Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STEVENAGE v CHARLTON 9/10/18 (Record victory, brilliant competition )

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options

fuck me too many doom and gloom on here, yes i wasn't bothered about the game at all really. Although when i heard the result i was pleased, records aside its a great result no matter who we played.

Take it for what it is, although stupid comp/ reserve players we won 8-0nil. Its still classed as competitive game so be it.

• Options

I don’t want to devalue the other night but I’m with oohaah here. How can a competition that includes U23 teams from sides in other leagues be taken seriously? Even Stevenage made nine changes to their line up. It’s a farce. Nothing more than a friendly in my eyes. Results etc should not go in the record book in my opinion.

U21. Get it right:-)
  • Options

On the Stevenage YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/IQ61f4po5fo

I like the way the chanting only starts when the 8th goes in....."ok lads, we can relax and enjoy it now...."
  • Options
    If you look at our record win and people see it was in the Checkatrade trophy I assume people may make a judgement. All the cups have the same problem now given how squads are routinely weakened.

• Options
    Simonsen said:

On the Stevenage YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/IQ61f4po5fo

I like the way the chanting only starts when the 8th goes in....."ok lads, we can relax and enjoy it now...."
    Did the ball have a microphone inside it?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

🤨

Off_it said:

Record win? Is it?

Since when did we count anything other than first team games? This competition hasn't been great for a while, but when they started allowing reserve teams in it lost its "first team" status as far as I'm concerned.

However, well done the fellas that played anyway.

Its a First Team competition for League One and League Two teams which played last night though

Can understand your sentiments had it been a win over Swansea City
    You can tell how serious the League 2 oppo took it by the 9 changes made
    True but teams make similar wholesale changes for FA Cup and League Cup games. Yet they are still considered, rightly, as first team competitions.
    but is this isn't a first team competition for all entrants, well that's how i see it
    But it it was for the two teams playing.
    Yes I understand that but it's as devalued a competition as anything with u-21 sides in it and I , personally , see it as an insult to our history that this result in this joke of a competition will now mean we have this as our record victory as opposed to a top flight 8-1 win over middlesbrough against a second string league two side
    I wasn’t around in 1953 and neither was my son and we were last night, so it absolute does count in my eyes !

In fact I’m getting 5000 T-Shirts printed to sell , saying - “I was there to see the 8-0 “
    Stevenage 2018
    In years to come, at least 10000 will claim they were there to see it.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

What a surprise, a cracking night, good to chat to @Bedsaddick and @bazjonster before the game, and great to see some talented youngsters waiting in the wings, at 0-0 I thought Naby's incredible pass was worth the tenner to get in, watching history being made as the goals flew in, priceless.

Thats 16 goals in 2 games following Charlton away this week, cant wait for Barnsley now, up the Addicks

Pleasure to finally meet you mate and have a chat. Look forward to joining you on one of your tours when the time is right for me.

Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I really can see the difference between this & any other 1st class match.

When in the Prem we rested players for FA cup games. Most Top 6 Prem sides play their reserves on Cup games - esp the league cup. The famous Arsenal v Reading 6-6 (?) game contained all Arsenal's youth players. Jeez......our full strength L1 side were knocked out by non league Northwich - should that not count because they were "substandard" opposition.
  • Options
    “You can only wallop what’s in front of you” - Frank Bough 1983
  • Options

When in the Prem we rested players for FA cup games. Most Top 6 Prem sides play their reserves on Cup games - esp the league cup. The famous Arsenal v Reading 6-6 (?) game contained all Arsenal's youth players. Jeez......our full strength L1 side were knocked out by non league Northwich - should that not count because they were "substandard" opposition.

The simplest way to determine whether or not this game should 'count' as a first team match is if Seb was there.

If he was, then it counts.
  • Options

The simplest way to determine whether or not this game should 'count' as a first team match is if Seb was there.

If he was, then it counts.
    He was
  • Options
    Vetokele claiming 2 goals!

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bc068ac49cb7/igor-vetokele-on-being-back-at-charlton-and-claiming-two-goals-at-stevenage

"Vetokele has been credited with one goal on Tuesday night but he believes that Addicks’ fifth goal – currently down as George Lapslie’s – should also be his.

The strike is set to be put to the EFL’s dubious goals panel by the club".

The EFL dubious goal panel. LOL!
  • Options

Vetokele claiming 2 goals!

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bc068ac49cb7/igor-vetokele-on-being-back-at-charlton-and-claiming-two-goals-at-stevenage

"Vetokele has been credited with one goal on Tuesday night but he believes that Addicks’ fifth goal – currently down as George Lapslie’s – should also be his.

The strike is set to be put to the EFL’s dubious goals panel by the club".

The EFL dubious goal panel. LOL!

It definitely touched him on the way through
  • Options

Pretty sure Vetokele back heeled in nummer five. But great work by Lapslie.

Never in doubt. Lovely back heel. Give Igor credit!
  • Options

I’ve produced the statbank, they can’t change it :wink:

dont worry......you didn't change the stats when the Press Association said we didnt hit the woodwork & 9k in the ground clearly saw we did, so no need for you to do anything.
  • Options
    Igor Vetokele has been credited with Charlton’s fifth goal in last Tuesday’s club-record victory at Stevenage, following a review from the EFL’s Dubious Goals Panel.

The strike had originally gone down as academy graduate George Lapslie’s goal.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bc5f06931b61/igor-vetokele-credited-with-charltons-fifth-goal-in-club-record-victory-at-stevenage-following-efl-review
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems a bit harsh for an “established” goal scorer to nick a goal from an academy player, he wasn’t even on to break any Harry Kane records eh....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Seems a bit harsh for an “established” goal scorer to nick a goal from an academy player, he wasn’t even on to break any Harry Kane records eh....
    I disagree... I think it's a confidence thing and how do you know Lapslie wasn't embarrassed by being attributed a goal he didn't score?

If anyone nicked a goal in that game it was Lapslie nicking Igor's goal in the first place.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Depends
    If Igor is on a goal bonus then I dont blame him
  • Options
    This is just too much, don’t they think of the stats
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Not harsh . He definitely touched it . At the time I was surprised they gave it to Lapslie