Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

São Paulo

Anyone ever been?

I’m going there next weekend for a few days with work - first ever trip to South America.

I’ve been told that a couple of the districts can be very very dangerous (so much so that our company actually sees it as a violation to enter some of them). One of which is meant to be ‘Centro’ (downtown)

Any ideas for things to do out there would be welcome! Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I've been there, it's a bit dicey, lots of overt poverty. The food was decent. It's really vast... we stayed in an area called Republica which was alright.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Used to work with a woman whose boyfriend was Brazilian, from Sao Paulo. They went back there to visit his family. First day they were there, they got on a bus in a 'relatively' safe area. Ten minutes into the journey, some dude sits down opposite them, and her boyfriend reached into his pocket and gave the guy his wallet. He counted the money and got up and off at the next stop. She couldn't see it, but apparently he had a gun. Broad daylight, packed bus.

Just be careful.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, @cafctom. My daughter, who works with me, is looking to go to a conference there early next year. She'll be mainly in a hotel but I would like some idea as to whether it is safe for her.
  • Options
    My son in law was working there 18 months ago, full on gun fight outside his hotel which he filmed a bit of from the safety of his room window.

He hated the place, the food and the people.
  • Options
    Went there during the World cup. Shit hole i thought.
  • Options
    I saw an excellent Anthony Bourdain show on Sao Paulo recently. If you want some pointers (especially for restaurants) I'd recommend giving it a go (I think it was on Netflix).
  • Options
    Went there a few years ago for work, as stated the place is vast but didnt seem to have much of a focal point or touristy sights, but my visit was brief.

However, the food was fantastic if you like meat. Try a churrascaria (sp?) - as much as you can eat and it keeps on coming. You'll know it a couple of days later, mind you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Flew there on our way to the Iguazu Falls, didn't get off the plane, and after 10 days in Rio didn't fancy another huge city. However what does stick in my mind was the size of the place....as others have mentioned above it's very, very vast.