Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• Options

addick05 said:

Always loved Hastings ever since I was a kid. My best friend moved down to Bridport in Dorset some 7 years' ago so try and get down at least twice a year. Lovely place, good pubs and GREAT beer, brewed in the town.

Went there for a football tournament and thought it was a bit of a dump.
    Come down to the Old Town Mutts.
    We had a walk along the coast area - shops looked tired. Was a couple of nice pubs to be fair. A few tramps, a druggie. A few of our players were asked if the wanted a fight by some idiots, they politely declined.
    Sounds like a average day for Hastings, lived there for 30 years lovely place but the locals are a bit odd

blame it on the battle
  • Options
    Blackpool Sands DEVON not oop North
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Whitstable is shite! No beaches, no pubs, no class. It's the last place i'd go in the south east. Herne Bay, Broadstairs, Margate and Ramsgate all offer a world more.

On another note. The West Indies or the Western Isles?

• Options

Goring By Sea - Not really a town, but next to Worthing. This is at the bottom of my road - Love it here.

Looks comfy.
    Not really but smells and sounds great,
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Whitstable is shite! No beaches, no pubs, no class. It's the last place i'd go in the south east. Herne Bay, Broadstairs, Margate and Ramsgate all offer a world more.

Was at Whitstable on Saturday - plenty of beaches, pubs and lots of nice places to eat. Maybe I was in a different place?
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Was at Whitstable on Saturday - plenty of beaches, pubs and lots of nice places to eat. Maybe I was in a different place?
    If you like a stoney beach, a shite beer and over priced food. You must have been in heaven.....
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I didn't mention the Western Isles because it said 'England'. Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree - some of the best beaches in the world. Here's Kiloran Beach, Colonsay - stunning.

• Options

addick05 said:

Always loved Hastings ever since I was a kid. My best friend moved down to Bridport in Dorset some 7 years' ago so try and get down at least twice a year. Lovely place, good pubs and GREAT beer, brewed in the town.

Went there for a football tournament and thought it was a bit of a dump.
    Come down to the Old Town Mutts.
    We had a walk along the coast area - shops looked tired. Was a couple of nice pubs to be fair. A few tramps, a druggie. A few of our players were asked if the wanted a fight by some idiots, they politely declined.
    Sounds like a average day for Hastings, lived there for 30 years lovely place but the locals are a bit odd
    Some certainly are though we haven't had any grief to be honest in the 8 years we have been down here, but there certainly are some 'types' hanging around the town centre.
  • Options

Macronate said:

Margate as a kid, not so great now.

Another vote for Whitstable.

Also, Westgate, lovely beach, only a couple of cafes and not much else which is perfect when all you want to do is relax.

margate is on the up tbh, bit too far out to be like brighton, but certainly has got a growing hipster element to it these days.
    Only recently discovered the old town, so much different to the seafront.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    bobmunro said:

PopIcon said:

I didn't mention the Western Isles because it said 'England'. Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree - some of the best beaches in the world. Here's Kiloran Beach, Colonsay - stunning.

And you can sit on them for at least two days every single year.

Ps. Whitstable is a nice place. Some good pubs, good eats and you don’t need a sandy beach for somewhere to be nice.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Deal

No Deal.

Someone had to do it.
    Banker
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Off_it said:

...nah not really.

Nothing wrong with Bournemouth mate. We normally holiday in the UK and I've probably been to most of the places on this thread - certainly the ones down south - and as bigger seaside towns go it takes some beating.
    Yeah, I'm just joshing really. It's got it's problems like any town of its size (soon to be city I reckon) but I love it down here. 1 min from my front door and I'm on a blue flag beach...what's not to like!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

If you like a stoney beach, a shite beer and over priced food. You must have been in heaven.....
    Sorry Grandad I thought you were asleep.
  • Options

So many great resorts in England, it’s very difficult to pick a favourite.

Whitley Bay, Robin Hood Bay, Blackpool and Scarborough up north. Plenty of great places on our doorstep in Kent too. As a kid, we spent many happy holidays in Dymchurch and still love going down there.

Of all the places we’ve taken our daughter abroad, we asked her recently where she’d like to go for her summer holiday and she told us Dymchurch.

Dymchurch has the most amazing beach and apart from a couple of shops not much else. Ideal for a day out with kids and easy place to park - my kids loved it when rhey were little.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Southwold.

I reeeeeally want to go there. Tim Hunkin's Novelty Automation project (which everyone should visit - it's in Holborn) has its own pier there, and there are so many wildlife reserves nearby
    Tim Hunkin is an absolute genius. Some of the games on that pier are pierless. The Fly where you have to land on as much food as possible without being swatted. Crossing the a motorway with a Zimmer frame. Crankenstein, walking the dog and bathyscope. If anyone deserves a knighthood, he does.
  • Options

Superb beach at Whitley Bay but that's all its got going for it!

Not 'all', nearby Monkseaton metro station is home to one of the best pubs in the world.
  • Options
    How fast will this global warming malarkey take to kick in ? Dymchurch could be a good investment once the palm trees start growing.
  • Options

How fast will this global warming malarkey take to kick in ? Dymchurch could be a good investment once the palm trees start growing.

Won't be long.
  • Options
    Poppit Sands near Cardigan deserves a mention.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Poppit Sands near Cardigan deserves a mention.

I suppose so does Camber Sands...
  • Options
    My grandkids love Dymchurch.
    I love spending time around Christchurch area
  • Options

Won't be long.
    I’ll leave a note for my great great grandchildren
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Spanish City has reopened apparantely
    It has and it's a big disappointment
  • Options
    Robin Hood’s Bay for a touch of class.
  • Options

Whitley Bay, Robin Hood Bay, Blackpool and Scarborough up north. Plenty of great places on our doorstep in Kent too. As a kid, we spent many happy holidays in Dymchurch and still love going down there.

Of all the places we’ve taken our daughter abroad, we asked her recently where she’d like to go for her summer holiday and she told us Dymchurch.

Dymchurch has the most amazing beach and apart from a couple of shops not much else. Ideal for a day out with kids and easy place to park - my kids loved it when rhey were little.
    Has a bit more about it now. Few nice little cafes/restaurants, it’s more set up for kids though.
  • Options

Has a bit more about it now. Few nice little cafes/restaurants, it’s more set up for kids though.
    I used to like the fact it was so basic - had a couple of places to eat, a few shops, parking and miles of sand. Many happy memories...

Will have to visit to see what's changed....
  • Options
    Stig said:

Not 'all', nearby Monkseaton metro station is home to one of the best pubs in the world.
    I live in Monkseaton and the problem with 'left luggage room' is that it's full of geordies
  • Options

Off_it said:

...nah not really.

Nothing wrong with Bournemouth mate. We normally holiday in the UK and I've probably been to most of the places on this thread - certainly the ones down south - and as bigger seaside towns go it takes some beating.
    Yeah, I'm just joshing really. It's got it's problems like any town of its size (soon to be city I reckon) but I love it down here. 1 min from my front door and I'm on a blue flag beach...what's not to like!
    I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else, although that is probably a different thing.
  • Options

Got some great childhood memories of Dymy.
    My brother and his wife live down that way, my sister and hers live in Eastbourne and me and mine live in Bournemouth.
    Its a long time since SE7 felt like heaven. CAFC excepted of course.
    My 87 year Mum still lives in SE London though. She wouldn't be anywhere else, bless her.