Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

xmas markets

mulled wine, overpriced sausage, potatoes on sticks, german beer.

always tried to go into europe for one for the past few years.

anyone heading to any? looking for recomendations have left it late but now have a free weekend to go.

have done, dortmund ( and took in a game ), prague, strasbourg.

Comments

• Went to Vienna for the Christmas markets last year.

Thoroughly recommend. Markets were brilliant - one even had an ice rink - and the city itself spectacular with lots to see and do.

Well worth thinking about.

Thoroughly recommend. Markets were brilliant - one even had an ice rink - and the city itself spectacular with lots to see and do.

are the prices eye wateringly expensive? my only experience of vienna was the airport and after spending a couple of days in slovakia 19 euros for a beer and a sandwich was a bit of a shock.
  • Have done Arras last couple of years, going to try Brussels this year.

are the prices eye wateringly expensive? my only experience of vienna was the airport and after spending a couple of days in slovakia 19 euros for a beer and a sandwich was a bit of a shock.
    Vienna is a lot more expensive than CZ or Slovakia, but cheaper than London, that's for sure. Especially the superb public transport, and hotels are relatively reasonably priced too.

I have also heard Stuttgart is a better deal than Nurnberg. And Berlin is just a great city all round, was there three weekends back.

• Have done Arras last couple of years, going to try Brussels this year.

spent a few days in arras whilst at the euros worth checking out?.
  • I would say the Market is a decent size, has an ice rink and ice slide and a big wheel. Very picturesque but like most Christmas markets, one night is enough. Other things to see in and around though so you can make a nice break. Last year we got a hotel in Senlis, spent one day in Disneyland, then drove to Arras for a night then did a xmas shop in Auchan before driving home.

As Prague says, it's not cheap but if you are used to London prices - as we are - you won't find it that expensive. I certainly wasn't walking around thinking blimey hope the wife doesn't want another coffee and cake!

Where ever you decide to go, look on the BA website for combined hotel /flight deals. The price we paid for our break was not much more than booking a flight by itself and we stayed in a really nice hotel right in the centre of the city.
  • Thanks chaps
  • Cologne is good and you can travel easily by train to Dusseldorf. Aachen, Bonn, Wuppertal that also have markets. I am off to Munich for business in December and she who must be obeyed is coming too, and they also have good Xmas markets.

Most German town's and cities do.
  • Cologne is good and you can travel easily by train to Dusseldorf. Aachen, Bonn, Wuppertal that also have markets. I am off to Munich for business in December and she who must be obeyed is coming too, and they also have good Xmas markets. T

I went to the Cologne markets a few years ago (before they had the trouble there one new years eve.)

Markets were OK but the city itself is not that much, not least because we flattened a lot of it in the war and let's just say it has not been rebuilt attractively.

• Sponsored links:

• We are off to Bruges in December to take on their Christmas market. We are staying for three nights and from the research I have done, eating out seems mega expensive.
  • Stuttgart was very good but I find anywhere in Germany is pretty much selling the same thing. We went to Ludwigsburg 2 years running (not for markets but went around them) and the stalls were in exactly the same order both years selling identical things as the year before
  • Did Lille a few years ago. It was fun.
  • Went to the one in Frankfurt a few years ago, which was good.
  • Did Lille a few years ago. It was fun. </blockquote

I'm going to Lille this year, anything you can recommend? Will be me, the missus and our 2yr old son.

Thanks

• We are off to Bruges in December to take on their Christmas market. We are staying for three nights and from the research I have done, eating out seems mega expensive.

Did Brugge last year... Only stayed the one night as took advantage of the £20 EuroTunnel each way

Certainly wouldnt feel the need to be there for longer than one or two nights (Unless you plan to go further afield) yet is a beautiful City to experience the Markets... Would be going again this year but for the fact that my Wife's passport has expired and the fact we've yet to get a passport for the little one
  • Cologne is good and you can travel easily by train to Dusseldorf. Aachen, Bonn, Wuppertal that also have markets. I am off to Munich for business in December and she who must be obeyed is coming too, and they also have good Xmas markets. T

I went to the Cologne markets a few years ago (before they had the trouble there one new years eve.)

Markets were OK but the city itself is not that much, not least because we flattened a lot of it in the war and let's just say it has not been rebuilt attractively.

We have an office near there and I love the place....

• Froggy66 said:

Stuttgart was very good but I find anywhere in Germany is pretty much selling the same thing. We went to Ludwigsburg 2 years running (not for markets but went around them) and the stalls were in exactly the same order both years selling identical things as the year before

If anyone is going to Stuttgart this year for the markets, its worth taking a train to Heidelberg takes about 45 mins and its beautiful...
  • Rothenberg au der Tauber just outside Nuremberg is unbelievable. It’s a real fairytale town. It’s where they filmed the village scenes for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. There is actually a Christmas Shop there all year which in itself is unbelievable. Worth the extra effort in my opinion. You can always double up and visit the massive Christmas market in Nuremberg as well.

+1 for Bruges, we have been a couple of times for the Christmas Markets and it never disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Me and the wife really enjoyed Edinbrugh a few years ago.
  • did Bury St Edmunds last year
    doing Winchester this year

exotic eh !
  • did Bury St Edmunds last year
    doing Winchester this year

exotic eh !

Compared to Chatham and Woolwich, it is Large.
  • Btw I would never suggest the Prague Christmas market as a main reason to visit the city. Pale imitator of German and Austrian markets.
  • Btw I would never suggest the Prague Christmas market as a main reason to visit the city. Pale imitator of German and Austrian markets.

went last year and thought it was v good, the misleading prices are a pain as do not know the correct name of it but was a ham, cabbage and potatoe mix which was priced at x amount not saying that that was for 100g and they dish you up a huge portion.
  • Did the Brussels one as a day trip a few years ago after the HS1 line full opened, as found cheap midweek Eurostar tickets. A nice day out, though the market was nothing that memorable
  • Went to Strasbourg Christmas market a couple of years ago, superb.

went last year and thought it was v good, the misleading prices are a pain as do not know the correct name of it but was a ham, cabbage and potatoe mix which was priced at x amount not saying that that was for 100g and they dish you up a huge portion.
    Exactly and most Praguers would say "that's why we don't bother with the centre of Prague any more"

It's OK, I just wouldn't make it the main reason to visit, or place where you spend money. I usually have one "svarak" (mulled wine) to gaze up at the Square by night with, which is certainly a sight; but that's it, and svarak is everywhere.
  • Did Basel a few years ago. Was fun but very compact. Don't need more than a couple.of days there to see most of the city sights as well.
  • Christmas.

Ffs.

Bah.