Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liberal Club closing? Edit.......confirmed, closing tonight (Sunday)

Comments

• Options
    The floor in The Victoria was unbelievable. A slope that made you feel pissed before you had a drink. I really hope the development does save the outside of the pub. Once they’re gone they’re gone.
  • Options
    I have been in there on a handful of occasions. I would tend to go to other places because of the couple of bouncer type blokes on the door of the Liberal club. It was (probably absolutely wrongly) sort of alienating, as if the Liberal Club was doing you a favour rather than wanting your custom.
  • Options

Someone please save it

Gonna miss you Dave.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I have been in there on a handful of occasions. I would tend to go to other places because of the couple of bouncer type blokes on the door of the Liberal club. It was (probably absolutely wrongly) sort of alienating, as if the Liberal Club was doing you a favour rather than wanting your custom.

Think they just wanted to keep out undesirable types.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Used to go in the old club every matchday. Paid a visit when the place reopened. Hated it.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

seth plum said:

Used to go in the old club every matchday. Paid a visit when the place reopened. Hated it.
    Lots did the same, guess the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    Gutted - some great nights spent in there. Wasn’t the same after the refurb. Went once and hated it. Only went again when I couldn’t be arsed to walk up the Village after a game.
  • Options

All of the match day pubs aren’t as busy I go to the swan and it used to be packed by 1 nowadays empty as can get served straight away

You can’t have been in there before the Cov game then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This article is from From The Murky Depths, and concerns the Victoria. Below the article there are five comments, the last of which is well worthy of attention.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/08/23/plans-for-housing-at-victoria-pub-site-in-charlton/

Always check on matchdays to see if it is still standing. To my eye its listing badly to the stern.
  • Options
    Drank in there for years before moving to the cons club during the refurb, always preferred the cons, but sad to see both go
  • Options
    se9addick said:

All of the match day pubs aren’t as busy I go to the swan and it used to be packed by 1 nowadays empty as can get served straight away

You can’t have been in there before the Cov game then!
    was pre wycombe and you could get served straight away, i dont go down charlton as much as i used to but the swan is my choice followed by the oak, bugle i find quite annoying.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

This article is from From The Murky Depths, and concerns the Victoria. Below the article there are five comments, the last of which is well worthy of attention.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/08/23/plans-for-housing-at-victoria-pub-site-in-charlton/

Part of Alistair's comments about the Victoria ..
    "the pub was built nie 1905 The same year as The routes of the Addicks were born, and playing under theirn first Team name The East Street Boys,,as it was called before Eastnor St.It was wiped off the map, The Lufthwaffe decimated it and around 30 or 40 lost their lives in the terraced houses,built for lightermen and river workers and dockers.All Commercial buildings now.Charlton used it to keep, their goal posts and kits and changed there for matches when they played on their first pitch,Siemmans Fields,which is where the old school stands and just passed towards Woolwich,they moved around a year later to Pound Park where the junior school is. Then they used the Oak but the Guvnor would not house the goal posts they had to be walked from the Vic.,so there Guv was a true Addick,ashe wasnt put out by them using the Oak, it has a genuine history sadly i had a full witness account of that dereadful night.An old boy Tom who was WRP, on duty that night, he was in the pub when it was hit ,2 died at the rear of the pub,. mostly all the patrons, were in the celler.it was the safest place, better than the garden shelters they had so there were a lot of resident hopefully imn the boozerf. Tom said it was busy. i think between 30, 35, died near their houses so in passing and you hear an old Blues man playin and singin that old delta dirge, spare a thought for an old Boozer that was the heart and soul of a community."...
  • Options
    Such a shame, as many had plenty of good times in the place
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

So in the space of the last few months, that's the White Horse, The Antigallican and the Lib club all gone in the vicinity of the ground. Sad times for the pub trade in the area.

And the Pickwick. But all those places served only horrible fizzy beer. The new fans' place of refreshment is the River Ale House - proper beers, cider and perry - just a ten minute stomp from the ground. The estimable guvnor, Trevor, is a Charlton fan and goes to the games.

• Options
    I think the White Horse has gone too.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

So in the space of the last few months, that's the White Horse, The Antigallican and the Lib club all gone in the vicinity of the ground. Sad times for the pub trade in the area.

And the Pickwick. But all those places served only horrible fizzy beer. The new fans' place of refreshment is the River Ale House - proper beers, cider and perry - just a ten minute stomp from the ground. The estimable guvnor, Trevor, is a Charlton fan and goes to the games.

Ten minute stomp if your a bird. If you're walking that's easy 20 mins.
  • Options
    As others have said, after the refurb it was clear that closure was going to be the only outcome. The person or people who designed the new layout and chose the décor and furniture had clearly never been in a successful pub/club before. It was soulless even on match day - couldn't imagine a "normal" mid week night in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me the place was perfect, big bar, lots of staff rarely, had to queue for ages, decent quality beer, cheap, and the layout was perfect. Big, simple and open.

In fact it would be the sort of place I'd inhabit if I lived in Charlton.

Problem is we've had the perfect shitstorm of the team being in perpetual decline for over a decade, throw into that all of us who are boycotting and the massive pressures any pub has to contend with, let alone one that relies on Saturday trade that has been all but killed by some horrible old twunt intent on killing our club.

Me and my mates always would use the lib pre-makeover before and after games and on several occasions during games too!

After the revamp it was a pain in the arse of a layout however it was our place and we would have happily used it still but for boycotting.

Was it Man City's old ground where there was nowhere to drink nearby and everyone was hanging around with bags of beer? That's going to be the valley soon
  • Options
    In Roland's eyes, this is surely just one fewer competitor for alcohol sales inside The Valley.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

It's Kevin and Perry, not Trevor and Perry.
  • Options
    Carter said:

For me the place was perfect, big bar, lots of staff rarely, had to queue for ages, decent quality beer, cheap, and the layout was perfect. Big, simple and open.

In fact it would be the sort of place I'd inhabit if I lived in Charlton.

Problem is we've had the perfect shitstorm of the team being in perpetual decline for over a decade, throw into that all of us who are boycotting and the massive pressures any pub has to contend with, let alone one that relies on Saturday trade that has been all but killed by some horrible old twunt intent on killing our club.

Me and my mates always would use the lib pre-makeover before and after games and on several occasions during games too!

After the revamp it was a pain in the arse of a layout however it was our place and we would have happily used it still but for boycotting.

Was it Man City's old ground where there was nowhere to drink nearby and everyone was hanging around with bags of beer? That's going to be the valley soon

west hams new ground i also believe is lacking drinking venues.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

If I had a decent pub that could draw a decent crowd, say 20, then laying on cheap transport, may prove prudent.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Nice place, but small and a distance from the ground (20 minutes and not a pleasant walk either along the Woolwich road)
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Nice place, but small and a distance from the ground (20 minutes and not a pleasant walk either along the Woolwich road)
    Exactly, it's probably more than 20 mins, I was being generous.
    It is also a horrible walk along the polluted Woolwich Road.
    However, I recommend more of our fans go there, so I don't have to queue at my favoured establishments :smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2018

shirty5 said:

If I had a decent pub that could draw a decent crowd, say 20, then laying on cheap transport, may prove prudent.
    that's a great idea
  • Options
    Waterman's Arms gone. The Victoria gone. The Con Club gone. The Lib Club gone. The Antigallican gone. Charlton Athletic Football Club gone. Thank fuck I've only got a few years left before I peg it.