Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Climate Change - IPCC Report

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

McBobbin said:

I remember seeing a show, where it was explained (by someone who actually studies it) that as countries become more developed, and have better education, equality and less child mortality, that kind of thing, the number of children tends to decrease, to close to two. This is happening in Europe and increasingly in many other countries (Bangladesh happened to be an example where this is starting to happen). Will take a lot of hard work, and time, but this is where the world seems to be heading.

If the seas rise five metres there won't even BE a Bangladesh! Happy days mate
    The Thames estuary if f*cked as well.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

McBobbin said:

I remember seeing a show, where it was explained (by someone who actually studies it) that as countries become more developed, and have better education, equality and less child mortality, that kind of thing, the number of children tends to decrease, to close to two. This is happening in Europe and increasingly in many other countries (Bangladesh happened to be an example where this is starting to happen). Will take a lot of hard work, and time, but this is where the world seems to be heading.

If the seas rise five metres there won't even BE a Bangladesh! Happy days mate
    Problem solved!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

When people start dying in their tens of millions then the elites responsible for all this will probably lift a finger. Obviously by then it'll be far too late

This may have sneaked to the top three of the "@Leuth being over dramatic" posts.

How about over population being one of the main causes of climate change?
    So the tens of millions of people dying will be a good thing. Gotcha
    So is not over population a major factor in climate change? Neither are a good thing.

Just for reference;

• 55.3 million people die each year

• 151,600 people die each day

• 6,316 people die each hour

You should be writing a strongly worded letter to the elites responsible.
    I'm talking about people dying in mass famine/drought events, obviously

The vast majority of people on Earth contribute very little to global warming. Earth can theoretically support a population of over 10 billion humans. But when a majority of agriculture is either cattle or cattle feed, and when wealthy nations insist on meeting their energy needs by releasing millennia of accumulated carbon into the atmosphere...well it suits certain people to blame the equatorial masses, doesn't it? Oh, it'll be terribly tragic when they all start dying, won't it? I suppose there'll have to be some sort of dashed migration crisis. The Jerry can take them all, they seem to like it!
    So from climate change to death, famine, war and conquest? Very biblical.

The only person blaming certain people is you.

Believe it or not, the World has always had famine, drought and migration. And yes, it is tragic, but you seem to revel in anything that's wrong with our wonderful world and lay the blame fairly and squarely on the 'elite'.

The thing is, you don't see yourself as one of those 'elite'. Guess what? I bet a large amount of the World's population see you as just that, as I suspect a large amount of what you do and have done in your life has added to climate change

Unless you've given up the first world life style and now live in a Yurt on reclaimed land
  • Options
    That's true it's called democratic projection I think(long time since I did Third World Development in the OU)
  • Options

I'm surprised that all new houses aren't being built with solar panels. The Government should make it a condition for planning permission.

It would be better to try and make all new builds passive and to properly insulate existing properties but without the government stumping up some cash I can’t see that happening.
  • Options
    Classic Malthus vs Boserup vs Club of Rome.
    GCSE stuff since the mid 1980's.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

When people start dying in their tens of millions then the elites responsible for all this will probably lift a finger. Obviously by then it'll be far too late

This may have sneaked to the top three of the "@Leuth being over dramatic" posts.

So is not over population a major factor in climate change? Neither are a good thing.

Just for reference;

The vast majority of people on Earth contribute very little to global warming. Earth can theoretically support a population of over 10 billion humans. But when a majority of agriculture is either cattle or cattle feed, and when wealthy nations insist on meeting their energy needs by releasing millennia of accumulated carbon into the atmosphere...well it suits certain people to blame the equatorial masses, doesn't it? Oh, it'll be terribly tragic when they all start dying, won't it? I suppose there'll have to be some sort of dashed migration crisis. The Jerry can take them all, they seem to like it!

Believe it or not, the World has always had famine, drought and migration. And yes, it is tragic, but you seem to revel in anything that's wrong with our wonderful world and lay the blame fairly and squarely on the 'elite'.

The thing is, you don't see yourself as one of those 'elite'. Guess what? I bet a large amount of the World's population see you as just that, as I suspect a large amount of what you do and have done in your life has added to climate change

Unless you've given up the first world life style and now live in a Yurt on reclaimed land
    I think the point you are probably intentionally missing is that with climate change the droughts and famine will be on an unprecedented scale where millions are genuinely likely to die. This is not some cyclical spike. This will be literally catastrophic.

It’s not the fault of the “elite” other than that it’s ONLY the elite that can stop this from happening.
  • Options
    When i was a kid in the 60s were heading for a new ice age, Now the UK will have a climate similar to the Caribbean. Someone make their mind up!
  • Options

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Just for reference;

I think the point you are probably intentionally missing is that with climate change the droughts and famine will be on an unprecedented scale where millions are genuinely likely to die. This is not some cyclical spike. This will be literally catastrophic.

It’s not the fault of the “elite” other than that it’s ONLY the elite that can stop this from happening.
    I'm not intentionally missing anything.

