Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

They Shall Not Grow Old - Film released 16 October

Comments

• Options
    Awe Inspiring - Brilliantly moving.This was supposed to be the war that ended all wars - unfortunately the Versailles treaty meant that would never happen
  • Options
    Best ww1 doc and possibly one of the best docs ever made.

The story about mercy killing the man who had half his body blown off was heartbreaking. Moved me to tears.

Awfully brilliant.
  • Options
    Absolutely brilliant film. Amazing how the old film was brought to life.
    Just spellbinding and compelling viewing.
  • Options
    A very worthy, brilliant piece. Probably as close we can get to getting an insight of the horrors of war without, understandably, ever being able to appreciate the full horror. The colour was like opening a door to the trenches.

• Options
    A moving film - from the credits it looks like the narration was in the old soldiers' own voices as they'd been recorded while they were still alive.

One thing that leapt out for me with the colouring was how bad a lot of their teeth looked. I suppose diet and the rigours of the war didn't help.
  • Options
    If anything from the colour I was really surprised at how green No Mans Land was... i.e. at one point we got an aerial view of the trenches and was surrounded by really nice greenery whereas I'd have expected it just to have been a brown mudbath.

The later image of all the flooded shell holes was what I imagined it to be yet even then it took me a while to realise what I was looking at as initially thought it was some netting looking up at the sky - As RedMidland says though, what brought it home was when those horses (were they Cavalry or were they pulling wagons / artillery) got the direct hit as really hit home (no pun intended)

Ultimately though it was the words from one old soldier before the attack when he said about you having time to just sit and think - For me that would be it, even now if I'm nervous or scared of going something I just have to get on with it, sitting around and waiting would harden my resolve to walk away and can really see how there would have been cases of men refusing to go over the top because they'd been mentally pushed beyond the limit
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Imagine doing that walk towards the enemy, with bullets and shells flying around you and mates dropping like stones as you walk on.
  • Options

Imagine doing that walk towards the enemy, with bullets and shells flying around you and mates dropping like stones as you walk on.

I know what you mean, Mutts, but for us it is impossible to imagine what that was like - truly impossible.

I recorded the film last night - my wife was away for the weekend and I want to watch it with her, and will tonight.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Worst case is that it would be a mate next to you... You'd probably want to stop and check that he's okay or see if he can get treatment and so survive his woulnds but you'd have orders from the Officers to just keep going.

As I said to my wife last night... I imagine a lot of the men went over thinking that the next bullet would be for them rather than thinking they'd ever get out alive which maybe would have made it a little bit easier
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Recorded and will watch in the next day or two when I am alone and in a position to reflect and be both sorrowful and happy as the moment takes me.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if its going to be available to purchase on DVD or Digitally?

Its certainly something I'd like to watch back with my Son when he grows up and learns to appreciate what happened
  • Options
    I was surprised how effective and emotive the sequences near the end were when the hand to hand combat was being described verbally while artists drawings were relied upon to set the picture. Almost like drawings taken from The Victor comic book from my childhood. Jutting jaws and big fists.

Thought I couldn’t be shocked by anything about WW1 but so much of that film opened my eyes to something new.

• Options

Its certainly something I'd like to watch back with my Son when he grows up and learns to appreciate what happened

I would say it’s a certainty.....though not immediately.
    A nice thing to consider for you both in the future......yes go for it.

• Options

It’s available on BBCi Player
  • Options

Yeah will be watching it back a few times on there... Wasnt sure though if it'll remain on there indefinitely
  • Options
    I didn't realise that it was going to be shown on the BBC until I accidentally switched over last night. I watched about 1/2 hour. Technically brilliant but far too harrowing for me.
  • Options
    Watched this last night and was amazed and upset all at the same time, I know my great great granddad was wounded at Gallipoli (shot in the head but survived and was wheel chair bound) and his son (my great granddad) tried to sign up but was 14yrs old at the time. He eventually went on to serve in WW2.

