Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Budget 2018

Comments

• Options
    More money for defence.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

From April next year, the personal allowance will be £12,500 and the Higher Rate Threshold will be £50,000.

One year earlier than promised.
    Still not good enough for Corbyn and McDonald though.
    Ramsey or Old ?

• Options
    Ian Blackford of the SNP looks like he's about to explode.
  • Options

From April next year, the personal allowance will be £12,500 and the Higher Rate Threshold will be £50,000.

Ramsey or Old ?

Explain.
  • Options

Ramsey or Old ?

Explain.
    Shadow Chancellor is John McDonnell

Ramsey McDonald was the first Labour Prime Minister and Old McDonald had a farm.

• Options

Ramsey or Old ?

Explain.

Ramsey McDonald was the first Labour Prime Minister and Old McDonald had a farm.

Fair enough.
    My point still stands though despite my spelling mistake.

Old McDonald would probably agree with me if he was still alive. 😁
  • Options

Ramsey or Old ?

Explain.

Fair enough.

Spelling mistakes hey... Now getting picked up on this thread.
  • Options

Ramsey or Old ?

Explain.

Fair enough.

Eieio

Even I had to give you a lol.
    Very good.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Wasn't we told this budget would signal the end of austerity? Any signs of that?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Seems a reasonable autumn statement.

Only if there is a Brexit deal, it goes out the window, if there is a no deal Brexit.
  • Options
    I thought any increases in tax threshold was going to be postponed.
    Keeping it and moving it to the manifesto promised rate a year early is a of suprise.
  • Options

Wasn't we told this budget would signal the end of austerity? Any signs of that?

Brexit permitting!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Surprisingly there was no changes to the Pensions Annual Allowance or the Lifetime Allowance (apart from the increase in line with CPI to £1.055m). It was mooted that the AA would be cut from its current £40k level and/or the tapered amount would drop from the current £150k level.

bloody annoying......would have given me a reason to ring all my clients.
  • Options

Ramsey or Old ?

Explain.

Fair enough.

Eieio

I thought you were talking about Tony Adams
  • Options
    Take the whole budget with a pinch of salt as Hammond has zero clue about what finances will be like after Brexit.
  • Options
    A no deal Brexit would mean another budget and much of that spending spree cut or curtailed. I would actually pay good money to see that speech.
  • Options
    Any more for the police?
  • Options
    Previous experience should tell us a budget should always be assessed a few days later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Any more for the police?

Yep - £160m for counter terrorism.
  • Options

Good budget and something for everyone. Corbyn showed his true colours with his embarrassing rant and proved why labour are unelectable under his stewardship. Bravo 👏

Nothing for critically underfunded SEND and mainstream schools.

So thanks but no thanks.
  • Options

Surprisingly there was no changes to the Pensions Annual Allowance or the Lifetime Allowance (apart from the increase in line with CPI to £1.055m). It was mooted that the AA would be cut from its current £40k level and/or the tapered amount would drop from the current £150k level.

Now Austerity has ended no need :wink: - probably next year then. Can't you ring them all and advise 'fill up quick'?
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Any more for the police?

Yep - £160m for counter terrorism.
    Thanks. Some more in general would have been nice
  • Options
    He predicts growth of 1.6% next year, are they basing that on getting a deal from Brexit, a extended transition period or no deal Brexit?
  • Options
    Seemed like an ok budget. Have to keep Brexit in mind though, but having said that I'm still waiting for George Osborne's emergency budget so I'll read that first.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

According to the BBC calculator a person earning £30,000 a year with two kids is £12.92 a month better off. A person earning £500,000 a year with no kids is £21.67 a month better off.

That's just not right.

Does seem a bit odd, trying to work that calculator out.

Just assuming no kids, no petrol, no alcohol etc etc for a minute;

12.5k - 12.92
    30k - 12.92
    50k - 43.33
    75k - 43.33
    100k - 43.33
    125k - 21.67
    150k - 21.67
    500k - 21.67
    5m - 21.67

Makes sense now I think about it (if not right) with the two bands they've moved (tax free and extending 20%/reducing 40%) that the biggest winners are 40% payers up to when you lose your personal allowance.

I'd have raised the tax free allowance higher and kept the 40% band where it was. With the changes since 2010 they've run out of options to not effect the higher earners (as in 125k+) and change anything bar personal allowance.

• Options

I think that was the classic "leak some bad news that won't actually happen" tactic!