It's estimated that 45 million people died in China between 1959 and 1961 because of famine. Nothing to do with climate change and certainly what I'd call an unprecedented scale.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    We do have collective responsibility. I have flown abroad four times this year, one of them long haul. I drive, and I eat too much meat. I know it is happening and I should do more about it from a personal perspective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The elite? Is this a Monty Python sketch or have we gone back to the 1950's?
    I dont see an elite.
    There are politicians that the people vote for, scientists trying to get their message out there, but in the end it is up to individuals to take individual and collective action to force change.
    Blaming the 'elite' is lazy, 'notmyfault'-ism.
    I'm sure Leuth has never flown on an airplane in his life, and he is the model we should all aspire to.
  • Options
    China does more damage to global warming than America and Europe put together.
    Whatever we do in the UK to limit the problem is pretty much irrelevant.
    Not saying we should not try but putting it in perspective.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It is not what you call something whether it be elites or massive corporations or all of us, but cigarette companies surpressed findings on the risks of smoking for example. There are massively powerful interests that don't want us to change. But, we all have to take responsibility and we also have to admit it is happening. Even if we are only 80% or 90% sure, what sort of idiots would take the risk of not doing anything?
  • Options
    What can I do?

The report says there must be rapid and significant changes in four big global systems:
    ◾energy • land use • cities • industry

But it adds that the world cannot meet its target without changes by individuals, urging people to:
    ◾buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter and more locally sourced seasonal food - and throw less of it away • drive electric cars but walk or cycle short distances • take trains and buses instead of planes • use videoconferencing instead of business travel • use a washing line instead of a tumble dryer • insulate homes • demand low carbon in every consumer product.

Two things:

1. Have they ever tried to commute on SouthEastern?;
    2. Is that how I’m expected to get to Turkey for my holiday next year?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Just for reference;

I'm not intentionally missing anything.

It's estimated that 45 million people died in China between 1959 and 1961 because of famine. Nothing to do with climate change and certainly what I'd call an unprecedented scale.
    Then you are intentionally being obtuse.

• Options

That’s it though isn’t it. Unless we, humans as a species not as countries arguing over who is doing most and who is doing least get together and attack the problem as one nothing will change and literally Armageddon will happen.

I have zero confidence that the catastrophe will be averted. The next century the world will be a very different place.
  • Options
    Weird the independent police complaints commission get involved in climate change.
  • Options

That’s it though isn’t it. Unless we, humans as a species not as countries arguing over who is doing most and who is doing least get together and attack the problem as one nothing will change and literally Armageddon will happen.

I have zero confidence that the catastrophe will be averted. The next century the world will be a very different place.
    I refer you to China again.
    The biggest threat to our world is over population.
    But I am on the same side as you regarding a catastrophe will at some time occur.
  • Options

I refer you to China again.
    The biggest threat to our world is over population.
    But I am on the same side as you regarding a catastrophe will at some time occur.
    I take your point but in 70 years from now over population is unlikely to be a problem.
  • Options
    The big mistake is to point in a direction and say they are worse which is a reason why we don't have to change. We should of course challenge the biggest causes but not allow it to let ourselves off the hook. One thing we can affect is our own behaviour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The big mistake is to point in a direction and say they are worse which is a reason why we don't have to change. We should of course challenge the biggest causes but not allow it to let ourselves off the hook. One thing we can affect is our own behaviour.

Of course we can all do something but until the governments of the world do something we as individuals are really just pissing in the wind. The examples are endless but do we really need the type and quantity of packaging that we get with our food. I wonder just how many little stickers are produced that inform us that the apple is a Gala or Pink Lady. These issues in isolation won’t make a big impact but we have to start somewhere.

• Options
    What I am saying is if we all did more, we might demand more from our leaders. I don't do enough, that is clear to me. Am I going to do something about that? And if I am what am I going to do?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Leuth said:

I'm not sure Keith is too keen on people with money, or Tories. Just a hunch.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

I'm not sure Keith is too keen on people with money, or Tories. Just a hunch.
    Unless it's his or his family's?
  • Options
    I don't think anyone disputes climate change per se but what is down to nature and what is down to man is or should be another debate.

Yet the powers that be seek to stifle that debate. The silencing of Craig (David) Bellamy being one example.

Call me a cynic if you like but blaming 'man' opens up wonderful opportunities for imposing social control and suppression of the individual all in the interests of 'saving the planet' of course. Not to mention all the money invested one way or the other by the 'great and the good' in so called renewables and ancillary industries.

Apparently CO 2 levels were higher in the Middle Ages than they are now yet nobody was driving cars or flying aeroplanes then.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

I don't think anyone disputes climate change per se but what is down to nature and what is down to man is or should be another debate.

Yet the powers that be seek to stifle that debate. The silencing of Craig (David) Bellamy being one example.

Call me a cynic if you like but blaming 'man' opens up wonderful opportunities for imposing social control and suppression of the individual all in the interests of 'saving the planet' of course. Not to mention all the money invested one way or the other by the 'great and the good' in so called renewables and ancillary industries.

Apparently CO 2 levels were higher in the Middle Ages than they are now yet nobody was driving cars or flying aeroplanes then.

For your conspiracy theory to be true you would of course need a global conspiracy of governments and more importantly the complicity of pretty much every scientist and scientific institution in the world. I think the stats surrounding weather over the last few decades are a far more compelling argument.