowing the score. What a result!

So happy Raheem Sterling has stuck two fingers up to his doubters. The way he smashed that first goal was a giantly satisfying f--- you.

I'm also glad Kane stuck two fingers up at me, who has been calling him a haggered donkey who needs to make way for someone else. Brilliant centre forward play.

We're by no means the finished article but it feels like we're building something. Which I've never experienced as an England fan. And with players like Foden and Sancho still to reach any level if maturity, I'm letting myself feel excited.

We have been unlucky as well. Had we done better with clear chances we could be top of the group.
  • Excellent result - the future looks bright. We have a team not a bunch of disjointed individuals.
  • Dizzee must be Scottish.
  • One of the best England goals i can ever remember us scoring. Watch it with no sound though!!

Watch it without the sound to enjoy the build up and goal, then watch it with the sound if you want a laugh. What a twat.

There can never be a bunch of fans more down on their own team, more than some England ‘fans’.

During the WC, we beat Tunisia (with North African teams being full of crafty well drilled French league players), and all we hear is “it’s only Tunisia!”, then we hammer Panama “It’s only Panama!”. Then we overcome a very tricky Colombia side, in what was basically an away game, and all we get is more moaning that “We never score from open play!”.

Then we beat Sweden, and all we get is more moaning that ‘it was only Sweden”, which conveniently overlooks the fact that our record against Sweden is generally poor, and this was the same Swedish side that had knocked out the Italians in the Play Offs (that’s the same Italians that have won the World Cup FOUR times).

I remain convinced that some English fans would only be happy, if we won the WC by emerging through a group containing Holland, Italy and Germany, beat Uruguay in the last sixteen, Argentina in the last eight, France in the Semi’s and then hammered Brazil in the Final, whilst ensuring that we enjoyed over 90% possession and never let them have a shot on our goal.

It is only when you live abroad, as you and I obviously do, that you realise just how deluded and arrogant some England fans are in their opinions.

Expectations are ridiculously high, I have even seen some people complaining about the 2nd half performance!! It defies belief that some people think that we would be able to go out in the 2nd half and knock in another two or three goals at will against Spain! That is not how it works, and for those that need convincing that is the FIRST time ever, that Spain have conceded three goals in a home competitive match – you could see how shell-shocked they all were.

I for one am really excited about this group, there are no super-stars or Bertie big bollocks, just some really focussed and talented young players, who actually seem to enjoy playing for their country, rather than trying to make the whole thing about themselves and their personal ‘brand’.

Agree with some of this and not other parts. That an England team can go to Spain and win is an incredible achievement which deserves praise, but I would say it wasn't a complete performance and I hope and to be honest, expect that Southgate sees that. I think, and expect, this England team to get better and they are not far off winning a trophy with a bit of luck (that most teams need). But arrogantly going overboard will make that less, not more likely.
  • What a result, we rode our luck at times but we deserved the three points. When we play with that pace and energy we can give anyone a decent match. After a shaky first 5 minutes we took the game to Spain. Dier should have been knighted for his tackle instead of being booked. I can’t think of anyone who had a poor performance, considering how young and inexperienced a lot of them are.

I thought we would struggle without Stones or Henderson last night who are probably our most imports players, apart from Harry Kane.

However we, deserved to be 3-0 up, and Spain couldn’t handle us. In the second half we tidied and allow them back into the match. However, we never caved in and we defended amazingly.

MOTM had to be Joe Gomez. He stood up and showed why he could become one of the best defenders in Europe.

A fine result for Southgate to keep the World Cup motmentum alive.

I always live in hope that the type of fan you mention will slowly stop bothering me but I don't see it happening.

Even if we did win the World Cup via that route you say people will still moan that we didn't deserve it because Brazil played more fancy Football or we only won because Neymar had a poor World Cup and that had we faced Johan Cryuff's Holland / Beckenbauer's Germany etc. then we wouldn't have stood a chance etc.

Have to admit out of the whole World Cup its the Panama game that annoys me the most ... Prior to the World Cup everyone said we'd struggle and that Panama would be another Costa Rica or Algeria where we'd once again fail to beat them - Instead it was the complete opposite and this was an England team actually battering an opposition in every possible way whereas previously we could have played American Samoa and only gotten a 1-0 win