Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Coventry

Comments

• Options

Well I read it, the point about the salary of some fringe players is spot on, if we got those 5 off the wage bill we could probably bring 7 or 8.
  • Options

Grapevine ponders the value of brevity - and takes it to the limit.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Laddick01 said:

Once we get Bielik back we’re better off. Problem is we’re at least one RB/LB short

Playoffs again

Naby can play at left back, might be a better option so Solly can go back to RB.

• Options
    Leuth said:

Thought we were good. A huge void where a real right-back should be costing us though

A most succinct but accurate summary!
  • Options
    Bring back Dillon Phillips ASAP
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    A game where we played some of our best short passing football for some time but lacked in the final third.

In summary, overall, a game I would have been disappointed to draw, let alone lose but credit to Robins, he saw we were vulnerable down Anfernee’s flank and brought on a strong, bustling, quick front man to attack the ball as it was whipped in from the left flank.

Both their goals came from the same move and we need to learn to stop these low, driven crosses into the 6 yard box in the first place.

They had much less success down Solly’s flank.

I thought we lacked a strong, central front man today and that was highlighted by how well Coventry used theirs.

I’d like to see Lyle receiving the driven crosses into the opposition 6 yard box, rather than providing them.

Best observation from some posters today, imho, what a difference it made when Reeves came off as Dijksteel was totally isolated when defending wide thereafter.

On the positive side, Lyle is peaking as a target man, absolutely top notch signing and Josh Cullen, again, real quality but became less effective as the game progressed and he needs to run that engine on full revs for the whole 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

CAFCTrev said:

Poor subs didnt help, Reeves was having a great game and didnt look tired. Fosu was holding up the ball well and key to a lot of our attacking moves. Taking both off in a matter of minutes killed our attacking threat.

Well I agreed with both subs.
    We looked lethargic all game and although Aribo was excellent & Cullen good we were losing the middle due to Reeves & Fosu.
    losing the middle due to our wider midfielders?
    derr. In a diamond you don't have wide midfielders.
  • Options

Can someone clarify the rules from the Referee that made Steer having to take a Goal Kick and Free Kick twice?

Was it because the player he was passing to, was technically behind him?

Ball didn't come out or area both correct descisions.
    Never knew this myself... So a GK or FK taken inside the box has to be passed to a player outside of the box?

As a player that is a bit embarrassing if they dont know that
    Don’t know how long you have been watching football but it’s pretty embarrassing you don’t know that. It’s like not knowing a penalty has to be taken from that white spot 12 yards from the goal.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I love bowyer but he waits too long to make a sub. Should have brought on Bielik in the 65th min

Think Bielek was there for absolute emergencies only today. Listening to bowyer midweek, I don't think Bielek was really fit today.
    You're probably right. So it begs the question why was he on the sub's bench?

In case of emergency to cover our few and far between CB’s if either got injured
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I'm not angry. I never lost my calm about this one. Disappointed? Yea! But the players are giving every effort. Not one person in that stadium could say they didn't give 100%. They trying ever so hard to kill it off. It's just silly uncharactaritic mistakes at the back at present. We're having a little blip.
  • Options

I'm not angry. I never lost my calm about this one. The players are giving every effort. Not one person in that stadium could say they didn't give 100%. They trying ever so hard to kill it off. It's just silly uncharactaritic mistakes at the back at present. We're having a little blip.

A little blip is better than a big one.
  • Options

I'm not angry. I never lost my calm about this one. The players are giving every effort. Not one person in that stadium could say they didn't give 100%. They trying ever so hard to kill it off. It's just silly uncharactaritic mistakes at the back at present. We're having a little blip.

A little blip is better than a big one.
    Hopefully it don't turn into a big one.
  • Options

?????

mods been at your post or just give up ??
  • Options
    Scoham said:

poor selection .. our defence is useless at Scunny and is retained en masse a few days later .. I assume Solly was a fish out of water at left back .. Bielek was on the bench, why didn't he start ? .. at least we are not alone .. Posh thumped at home as were Donny, who'd'a thought the Gills would win at Pompey .. still all to play for

You assume wrong. He was fine, did a decent job as he usually has done at left back.

However neither Dijksteel, a defensive midfielder, or Solly, on his wrong side, offered much as an attacking threat. Solly used his left foot at times but mainly came back on his right which sometimes slowed the attacking down. That’s where we missed Page.

It was obvious we needed a second goal and didn’t get it. Nearly won at the end through Ward, instead we missed and straight after that Coventry scored.

Got to be better at both ends. First half we had a great chance blocked/cleared (Grant and Fosu?) and another, a Taylor header he didn’t get enough power or direction on which was saved on the line by their keeper.

Taylor had a good game, both creating chances for other and looking to score himself.

Aribo seemed to disappear as the game went on, almost forgot he was playing.

