Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamal Kashoggi

Comments

• Options
    Chaz Hill said:

WSS said:

Q&A with Pompeo after his meetings with Saudi officials:

Q: Did they say if Khashoggi is alive or dead?

Pompeo: “I don’t want to talk about any of the facts; they didn’t want to, either"

Q: Did you tell the Saudis of repercussions if they are found responsible for harming Khashoggi?

Pompeo: “We talked about the importance of completing the investigation.”

Q: What if it finds the Saudis were involved?

Pompeo: “We talked about the importance of the investigation."

Pompeo: "They promised accountability for each of those persons that they determined as a result of their investigation deserves accountability.”

Q: Even if it’s a member of the royal family?

Pompeo: “They made no exceptions to whom they would hold accountable."

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic. Can we all please keep it that way?
    anti semite!

;)
  • Options
    Is this the Corbyn or Kashoggi thread?
  • Options
    At some point i'm sure the Saudi's will have to finally acknowledge his death and they'll offer up some lame excuse.
  • Options

At some point i'm sure the Saudi's will have to finally acknowledge his death and they'll offer up some lame excuse.

Possibly 'rogue killers' - Trump seems happy with this explanation. They appeared out of nowhere...
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Dunno, all the Corbyn ones got locked and sunk. Read into that what you will.
  • Options

Dunno, all the Corbyn ones got locked and sunk. Read into that what you will.
    I think Momentum were involved....
  • Options
    For what it’s worth Israel (Jewish state) and Saudi (fundamentalist Islamic state) have formed a most unlikely alliance thanks to a shared common enemy in the shape of Iran.....

....almost gives you hope that there may be a path to peace in the region.

• Options

Really don’t understand why this would turn into a Corbyn / Israel thread. Please stick to topic or future off topic posts will be removed

“Do not criticise corbyn” - CL admins

Loud and clear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Really don’t understand why this would turn into a Corbyn / Israel thread. Please stick to topic or future off topic posts will be removed

Maybe because the thread about Corbyn was closed/sunk.

In any case Corbyn's support for middle Eastern dictators and terrorists is relevant to this topic.
  • Options
    I wonder how involved Tony Blair is in all this... after his £9million deal to 'advise the Saudi government'.
  • Options

I wonder how involved Tony Blair is in all this... after his £9million deal to 'advise the Saudi government'.

Careful, not allowed to mention Labour leaders on this thread : - )
  • Options

If there's a dodgy government out there I'm sure Tony will be happy to help them.
  • Options

they like taking money from totalitarian regimes, labour leaders.
  • Options
    https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/exclusive-khashoggi-829291552

As he started to dismember the body, Tubaigy put on earphones and listened to music. He advised other members of the squad to do the same.

“When I do this job, I listen to music. You should do [that] too,” Tubaigy was recorded as saying, the source told MEE.

😱
  • Options

If there's a dodgy government out there I'm sure Tony will be happy to help them.
    Kashoggi was a former advisor to the Saudi government....... watch your back Tony
  • Options

Saudi journo missing presumed dead.

A senior police source told online news website Middle East Eye the journalist had been "brutally murdered, killed and cut into pieces".
    "Everything was videotaped to prove the mission had been accomplished and the tape was taken out of the country," they said.

A friend of Mr Khashoggi, Galip Dalay, told Sky News that he "personally got the news that he was killed two days ago".

Saudi authorities however have rejected the allegations as "baseless" and said a team of investigators had been sent to the Turkish city to help look into the case.

He went into the consulate, but there is no footage of him leaving. Not sure how the Saudi's think they can get away with this.

First of all RIP. For that sentiment appears somewhat conspicuous in its absence when one skims the thread. Having returned from a funeral earlier this week one is reminded about life... and death.

Secondly, whilst there have been state sponsored killings forever this one appears particularly nasty and something one might imagine appearing on Netflix rather than real life. The Trump response is pure Trump! Read between the lines and it simply confirms initial leaks from Turkey.

And finally, this random act of violence appears to have had some impact on the wider debate about Saudi Arabia and its relationship with both the US and UK. One might expand but that could be to detract from a genuine RIP message at the top of this post.
  • Options

Saudi journo missing presumed dead.

A senior police source told online news website Middle East Eye the journalist had been "brutally murdered, killed and cut into pieces".
    "Everything was videotaped to prove the mission had been accomplished and the tape was taken out of the country," they said.

A friend of Mr Khashoggi, Galip Dalay, told Sky News that he "personally got the news that he was killed two days ago".

Saudi authorities however have rejected the allegations as "baseless" and said a team of investigators had been sent to the Turkish city to help look into the case.

He went into the consulate, but there is no footage of him leaving. Not sure how the Saudi's think they can get away with this.

First of all RIP. For that sentiment appears somewhat conspicuous in its absence when one skims the thread. Having returned from a funeral earlier this week one is reminded about life... and death.

Secondly, whilst there have been state sponsored killings forever this one appears particularly nasty and something one might imagine appearing on Netflix rather than real life. The Trump response is pure Trump! Read between the lines and it simply confirms initial leaks from Turkey.

And finally, this random act of violence appears to have had some impact on the wider debate about Saudi Arabia and its relationship with both the US and UK. One might expand but that could be to detract from a genuine RIP message at the top of this post.
    An awful way to die and a frightening example of the abuse of power.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    The attitude of the Saudis towards freedom of the press, democracy and criticism of the government doesn't apear to be a problem for a number of Western leaders. Maybe it's just jealousy that they can openly wipe out their enemies.

• Options
    This whole story is mad... Will make a good film
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It seems sensible to give the Saudis a chance to explain themselves, but not to allow the crime to be lost over time. A couple of weeks is reasonable to collect the facts her I suspect. We can drop out of the odd summit, but if we are selling arms to this country, when we know what we are doing with those arms outside of this case in Yemen, we have to look at ourselves.

Funny how one of the people calling us to stop doing it is being criticised more than the Saudis by the usual suspects. You couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    If they didn't buy them from us, then they'd just buy them from someone else.

If jobs and all the economic positives from developing, manufacturing and selling arms outweighs the morals of doing it in the first place, you really can't be choosy (within reason) as to who your customers are.

I'd probably draw the line if they wanted 'support single sex marriage' painted on every missile.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I think you can - otherwise you have to let these countries do as they please. The Saudis have admitted responsibility for the deaths of Yememi children. We don't even know if they did it with weapons we sold them or not! In the Russian poisoning, we managed to get on our high horse with the people advocating taking greater action against Russia than our government have done despite their strong words and threats.

I love all these righteous standards and when you scratch the surface there are no standards at all. It is all mixed up! And a little bit evil! Fuck any British jobs that result in killing Children. I accidently saw the images btw and what I saw can't be unseen!
  • Options
    You realise that the Saudis are supporting the government of Yemen against rebels backed by Iran. And we know who backs and takes money from Iran, don't we.

It's a proxy war for the Iranians and Saudis, neither of whom are governments I'd want to deal with.

Does that justify or excuse the killing or the arms sales? Not for me but let's not pretend that the dear leader must not be named has clean hands in this either.

Believe it or not real politics isn't the same as student politics. In the real world jobs for British workers matter, it's not nice but that is the real world where politicians have to make tough choices and sometimes hold their noses.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    For me it isn't. Lets keep jobs by staying in the EU and lose jobs that support evil regimes like Saudi Arabia. Don't tell me about the real world, it makes you look arrogant! We clearly disagree but you are not always right, as I admit I am not.