Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Coventry

12345679»

Comments

• Options

Now below Acc and Luton in table.

and......??

they are in our league btw.....if they win more games than us then they will. Millwall are above us too, in case you didn't notice.

I hate all the billy big bollox " so & so tin pit club are above us". Get used to it. we are in this league for a reason.....we havent been good enough for the past 3 seasons to get out of it. So what if Accrington, Barnsley or Wallsall are above us. There are 24 teams in this league....some will get more points than us. Doesn't matter if its Accrington or Arsenal. get over it.
    @golfaddick

Thanks for the lesson on how a league works, but my point was that after 25% of the season we are below 2 newly promoted sides. If a Prem team had Cardiff and Fulham above them at this stage, they would not be patting themselves on the back. Size of club is irrelevant, if Acc and Luton are doing better than us, then how are things looking for us to get promotion ?
    Nil. But that's to be expected when we started the season with such a thin squad. I applaud LB for bringing in the players he did post Sunderland (Cullen, Ward & Beliek) but don't kid ourselves, they just papered over the cracks. We started the season with just one recognised left back (who is now injured) one right back (with dodgy knees) and a just one striker with any decent scoring record in this league (Taylor).

I was expecting a relegation fight -maybe not bottom 4, but certainly bottom 8. I am more than happy with where we are at the moment but do I expect to be top 6...........not a snowballs chance in hell. As someone above has just said, we are paying for past sins (high wages) & an owner that just doesn't care.

I do feel that LB is a great coach & obviously has built great togetherness within the squad & is well respected. However, I'm not sure if he is a good manager. The back for on Saturday was a shambles because he changed 2 personnel (Solly & Dijikstel) to accommodate 1 missing player. IMO he should have either played Mascoll there or, worst case, played Sarr at LB and then put Dijikstil at centre half. Bowyer is also not proactive & is very much reactive - at too late to boot. Their sub scored their 2 goals.........when did one of our subs do that ??

BTW - have a look at the Premiership table. I think you'll find Newcastle are in the bottom 3.
    I believe Mascoll is injured.
    If he had played Djiksteel at CH and Sarr at LB he would have still changed 2 personnel !
    Yes......but we wouldn't have had a right footed player at left back. How many times did Solly go past their player on the outside compared to cutting back in onto his right foot & playing a square pass to Cullen / Aribo or a backwards pass to Sarr. I counted just once in the first half.
  • Options
    It is true - Solly can do a job there but it is a lesser job. The issue is, if Sarr is needed a centre back we don't have a lot of choice.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

and......??

they are in our league btw.....if they win more games than us then they will. Millwall are above us too, in case you didn't notice.

I hate all the billy big bollox " so & so tin pit club are above us". Get used to it. we are in this league for a reason.....we havent been good enough for the past 3 seasons to get out of it. So what if Accrington, Barnsley or Wallsall are above us. There are 24 teams in this league....some will get more points than us. Doesn't matter if its Accrington or Arsenal. get over it.
    @golfaddick

Thanks for the lesson on how a league works, but my point was that after 25% of the season we are below 2 newly promoted sides. If a Prem team had Cardiff and Fulham above them at this stage, they would not be patting themselves on the back. Size of club is irrelevant, if Acc and Luton are doing better than us, then how are things looking for us to get promotion ?
    Nil. But that's to be expected when we started the season with such a thin squad. I applaud LB for bringing in the players he did post Sunderland (Cullen, Ward & Beliek) but don't kid ourselves, they just papered over the cracks. We started the season with just one recognised left back (who is now injured) one right back (with dodgy knees) and a just one striker with any decent scoring record in this league (Taylor).

I was expecting a relegation fight -maybe not bottom 4, but certainly bottom 8. I am more than happy with where we are at the moment but do I expect to be top 6...........not a snowballs chance in hell. As someone above has just said, we are paying for past sins (high wages) & an owner that just doesn't care.

I do feel that LB is a great coach & obviously has built great togetherness within the squad & is well respected. However, I'm not sure if he is a good manager. The back for on Saturday was a shambles because he changed 2 personnel (Solly & Dijikstel) to accommodate 1 missing player. IMO he should have either played Mascoll there or, worst case, played Sarr at LB and then put Dijikstil at centre half. Bowyer is also not proactive & is very much reactive - at too late to boot. Their sub scored their 2 goals.........when did one of our subs do that ??

BTW - have a look at the Premiership table. I think you'll find Newcastle are in the bottom 3.
    If he had played Djiksteel at CH and Sarr at LB he would have still changed 2 personnel !
    Yes......but we wouldn't have had a right footed player at left back. How many times did Solly go past their player on the outside compared to cutting back in onto his right foot & playing a square pass to Cullen / Aribo or a backwards pass to Sarr. I counted just once in the first half.
    I agree with this. But if Sarr had played LB (and he's not convincing there).
    Djiksteel would have had to play at CH for the first time.
    Still 2 playing out of position.
    There was no obvious solution.
  • Options

and......??

@golfaddick

I agree with this. But if Sarr had played LB (and he's not convincing there).
    Djiksteel would have had to play at CH for the first time.
    Still 2 playing out of position.
    There was no obvious solution.
    The solution was to score the second goal.
  • Options
    They made it look very simple for the winning goal. One touch passes, and the man running into the box ahead of the defender. With his momentum, as long as he got the header on target it was always going to go in. Our players always seem to be worried about hitting the goal keeper with their shots and headers and as a consequence miss the target altogether.
  • Options
    All this right footed player at left back,left footed at right back,modern day players should be able to be both footed.
  • Options
    Wrecking ball?well over the top!
  • Options
    back 5 tonight, Sarr, Dijk and Prat in the three
  • Options

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

poor selection .. our defence is useless at Scunny and is retained en masse a few days later .. I assume Solly was a fish out of water at left back .. Bielek was on the bench, why didn't he start ? .. at least we are not alone .. Posh thumped at home as were Donny, who'd'a thought the Gills would win at Pompey .. still all to play for

You assume wrong. He was fine, did a decent job as he usually has done at left back.