Does anyone know a good website to find service records for family members as I have been looking online today but not too sure what one is best I know full names, DOB, regiments and deaths but nothing comes up when I do the free search?

Thanks
  • Options
    Red_James said:

Watched this last night and was amazed and upset all at the same time, I know my great great granddad was wounded at Gallipoli (shot in the head but survived and was wheel chair bound) and his son (my great granddad) tried to sign up but was 14yrs old at the time. He eventually went on to serve in WW2.

Does anyone know a good website to find service records for family members as I have been looking online today but not too sure what one is best I know full names, DOB, regiments and deaths but nothing comes up when I do the free search?

Thanks

Searching war records are currently free on Ancestry.com but that ends today I think.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Red_James said:

Thanks

www.forces-war-records.co.uk ... Isnt bad yet again isnt free

Its quite good in the respect that my Great Grandad was part of the Blackheath & Woolwich, got wounded, came home and then returned to France as part of one of the other London Battalions yet the link traces where his Battalion would have been, when he was out there
  • Options
    Peter Jackson and his team have achieved something quite remarkable with this film. I found myself completely numb at certain points that means I'll definitely have to revisit it.

Hopefully it is shown in schools, as graphic as it is at times, that's the reality and should be aired.
  • Options

Yeah will be watching it back a few times on there... Wasnt sure though if it'll remain on there indefinitely
    I downloaded it to watch this morning. Says it's on there for 6 days.

Only 30 mins in but incredible viewing.
  • Options
    Hope people remember that there is the Behind the Scenes interview with Peter Jackson.

Will be on BBC4 @ 7:30 this evening for 30mins - Nicely timed as will be straight after the FA Cup Draw on BBC2
  • Options
    I know my great grandfather fought in WW1 and his brother fought and died as part of the Royal Flying Corps. Sadly I don't know any details. My great grandfather died when I was too young to understand and take an interest.
  • Options

I know my great grandfather fought in WW1 and his brother fought and died as part of the Royal Flying Corps. Sadly I don't know any details. My great grandfather died when I was too young to understand and take an interest.

If you were curious about finding more about him - I personally have found relatives who fought using the below trial and error

- On Ancestry I'd search for my Great Grandfather going by his birth date and the date he died

- That'll usually link you to the 1911 (?) Census which'll tell you who your Great-Great Grandfather is, providing you with details of who was living under his roof at the time, if your Great-Grandfather and his Brother(s) were living there at the time it would be a simple case of searching for his name against the Royal Flying Corp

Of course though it depends on where your family was born - For example, one of my Great-Grandfather's only reached the Western Front in late 1918 so didnt see much of the War; he stayed in the Army with the Buffs which took him out to India (His family went with him) where my late Grandad was born so the details of his birth is something that wont appear on the likes of Ancestry
  • Options
    I sat there open mouthed for most of this film. It was so graphic and it has completely changed my perception of the great war. I obviously knew all about the mud, trenches, etc ,but this took my understanding to a new horrific level.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Carter said:

I've recorded it to watch tonight, I've said for years that every single British school child should be taken to the battlefields as part of their basic curriculum.

I distinctly remember going to the imperial war museum as a kid and the effect it had on me. The savagery of the first world war and scale of death, suffering and injury is incomprehensible. Seeing the number of gravestones and the amount with no name on, it's impossible to not be hugely moved. I don't know anyone who has gone there and come back not affected by what they saw.

What @Carter said.
    Also Carter, have you been to the Imperial war Museum recently, it was renovated about 2 years ago? If not, go along, its absolutely cracking, the WW1 part is excellent, as is all of it, a word of warning you will need a full day there just to see it all......!
  • Options
    What an excellent film. Personal testimony from the heart. Very humbling.

Desperately sad that so many ex-servicemen were left high and dry after the War, with no real job prospects. I can also quite understand how they found it practically impossible to relate their experiences to civilians who hadn't a clue as to what had gone on out there (not that people were encouraged to talk about such things back then anyway).