Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamal Kashoggi

Comments

• Options
    The Consul-General's got a lot to answer for. Wonder if he'll have a mysterious accident soon?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

The Consul-General's got a lot to answer for. Wonder if he'll have a mysterious accident soon?
    I'm not sure how they expected to get away with this with nobody noticing - arrogance or stupidity? The onus seems now to be on Western governments to come up with an excuse for them.
  • Options
    Love these Trump quotes:

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Mr Trump said: "They had a very bad original concept, it was carried out poorly and the cover-up was the worst in the history of cover-ups."

"Whoever thought of that idea, I think is in big trouble. And they should be in big trouble."

Completely right of course, can't disagree... That's exactly the level of vocabulary I use when telling off my children. I can see how his speeches connect with a certain strata of support
  • Options
    SA is such a closed country I should imagine this sort of thing happens quite regularly and no questions are ever asked. Those responsible just didn’t realise what a different place the real world is.

Rizzo said:

I'm not sure how they expected to get away with this with nobody noticing - arrogance or stupidity? The onus seems now to be on Western governments to come up with an excuse for them.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Mr Trump said: "They had a very bad original concept, it was carried out poorly and the cover-up was the worst in the history of cover-ups."

"Whoever thought of that idea, I think is in big trouble. And they should be in big trouble."

Completely right of course, can't disagree... That's exactly the level of vocabulary I use when telling off my children. I can see how his speeches connect with a certain strata of support

He really has a way with words.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

So he's not calling them out for killing a journalist, who is also an American citizen, just for doing such a shitty job of it.

Unbelievable.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

So he's not calling them out for killing a journalist, who is also an American citizen, just for doing such a shitty job of it.

Unbelievable.
    Nothing is unbelievable in what he says. Maybe he could advise them how he would have killed a journalist.

• Options

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    Nothing is unbelievable in what he says. Maybe he could advise them how he would have killed a journalist.

Have them suicided like the Clinton's used to do?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.

It would have been the best killing, the greatest killing. So good!
    I don't doubt it and his supporters would probably have a chant for it. Trump doesn't have much time for journalists who he sees as the 'enemy' and I'm sure a lot of his supporters don't see the need for a free press.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's hard not to be cynical about all of this. I bet in years to come we find out that Erdogan and Trump (probably others too) exhorted billions out of the crown prince over this murder. Every break in the case is driving up the price to eventually make it go away/get blamed on someone else.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    Small correction: he wasn't an American citizen. Had he been so, I assume he wouldn't have been required to travel to Istanbul to sign documents there, he could have done so in the US.
  • Options
    They are probably worried they will find a few more in there!
  • Options

They are probably worried they will find a few more in there!

Sadly there's a chance that's true..
  • Options
    At what point will the red tops (and I'm particularly looking at you, Daily Star) delve into Kashoggi's family background and conclude that he isn't the first member of his family to have been killed in mysterious circumstances on the order of a member of a foreign royal family?

Kashoggi's first cousin was Dodi Al Fayed.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

At what point will the red tops (and I'm particularly looking at you, Daily Star) delve into Kashoggi's family background and conclude that he isn't the first member of his family to have been killed in mysterious circumstances on the order of a member of a foreign royal family?

Kashoggi's first cousin was Dodi Al Fayed.

Probably a coincidence...
  • Options
    Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    Small correction: he wasn't an American citizen. Had he been so, I assume he wouldn't have been required to travel to Istanbul to sign documents there, he could have done so in the US.
    Resident, not citizen, my mistake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Considering they obviously planned this well in advance and sent a team of 15 men to Turkey to carry it out, surely they could have come up with a better place to dispose of the body. They 'hid' it in literally the first place the Turkish police would search!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Interesting photo on the front of today's 'Times' .. Salah Khashoggi, the son of Jamal is shaking hands with Crown Prince MBS .. every picture tells a story.. the son's expression and eye contact looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights, the Prince is looking at him with a subtle smile/smirk which seems to say 'gotcha bunny boy'.

The name Khashoggi rang a bell with me .. a one time notorious multi billionaire arms dealer, the late Adnan Khashoggi was Jamal's uncle. Adnan was of Turkish, Arabic and Jewish origin .. his wiki entry is very interesting. His family has marital ties to the Al Fayeds one time owners of Fulham FC and Harrods. Dodi Al Fayed died in the same crash as Princess Diana (see above re @Chizz)
    ... Interesting connections, for example another link, guess who Adnan sold his super-yacht to ??? .. yes ..

Trump D, a k a 'the donald'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Khashoggi
  • Options
    Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    I heard an interview whereby Khashoggi could have gone to the US embassy to get his documents sorted but Trump insisted that they get done at the embassy he was killed at.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    I heard an interview whereby Khashoggi could have gone to the US embassy to get his documents sorted but Trump insisted that they get done at the embassy he was killed at.
    I read something similar, but it wasn't a great source, so I semi ignored it.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    You'll be suggesting Trump had knowledge of the Saudi plan next!
  • Options

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

Love these Trump quotes:

Unbelievable.
    You'll be suggesting Trump had knowledge of the Saudi plan next!
    Nobody would believe Trump has knowledge (of anything)!

• Options
    What a joke.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The overriding feeling for me is if you upset the status quo, by questions and probed into the inner workings of goverments; whether democracies, absolute monarchies or tyrannical one party states, plus upseting mafia types who leech on to the body of rule, you will end up being silenced.

Journos and whistle blowers are in as much danger now as ever because of the vast rewards on offer for arms deals, government contracts etc.

In Malta, Daphne Galizia car was blown up after her blog got too near the mark.

In Bulgaria, Victoria Marinova was raped and murdered after reporting on big business misusing EC funds.

100 of these stories from all round the world.

Jamal Kashoggi is just the latest story of a Journalist being killed. The difference is so many countries are embroiled in this murder because of their relationship to Saudi Arabia. Do they just bury their heads in the sand ?

Russians who upset Putin have been dying for years in England, only when British people were involved did public opinion force the hand of the British Government.

Sad times.