Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christian bakery owners win appeal

Comments

• Options

i think the disagreement here, is not necessarily with the ruling per se but with the point it is simple. It isn't and the history of this case bears that out.

I agree with you that it's not simple and I'm confident there will be further cases in the years to come.
  • Options

Feel free to test out my business by ordering some controversial flyers btw.

Corbyn is an anti semite ? :smile:
  • Options

Corbyn is an anti semite ? :smile:
    I'm fairly certain that libel laws may come into effect with that particular form of words...
  • Options
    You can't eat 1,000 flyers!
  • Options
    SIDSID
    edited October 2018

If the ruling had gone the other way and I ordered a 1000 flyers off you stating that your printing company is crap; would you have to print and supply them?

Edit: not digging you out by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a good question and it is good to explore these things I think. That is how we should all try to shape our views in my opinion. If we just say - that's the law simple it is too easy. I think the balance between respecting religious freedom and equalities is incredibly difficult. I suspect there was a motivation outside of wanting a cake behind this. Should we try to trap people with strong religious views into these situations?

P.S. To be honest, if you genuinely wanted me to print them I'd probably do them as what would you possibly do with them that would damage me? I'd just be getting your money! This has forced me to think about where I would draw the line. Would I print something for the Conservatives - yes of course I would. I don't have to agree with them to respect their right to have opinions. What about an extreme group - let's say the EDF - no I wouldn't. Roland in - that would be difficult also, which says we all have our lines.
  • Options

Riviera said:

It's quite simple. Every baker should be allowed to refuse anything they are asked to bake and decorate if they don't want to and should not have to give a reason why they don't want to.
    We need Bakers Law.

Can a publican refuse to serve a customer without giving a reason ?
    Just curious.
    The management reserve the right to deny admission to the premises.
    Of course we can, it's our pub.
  • Options
    Peter Tattsal(my spelling) has just said he thinks it's the right decision ---- a man who has spilled a good bit of his own blood for gay rights ---- that should be the end of it the "always offended "can get back in the box
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

It's quite simple. Every baker should be allowed to refuse anything they are asked to bake and decorate if they don't want to and should not have to give a reason why they don't want to.
    We need Bakers Law.

Just curious.
    But I’m sure there are limits to that. If you refuse admission to women or Chinese people, I’m sure that will be a problem.

Like all of these issues, there’s a line, but it’s not always easy to prove it’s been crossed in a court of law.
  • Options
    @MuttleyCAFC I'm sorry if I offended you earlier and if I did then I apologise.

No of course this isn't simple and throws up a number of contradictory views. The Equality Act lists 9 protected characteristics, two of which are marriage/civil partnership and sexual orientation, both relevant in this discussion. An interesting dichotomy would be to consider if the claimant had won this case if the baker could have counter claimed that he had been discriminated against because of his religion or belief (or lack of belief) - another of the 9 protected characteristics.
  • Options
    I can refuse to serve anyone. I do not have to justify why. That was the question, we're not talking about legal positions. We have a number of female Chinese regulars by the way.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

We need Bakers Law.

Just curious.
    As long as it isn't for an unlawful reason - as has already been stated on this thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Riviera said:

I can refuse to serve anyone. I do not have to justify why. That was the question, we're not talking about legal positions. We have a number of female Chinese regulars by the way.

Serious question.
    Could Chirpy/Riviera legally refuse to serve Millwall supporters if he chose to do so ? (assuming he'd never seen them before and they hadn't caused trouble to his knowledge).
  • Options

Riviera said:

Serious question.
    Could Chirpy/Riviera refuse to serve Millwall supporters if he chose to do so ?
    I could do as long as I didn't give that as a reason. I wouldn't though as I have plenty of them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Can they bake?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

We need Bakers Law.

Just curious.
    As long as it isn't for an unlawful reason - as has already been stated on this thread.
    As I said I do not have to give a reason!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Serious question.
    I could do as long as I didn't give that as a reason. I wouldn't though as I have plenty of them!
    You could give it as a reason, quite lawfully. Discrimination on the grounds of the football team you support is fine as it is not a protected characteristic!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Serious question.
    You could give it as a reason, quite lawfully. Discrimination on the grounds of the football team you support is fine as it is not a protected characteristic!
    Brilliant. I'll consider opening a pub in Bermondsey just so I can refuse entry to Millwall fans :smile:
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Serious question.
    Brilliant. I'll consider opening a pub in Bermondsey just so I can refuse entry to Millwall fans :smile:
    I would advise against that ;-)
  • Options
    Maybe I missed something but what exactly was the proposed message on the cake?
  • Options
    No one should be forced to work for someone else if they don't like them, even if their reasoning is ridiculous. In this case, there is always another bakery down the street. Only when government endorses such a policy should there be intervention. It is silly to pass laws to make people pretend to like other people or approve of them. In a free market, there will always be someone willing to capitalize on someone else's discriminatory belief system.