We looked good on the ball, tried get in behind and put in different types of crosses but we didn’t do enough to win the game. Being only 1-0 up meant the game could go either way. Had we got that second goal I think we’d have been fairly comfortable, well as much as a Charlton team can with that score line anyway.
    Pretty much spot on analysis as usual Scoham although maybe you are being a bit harsh on Aribo.
    I think their 2 substitutions made a big impact, they obviously decided to just go for it.
    But we should have been home and hosed before then.
    As it was we had opportunities on the counter which, if we had made them count would have made their subs irrelevant.
    I noticed at one point that Bowyer had Bielik stripped and ready to come on (presumably to shore things up), but when they equalised he told him to sit down, I guess because he then wanted to go for the win.
    So he brought on Lapslie instead.
    The diamond asks a lot of our full backs, maybe more than they can deliver, although defensively that was pretty much vintage Solly today.
    I said to my son that cautious Curbs or Powell would have got at least a point from that game, but I am enjoying the football we play under Bowyer.
    It's just as much a learning curve for him as a rookie manager as it is for the players and I am cautiously optimistic he'll learn and grow from these setbacks.
  • Options

PS Taylor is fucking magnificent

But why did he spend so much time out on the wing?
  • Options

PS Taylor is fucking magnificent

But why did he spend so much time out on the wing?
    because thats where the ball went & he's good at holding it up.
  • Options

For barnsley I would go with

Phillips
    Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

I'd drop Grant for Vetokele. Cost us points on Tuesday and was awful today.
  • Options

We are below Accrington Stanley, joy

We won't be after 46 games.

Can’t wait , what an achievement that will be for us , heady times
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For once short and to the point
  • Options
    Sometimes Grapey says very little, but at the same time says so much.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

For barnsley I would go with

Phillips
    Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Aribo Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

I'd drop Grant for Vetokele. Cost us points on Tuesday and was awful today.
    I agree, Igor should start the next game.

I’d even make a case of bringing Marshall into the side, he would provide us with more defensive ability and going three at the back will benefit Sarr who I thought played well yesterday but with another player we could be a bit more solid.

I would either go with the original but with Vetokele or go 3 at the back, but unfortunately means someone like Reeves misses out who has been brilliant of late, and have something like:

Phillips
    Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Marshall Cullen Aribo Solly
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele

Steer, Dijksteel, Pratley, Reeves, Ward, Grant, Ajose

Really harsh on Reeves and not necessarily what I would definitely go for, and I do think Pratley is likely to come back in too so will be interesting to see what Bowyer does in a couple of weeks. But we have that time to sort things out and work on things defensively.
  • Options

This is the quickest I've ever read a Grapevine post.
  • Options
    Odd that Igor wasn't introduced when we needed a 2nd goal. For all the decent passing we only made one clear chance in the 2nd half (Sarr's great ball for Ward's header).

Longer term, I think Ward will be a key player for us. He looks class to me.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Do we need to start both fosu and and aribo.
    For the great players that they both are I'd love to see one of them come on at half time.
    Let's not forget that our winning run was while fosu wasn't available.
    Also with aribo putting so much effort in in the 1st half he tires out a bit in the second half.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    <
  • Options

The Good

Cullen, Taylor, and Aribo were my top three yesterday; Cullen working well across half-back, Joe linking play between half-back and half-forward, and Lyle everywhere from full back to full forward.

Special mentions to Sarr the Enforcer and Solly the Unstoppable Goal Machine who both looked solid on the left side of defence. Naby's nonchalent pass for Ward's late (missed) header was superb; over the midfield and defender, and onto the diving Ward's head.

Our attacking play in the first half and early part of the second was excellent and we should have been so out of sight at half time we could have declared then and still won by an innings.

The Bad

Our attacking play was wasteful throughout. Some of shooting was woeful: Taylor missed a sitter of a header in the first half, Ward should have done better at the end just before their winner, and some of Karlan's long-range shooting was so woeful that even Simon Church would have called them powderpuff.

Too many times our players took a touch too many (in Fossy's case, several touches too many) which allowed defenders to get back into position, and far too often made the wrong decision to pass or shoot.

In Division Three we may get away with this profligacy half the time but if we've got serious ambitions to get promoted we've got to be more ruthless and batter teams every week.

The Ugly

The defence. Shocking. From the moment Cov mad their subs in the second half they seemed to start panicking.

As much as I like Dijksteel I thought he struggled yesterday and appeared to drag Pearce down with him. Our lack of consistent defence (different personnel almost every game) is having an impact on both the back line and the 'keeper.

It doesn't matter how good our front line is if our defence has the resilience of a chocolate teapot. This has to be Lord Bowyer's main focus over the next two weeks. With Page out for several weeks we're going to be weaker down the left. At least with Bielik coming back we'll have extra cover. Maybe revert to a back three of Solly UGM, Pearce, and the Enforcer, with Bielik as a deep-sitting half-back as a bit of cover?

The end

The Cov fans. They turned out in large numbers and made a lot of noise all game. Their rendition of Twist And Shout (very well co-ordinated, I must say) went on for a long time in the second half at a time when their team offered less than bugger all. In fact until the last 10 minutes they were the outstanding performers for the Sky Blues.

We'll have worse performances than yesterday and take all three points. It was a harsh result, not even getting a point, but hopefully it'll act as a wake-up call to the players that we can't get away with conceding so many stupid goals, especially in the last few minutes.

Good post but how can you leave out Reeves? Though he was outstanding yesterday.