Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Budget 2018

Not far away, predictions? Thoughts? Rumours are hammond is gonna try with a NI on the self employed, specifically contractors who set themselves up as a ltd company. I hope he also goes after those that employ contractors as essentially staff as don't think it's fair when in some industries people wont work with you unless you have set yourself up as a limited company.

Comments

• whatever the outcome jc would of done a better job.
  • whatever the outcome jc would of done a better job.

jesus has been dead for about 2000 years mate. No need to get all religious either.
    Blessed are the meek, blessed are the cheesemakers …….

Not a bad start to a budget speech.
  • Not far away, predictions? Thoughts? Rumours are hammond is gonna try with a NI on the self employed, specifically contractors who set themselves up as a ltd company. I hope he also goes after those that employ contractors as essentially staff as don't think it's fair when in some industries people wont work with you unless you have set yourself up as a limited company.

Contractors get hammered every year in one way or another. It'll no doubt be IR35 changes in the private sector, which is laughable given HMRC clearly don't get it themselves given the number of cases they lose on it.

Didn't he try with NI increases for self employed last year and then quickly doubled back due to the backlash?
  • cafcpolo said:

Not far away, predictions? Thoughts? Rumours are hammond is gonna try with a NI on the self employed, specifically contractors who set themselves up as a ltd company. I hope he also goes after those that employ contractors as essentially staff as don't think it's fair when in some industries people wont work with you unless you have set yourself up as a limited company.

Contractors get hammered every year in one way or another. It'll no doubt be IR35 changes in the private sector, which is laughable given HMRC clearly don't get it themselves given the number of cases they lose on it.

Didn't he try with NI increases for self employed last year and then quickly doubled back due to the backlash?
    IR35 is a joke that seems to me that no one, including HMRC have taken very seriously at all.
  • cafcpolo said:

yes he did.
  • stonemuse said:

cafcpolo said:

yes he did.
    yup, which is why he's specifically targeted contractors now. Wage stagnation is a real problem, you can hardly blame contractors for trying to get ahead of the game if they can.
  • edited October 2018

cafcpolo said:

IR35 is a joke that seems to me that no one, including HMRC have taken very seriously at all.
    Certainly is. It's something I keep an eye on and a newsletter I'm subscribed to seems to have a new IR35 case lost by HMRC in it every week.

Changes will make companies & agencies more liable for determining inside / outside, which if they want contractors to supply the work, they'll just ignore and say outside. If they don't, no-one will want to take the work on and if they do, it'll be at a premium.
  • IR 35 to come in at 2020 but will only affect medium to large companies.. phew, I exist in the niche of being a limited company and a lot of my work comes through another small business.

But I wonder what a “medium sized” business is?
  • Sponsored links:

• From what I've heard it seems sensible

That said I'm listening to someone who is an old pro at talking and not necessarily being genuine

No more PFI contracts and whilst I may have missed it, he will be bringing things back in house when the PFIs run their course, if I have understood that right, this is good news.

Some help for his street businesses, money for local authorities dealing with abandoned waste and it sounds like he is taxing plastics that cannot be recycled.

Beer and cider duty frozen

My local will put their prices up regardless

• Wasn't we told this budget would signal the end of austerity? Any signs of that?
  • IR 35 to come in at 2020 but will only affect medium to large companies.. phew, I exist in the niche of being a limited company and a lot of my work comes through another small business.

Small up to 99 employees, medium is 100 - 999 employees.
  • Lots of toilet jokes

"Austerity is coming to an end but discipline will remain".

Scroll down to 13 for 'medium sized company.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/life-of-a-company-annual-requirements/life-of-a-company-part-1-accounts

• What was the standing ovation about?
  • Christ, this response from Corbyn is embarrassing. And believe me, I'm no lover of the Tories.
  • seth plum said:

What was the standing ovation about?

Not sure what was said but someone in the gallery shouted something that Labour agreed with.
  • Christ, this response from Corbyn is embarrassing. And believe me, I'm no lover of the Tories.

Here's normally a bit better than this at PMQs IMHO and I'm not a fan (not sure anyone on here would have noticed that).

Always hard to respond to a budget you've had very little notice off but he is all over the place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems a reasonable autumn statement.
  • LenGlover said:

IR 35 to come in at 2020 but will only affect medium to large companies.. phew, I exist in the niche of being a limited company and a lot of my work comes through another small business.

Scroll down to 13 for 'medium sized company.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/life-of-a-company-annual-requirements/life-of-a-company-part-1-accounts

Well ignore what I said then!

Won't matter anyway, can't imagine "employers" saying yeah you're in IR35 and potentially costing them workers.

Here's normally a bit better than this at PMQs IMHO and I'm not a fan (not sure anyone on here would have noticed that).

Always hard to respond to a budget you've had very little notice off but he is all over the place.
    He's just reading a prepared speech, ranting away and not taking account of anything Hammond said.

He's just reading a prepared speech, ranting away and not taking account of anything Hammond said.

Seems like it.

Hammond did promise lots of money for pot holes so I think that settles where the Charlton vote will be going.
  • I've never voted Tory and I don't like Hammond.
    But he makes Corbyn look like a school boy.
  • From April next year, the personal allowance will be £12,500 and the Higher Rate Threshold will be £50,000.

And think I read somewhere from 2021 the PA will be linked to inflation, about time. The easiest way to put money into the pockets of the lower to mid earners.
  • From April next year, the personal allowance will be £12,500 and the Higher Rate Threshold will be £50,000.

One year earlier than promised.
    Still not good enough for Corbyn and McDonald though.

That's good news.