However neither Dijksteel, a defensive midfielder, or Solly, on his wrong side, offered much as an attacking threat. Solly used his left foot at times but mainly came back on his right which sometimes slowed the attacking down. That’s where we missed Page.

It was obvious we needed a second goal and didn’t get it. Nearly won at the end through Ward, instead we missed and straight after that Coventry scored.

Got to be better at both ends. First half we had a great chance blocked/cleared (Grant and Fosu?) and another, a Taylor header he didn’t get enough power or direction on which was saved on the line by their keeper.

Taylor had a good game, both creating chances for other and looking to score himself.

Aribo seemed to disappear as the game went on, almost forgot he was playing.

We looked good on the ball, tried get in behind and put in different types of crosses but we didn’t do enough to win the game. Being only 1-0 up meant the game could go either way. Had we got that second goal I think we’d have been fairly comfortable, well as much as a Charlton team can with that score line anyway.
    so .. Solly couldn't get forward, couldn't use his left foot, slowed the attack down and wasn't a 'fish out of water' .. he's playing out of position what did you expect .. a terrific player for us BUT he's NOT a left back ..i.e. a fish out of water .. what about the rest of my post ? .. why no Bielek ? ..
    He did get forward, but not in the way that a natural left footed left back would. I said it sometimes slowed down the attack, not every time. It was his excellent cross that Taylor should have scored from.

He had a decent game, describing him as a "fish out of water" suggests he struggled and shouldn't play there again.

Scoring 1 goal and conceding 2 wasn't down to Solly. Others missed chances, made the wrong decisions, had crosses blocked, made mistakes defensively etc.

With Bielik back Bowyer has the option of a back four of Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr, which would be more balanced.
    I wasn't 'picking on' Solly or blaming him for the loss .. On Tuesday it was obvious to me that the makeshift defence that finished the game just would not do for the following Saturday .. Solly at l/back .. no, Dijksteel at r/back ..no .. Sarr and Pearce (on the right and not his favoured left side) in the middle .. no .. a totally unbalanced defence that can't be shored up by a decent attacking midfield and forward line, especially with Grant looking out of sorts ..
    the first few words of my post 'blame' the selection of the team .. Bowyer is a novice and will learn .. however to have seen the Tuesday shambles and to select the defence that finished the game was a bad decision .. we have a lot of injuries and an unbalanced squad, too many midfielders and not enough defenders after the sale of Lennon and McCartney Konsa .. still there should have been a better starting selection .. Bielik & Pearce in the middle and Sarr on the left (as a temporary measure) with Solly ON THE RIGHT where he belongs and not on the left .. If you were at Scunthorpe on Tuesday I can't see how you could disagree. Solly is NOT a left back as hard as he tries and however good a fist he makes of the job
    I wasn’t at Scunthorpe but watched it on iFollow. I agree that’s our best back four available at the moment, though I don’t feel it was really an option on Saturday. I doubt Bielik was quite ready to play a full 90 minutes.

I’d say we’re missing a second choice LB more than another CB such as Lennon. That would give us two players for each position in the back four.

We really needed to kill the game off and make it 2 or 3-0. Would have been a different game had we taken some of our chances.
    I saw Lennon's debut or perhaps it was one of his very early games .. he had a very decent game at left back where he was originally selected .. anyway, he's gone
    Lennon might have done a job at LB for a bit but I doubt he’d offer any real attacking threat. That’s especially important in Bowyer’s 4-4-2 diamond or 5-3-2 formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    shirty5 said:

Redhenry said:

Not another prat at the back
    Yeh but at least the Prat has got a Djick to partner :wink: :
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

shirty5 said:

Redhenry said:

boom boom ((:>)
  • Options

RedChaser said:

shirty5 said:

Redhenry said:

boom boom ((:>)
    I'm here all week @Lincsaddick :wink:
  • Options
    Naby Dijk Prat :blush:
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Naby Dijk Prat :blush:

Pratley doesn't look disciplined enough for holding midfield, don't know how I feel about him as a CB, even in a back three.

Are Bowery and Blumberg fit? I know we just sent Yao on loan but could presumably be recalled for a match. I don't understand what we get out of Pratley at CB unless he's seen as long term cover there. And given his recent performances, the fact that he spent time out injured, and that he missed most of pre-season, I feel like he could use some minutes in midfield.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Can someone clarify the rules from the Referee that made Steer having to take a Goal Kick and Free Kick twice?

Was it because the player he was passing to, was technically behind him?

Ball didn't come out or area both correct descisions.
    Never knew this myself... So a GK or FK taken inside the box has to be passed to a player outside of the box?

As a player that is a bit embarrassing if they dont know that
    bringing up this post, nothing to do with Coventry .. the FA reportedly are looking to abolish the law about the ball leaving the pen area on free and goal kicks .. also considering allowing free and goal kicks to be taken with the ball moving/rolling .. how far and how fast it can be allowed to roll is not reported .. this was in the 'Times' a few days ago .. the idea is to speed up the game and to keep it flowing