Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• In Swalecliffe for the week, walks along the coast to Whitstable and Herne Bay are lovely. Good point on Westgate too, the new(ish) place on the seafront is smashing.
  • Superb beach at Whitley Bay but that's all its got going for it!
  • Ravenglass for peace and quiet.
  • Redrobo said:

I always find the Norfolk coast a bit on the windy side. It might just be the time of year I have been there but it always seemed to be blowing.

Can't be doing with that.

East wind with nothing to stop it blowing in from the Russian winterlands of Siberia. If you have never understood ‘wind chill’, pop down the beach in January with an East Wind blowing.

Exactly, I don't do "windy" so its a no from me.
  • Cromer in Norfolk. Wonderful little seaside town that has a great beach , lovely pier and some decent little pubs . The crabbing is good fun too.
    Not chavy like Yarmouth , Clacton , Southend etc..

I was pleasantly surprised by Great Yarmouth, much nicer than I was expecting, when compared to many other fading seaside resorts
    I went to Skegness for a day last summer and was pleasantly surprised with that town too.
  • edited October 2018
    Torquay and Newquay for me.

You can even fly to Newquay in about 45 mins from Gatwick and if you've only got hand luggage you can be off the plane and out of the airport within 5 minutes flying internally. Some amazing views from the plane too if you get a window seat on the left of the plane on a clear day you see the entire south coast from about Chichester onwards.
  • addick05 said:

Always loved Hastings ever since I was a kid. My best friend moved down to Bridport in Dorset some 7 years' ago so try and get down at least twice a year. Lovely place, good pubs and GREAT beer, brewed in the town.

Went there for a football tournament and thought it was a bit of a dump.
  • Superb beach at Whitley Bay but that's all its got going for it!

Spanish City has reopened apparantely
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a seaside town but Matlock in Derbyshire is mental. A river town and a Mecca for bikers on a Sunday
  • Another vote for Broadstairs with its seven bays (Botany, Kingsgate, Joss, Stone, Viking, Louisa and Dumpton Gap).

Often used to take the kids to Joss Bay when they were young ... (and I was younger). Went to Botany Bay last year with grandchildren in tow (Oh dear). Highly recommended by Charles Dickens too, its where he wrote David Copperfield.
  • St Agnes in Cornwall , lots of great memories! Every new year's eve for years until we stopped going as I got older
  • edited October 2018

I would second Looe and Southwold. Looe is really scenic, with the river running through it

I'm very lucky. I live there...but currently on hols in Sardinia.

I still manage to be grumpy.
  • bobmunro said:

I've heard @bobmunro has a holiday home which is next door to Harry Redknapp's mansion at Sandbanks - I'm sure he won't anyone popping down to enjoy the views from his back garden.

I was getting worried about global warming so I sold it and buying a place at Canford Cliffs - much safer!

Just a little bolt hole you understand. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67613401.html
    Looks ok but I couldn’t see a cinema or panic room which are must haves now so it’s a no from me.

• imageRobin Hoods Bay gets my vote too. Camped there a few months back. Great views. The landy is an acquired taste of course.
  • addick05 said:

Always loved Hastings ever since I was a kid. My best friend moved down to Bridport in Dorset some 7 years' ago so try and get down at least twice a year. Lovely place, good pubs and GREAT beer, brewed in the town.

Come down to the Old Town Mutts.
  • Chizz said:

Deal

No Deal.

Someone had to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018

addick05 said:

We had a walk along the coast area - shops looked tired. Was a couple of nice pubs to be fair. A few tramps, a druggie. A few of our players were asked if the wanted a fight by some idiots, they politely declined.
  • Well I have lived in the Bournemouth/Poole area for over 30 years now, so I guess I should say Bournemouth.
    As a kid in the 50's and 60's my favourites were Clacton, Hastings and best of all Sandown, Isle of Wight.
    These days I would opt for Porthcurno or Crantock in Cornwall or, when I've saved a few readies, a secluded beach on Tresco in the Isles of Scilly
  • Grange-over-(quick)Sands. Annual haven for us but love Whitstable... one place that has actually improved over the last 40 years
  • Goring By Sea - Not really a town, but next to Worthing. This is at the bottom of my road - Love it here.
  • Goring By Sea - Not really a town, but next to Worthing. This is at the bottom of my road - Love it here.

Looks comfy.
  • addick05 said:

We had a walk along the coast area - shops looked tired. Was a couple of nice pubs to be fair. A few tramps, a druggie. A few of our players were asked if the wanted a fight by some idiots, they politely declined.
    Did you actually go to the Old Town though....I know what your saying with regards to the town centre....it's a tad dire....in places.
  • Well I have lived in the Bournemouth/Poole area for over 30 years now, so I guess I should say Bournemouth.
    As a kid in the 50's and 60's my favourites were Clacton, Hastings and best of all Sandown, Isle of Wight.
    These days I would opt for Porthcurno or Crantock in Cornwall or, when I've saved a few readies, a secluded beach on Tresco in the Isles of Scilly

I quite like Boscombe. The Harvesters by the peer is dog friendly!
  • ...nah not really.

Nothing wrong with Bournemouth mate. We normally holiday in the UK and I've probably been to most of the places on this thread - certainly the ones down south - and as bigger seaside towns go it takes some beating.
  • loads of them .. from Morecambe (edge of the lakes) across to Tynemouth, Roker, Scarborough, Mablethorpe, Skegness, Wells, Sheringham, Cromer, Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Southwold and that's only the north and east
  • addick05 said:

Sounds like a average day for Hastings, lived there for 30 years lovely place but the locals are a bit odd