Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• edited October 2018

Broadstairs is great, as it Whitstable.

Sennen Cove beach in Cornwall is as good as it gets in my opinion.

mate had a place in Porthleven, near Helston and we've stayed there a few times...fantastic little fishing harbour and town with half a dozen pubs and loads of places to eat, would recommend it to anyone as a great place to base yourselves down that way.

Went to a friends wedding there and then returned the following year. Lovely place!
  • Visited Folkestone few weekends back, on a lovely Sunny day, for the first time in years and thought it had really improved. Place was buzzing with pop up bars, eateries and live music. Was very impressed.

Also liked Ramsgatefor similar reasons a few years back.
  • I think we are blessed in Kent, we've got some glorious beaches Jos Bay, Minnis Bay, Westgate are some of my favourites

Margate is nice too, the old town has some good pubs and is kept fairly clear of shitheads
  • edited October 2018

Local: Broadstiars
    Favourite: Lyme Regis

This would be my two choices.

My god do i love England. My dad was a black cabbie so the last thing he wanted to do on a day off / holiday was drive round the country (and my folks don’t like beaches), so I’ve only really discovered our English coastline in recent years since I’ve had kids.

I’ve completely fallen in love with Broadstairs. I can’t fault it, I love being there in the town and on Viking Bay. To me it’s nigh on perfect.

Although ive only stopped there once, I really don’t get Whitstable. No idea why you’d favour going there when you’ve Broadstairs so close. What am missing here?

Dymchurch has also been a real favourite over the last 8 years and it’s perfect if you’ve got young ones as the rides are geared at toddlers. Nothing beats eating fish and chips out the paper on the beach. Hastings hasn’t got the sand but it’s still an excellent little seaside town imo.

Further afield, The Dorset coast is wonderful and you are very much spoilt down that way having so much choice. Lyme Regis is pretty much perfect but town wise I think Poole is a great base.

Really liked Woolacombe and Ilfracombe as coastal towns in North Devon, and similarly loved Torquay in the South. It’s just such a long drive though with kids. Would love to do Cornwall but can’t face yet another couple of hours drive.

On the Norfolk coast I’ve only done Yarmouth, and as discussed previously on here, I don’t know why people put it down I think it’s great for families.

Surprised no one has mentioned Brighton, given the numbers it attracts.

Quite a few places on here I’ve never heard of (Southworld etc) so a few places to look up. Thanks for all the offerings
  • Think our countryside and coast is wonderful but I only see it for days out or short breaks. The U.K. is not cheap to either stay or to find things to do. That’s why for me it’s always an easy choice to go abroad. As cheap as staying here in most cases and pretty much guaranteed weather when it’s just so easy to be a pool or beach bum for both adults and kids. If this country had Mediterranean weather it would be fabulous but then if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle.
  • Shout out for Leysdown where I feared that my car would not be there when I got back from a work visit.
  • Steephill cove iow
  • Whitstable is good for going on the piss, it's become full of the weekend brigade down from London. The sunset looks great down there too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love Fowey.
  • Having grown up in Dorset I’ve been spoilt for choice my whole life. Although I would say most the seaside towns round here are great to visit - not neccassarliy to live in though as we get sick of you grockles getting in our way :wink:

Jokes aside, there’s so many to visit here that it’s a great place for an English holiday. If I was pushed to choose my favourite beach it would have to be Studland or Swanage, there’s nothing like a sandy bay.
  • Tomorrow or Wednesday we have as a seaside day. We're going to Broadstairs. But it's a cycle so not long there before we turn round and head back to Plumstead.
    Broadstairs is up there for me. Lovely place.
  • Think our countryside and coast is wonderful but I only see it for days out or short breaks. The U.K. is not cheap to either stay or to find things to do. That’s why for me it’s always an easy choice to go abroad. As cheap as staying here in most cases and pretty much guaranteed weather when it’s just so easy to be a pool or beach bum for both adults and kids. If this country had Mediterranean weather it would be fabulous but then if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle.

Disagree
    Just come back today from pevensey bay from a long weekend away.
    Asked how much today to Friday would be for for the gold plus caravan would be sleeps 6 £135 with a discount.
  • Another one for Broadstairs. Trouble is with England - you've always got the weather to deal with which takes the lustre off a bit. In my opinion anyway.
  • Carter said:

Not a seaside town but Matlock in Derbyshire is mental. A river town and a Mecca for bikers on a Sunday

Living in Lincs,matlock bath is a cracking ride out,although land locked,it has a strange feel of a seaside town.
  • School hols price is ?
  • clb74 said:

Think our countryside and coast is wonderful but I only see it for days out or short breaks. The U.K. is not cheap to either stay or to find things to do. That’s why for me it’s always an easy choice to go abroad. As cheap as staying here in most cases and pretty much guaranteed weather when it’s just so easy to be a pool or beach bum for both adults and kids. If this country had Mediterranean weather it would be fabulous but then if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle.

Disagree
    Asked how much today to Friday would be for for the gold plus caravan would be sleeps 6 £135 with a discount.
    That’s pretty reasonable but you could book a caravan in this country and sit staring out the window at the pissing rain. On the whole it’s not really a cheap option staying in this country imho.

• Anyone been to Mousehole? That's a little gem on the Cornish coast.
    Lots of other great places mentioned.
    Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast is nice from memory.
  • Sponsored links:

• thecat said:

Not really a town but the beach at Saunton Sands North Devon is one of the best anywhere

Another shout out for Saunton - with the Burrows behind, amazing.
  • Another mention for Sandgate and Westgate (st Mildred’s bay)
    Greatstone next to Camber Sands was also very pleasant
  • Brighton's my favourite, but the OP asked for undiscovered gems.
  • Reculver

Reculver

And for me.

Will add Minnis Bay to Reculver, and the walk along the sea wall in between.

• Winchelsea beach,I love counting the stones, I was up to 8,999,100 on my last visit
  • clb74 said:

Think our countryside and coast is wonderful but I only see it for days out or short breaks. The U.K. is not cheap to either stay or to find things to do. That’s why for me it’s always an easy choice to go abroad. As cheap as staying here in most cases and pretty much guaranteed weather when it’s just so easy to be a pool or beach bum for both adults and kids. If this country had Mediterranean weather it would be fabulous but then if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle.

Disagree
    That’s pretty reasonable but you could book a caravan in this country and sit staring out the window at the pissing rain. On the whole it’s not really a cheap option staying in this country imho.

And the water is so cold.
  • We like Paignton

Good beach, got a pier, seafront pubs with kids play areas, beachfront play areas.
    Close to Torquay, a zoo nearby and lots of holiday park accommodation in the vicinity too.
  • Has to be the Northumberland coast. Seahouses, Low Newton by the Sea (with a pub almost on the beach).....
  • West wittering