Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Coventry

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018

Didn’t know free kicks had to leave the box ??

Yes and the free kick can be taken from anywhere within the area and play can be allowed to continue even if an opponent has not left the area. Good time wasting tactic if as a defender you keep stepping inside the area if being pressed because the Goal / Free kick has to be taken again although deliberate time wasting will get you a booking :wink:
    http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/free-kicks-for-the-defense-in-the-penalty-area/
  • Options
    The most valid point above; Robbins outhought Bowyer and his substitutions were well used and changed the game
    The most wrong point above; why did we continue to play out from the back. In fact the opposite was true. We went more long ball, although this was mainly due to Coventry changing tactics and pushing up much more. Almost every time in first half Steer played to Pearce and Sarr. Not so after their subs
    The most predictable point above: blaming Djik and Steer. Djik didn't do great was certainly wasn't to blame and neither was Steer.

People also forget that Pearce is also playing out of position and probably a factor in him being out of position for their winner. he is a left sided CH and it is a big difference to play on the right.
  • Options
    As others have said we just can't kill teams off when we are well on top. Add to that our defensive frailties. I fear its the play-off at best. One thing that does surprise me is why Dijksteel doesn't go up for corners to add more height.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Yes and the free kick can be taken from anywhere within the area and play can be allowed to continue even if an opponent has not left the area. Good time wasting tactic if as a defender you keep stepping inside the area if being pressed because the Goal / Free kick has to be taken again although deliberate time wasting will get you a booking :wink:
    http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/free-kicks-for-the-defense-in-the-penalty-area/
    Surely one of the most pointless laws in football? Why?
  • Options
    Must say I massively rate Cullen but our corners were shit today

Also, however well I thought Taylor played today, sillybilly has a point about his finishing. Overall Taylor was excellent, but if we are to be more clinical and ruthless, it’s every one of them
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Just for clarity, a free kick awarded in the GOAL AREA can be taken anywhere in that area. Freekicks awarded in the PENALTY AREA have to be taken at the point of the offence. Both types of free kicks have to come out of the PENALTY AREA before they are deemed in play.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    redman said:

The most valid point above; Robbins outhought Bowyer and his substitutions were well used and changed the game
    The most wrong point above; why did we continue to play out from the back. In fact the opposite was true. We went more long ball, although this was mainly due to Coventry changing tactics and pushing up much more. Almost every time in first half Steer played to Pearce and Sarr. Not so after their subs
    The most predictable point above: blaming Djik and Steer. Djik didn't do great was certainly wasn't to blame and neither was Steer.

People also forget that Pearce is also playing out of position and probably a factor in him being out of position for their winner. he is a left sided CH and it is a big difference to play on the right.

It doesn't matter whether you're right or left footed, if a high cross comes in you either get your head on it or lean into the oppo and put him off. As for Steer, he should have saved that, it was virtually in middle of goal. He could have come off his line to narrow the angle or contraversally, come and punched. It was in the air for long enough.
  • Options
    redman said:

If we don't tighten up at the back we can write the season off - a couple of injuries shouldn't have sunk us like this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

redman said:

If we don't tighten up at the back we can write the season off - a couple of injuries shouldn't have sunk us like this.
    Same every year under Roly. When the injuries start, we’re fucked.
  • Options
    Brought my youngest who is 3 to his first game. Same as when I brought my eldest. go 1 up and lose 2-1. Good old Charlton never fail to disappoint :(
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Surely one of the most pointless laws in football? Why?
    Don't shoot the messenger :wink: I can only assume to make sure the ball enters the field of play before the goalkeeper can handle it again plus it gives the side taking the kick more space in addition to the mandatory ten yards to clear their defensive lines.
  • Options
    Admit the defence looked a little disjointed at times but if you're going to point the finger as to why we didn't smash this lot of the park you have to look at our forward line/midfield; over-hit crosses, poor decision making and piss poor finishing. Reeves outstanding and thought Solly had a good game but when he received the ball out wide there was little support. Very disappointing to say the least.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Scoham said:

Imagine if it was Solly, Sarr and Phillips trying to stop that goal...
    People have got it in for Steer for sure. I don’t really get the staunch support for Phillips anyway, I just haven’t seen enough of him to be convinced he’s good or bad, but when your defence allows two clear sites of goal, less than 5 yards out from the middle of the goal, it seems incredibly harsh to me to try and blame the keeper.
    The issue with Steer is that most people suspect he gets to play due to the terms of his loan deal. This wouldn't normally be a problem if the keeper is from a higher league and better than any other keeper the club has. Steer has shown nothing to suggest he is better than Philips and from what I've seen, could even be worse. What has he done to deserve his place? He came in to the team for a pointless midweek cup game, let in 3 gosls, lost a penalty shoot out and then as if by magic he's first choice.

Roland won't pay for 2 decent keepers, so goes cheap on a loan and leaves Philips waiting for them to get injured before he has any hope of playing.

Today's loss was on bowyer though. That diamond formation didn't work all game and he didn't counter Coventry changes. Those goals were coming
    None of which is Steer’s fault, and it’s certainly not fair to blame the 2 goals today on him, but people are trying to.

Like I say, I’m not convinced by Steer. I wouldn’t have dropped Phillips, although, as I keep having to point out, he’d been far from faultless this season which is how some people are portraying him.

By all means hold the opinion that Phillips is better than Steer, it may well be correct, but treat Steer fairly at the same time.
    It's hard to say which keeper is better. I've not really seen Philips enough over the last couple of years because he's always on the bench. What I've seen of Steer in no way convinced me he is a Championship standard keeper.

Steer agreed to go out on loan, if he knows the terms of the loan means he has to play a certain number of games he is complicit in keeping Philips out no matter how well he plays. Villa wouldn't be picking up a chunk of Steer's wages if the guy doesn't play. What is the point of that for Villa? They're not a charity.
  • Options
    I think Reeves was underappreciated in his work covering on the right wing and we suffered when he came off
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Scoham said:

Imagine if it was Solly, Sarr and Phillips trying to stop that goal...
    People have got it in for Steer for sure. I don’t really get the staunch support for Phillips anyway, I just haven’t seen enough of him to be convinced he’s good or bad, but when your defence allows two clear sites of goal, less than 5 yards out from the middle of the goal, it seems incredibly harsh to me to try and blame the keeper.
    The issue with Steer is that most people suspect he gets to play due to the terms of his loan deal. This wouldn't normally be a problem if the keeper is from a higher league and better than any other keeper the club has. Steer has shown nothing to suggest he is better than Philips and from what I've seen, could even be worse. What has he done to deserve his place? He came in to the team for a pointless midweek cup game, let in 3 gosls, lost a penalty shoot out and then as if by magic he's first choice.

Roland won't pay for 2 decent keepers, so goes cheap on a loan and leaves Philips waiting for them to get injured before he has any hope of playing.

Today's loss was on bowyer though. That diamond formation didn't work all game and he didn't counter Coventry changes. Those goals were coming
    None of which is Steer’s fault, and it’s certainly not fair to blame the 2 goals today on him, but people are trying to.

Like I say, I’m not convinced by Steer. I wouldn’t have dropped Phillips, although, as I keep having to point out, he’d been far from faultless this season which is how some people are portraying him.

By all means hold the opinion that Phillips is better than Steer, it may well be correct, but treat Steer fairly at the same time.
    It's hard to say which keeper is better. I've not really seen Philips enough over the last couple of years because he's always on the bench. What I've seen of Steer in no way convinced me he is a Championship standard keeper.

Steer agreed to go out on loan, if he knows the terms of the loan means he has to play a certain number of games he is complicit in keeping Philips out no matter how well he plays. Villa wouldn't be picking up a chunk of Steer's wages if the guy doesn't play. What is the point of that for Villa? They're not a charity.
    I don't see the point of a loan keeper unless they're a clear improvement on your own player. Amos was outstanding last season but Steer isn't and it seems daft not to play your own player and deny them valuable experience.

It's good for Jed and I'm assuming nobody at Charlton sees a long term future for Dillon.
  • Options

redman said:

Same every year under Roly. When the injuries start, we’re fucked.
    Other teams on limited resources don't seem to fall apart so dramatically when they get injuries. Is it down to players or the defence not being set up correctly?
  • Options
    Just annoyed.....they were shite and we should’ve cruised that game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer out.

Sorry. Too soon?
  • Options

Just annoyed.....they were shite and we should’ve cruised that game

I thought they defended really well and put in plenty of blocks. We may have better players in midfield than them but they were more organised.
  • Options
    Think the midfield is too vulnerable with Grant & Fosu playing as they rarely cover back
  • Options

Sorry but I’m going to be controversial here. I love Lyle Taylor as much as the next guy on here and yes he did his usual all over the place commitment today. But he missed a sitter header in the first half and twice in the second refused to pass when he had a colleague with a clear shooting opportunity. In the end those errors cost us the game. I’m not getting in his back because without him we soul be nothing up front but he cost us today and will need to learn from the experience.

Would have to agree with a some of these points, he should have played Reeves in , in the second half, and spent a lot of the game on the wing. I think we made poor decisions in the final third and imo were over playing at times.

Continually their 10 ran off of our centre backs, who just aren’t mobile enough to go with players who have that movement. Massively disappointed because at times we play good football, but we just don’t look like killing teams off. Aribo was fantastic first half but ran out of steam second half, we could be right up there but just don’t think the players concentrate enough.
  • Options

Sorry but I’m going to be controversial here. I love Lyle Taylor as much as the next guy on here and yes he did his usual all over the place commitment today. But he missed a sitter header in the first half and twice in the second refused to pass when he had a colleague with a clear shooting opportunity. In the end those errors cost us the game. I’m not getting in his back because without him we soul be nothing up front but he cost us today and will need to learn from the experience.

Would have to agree with a some of these points, he should have played Reeves in , in the second half, and spent a lot of the game on the wing. I think we made poor decisions in the final third and imo were over playing at times.

Continually their 10 ran off of our centre backs, who just aren’t mobile enough to go with players who have that movement. Massively disappointed because at times we play good football, but we just don’t look like killing teams off. Aribo was fantastic first half but ran out of steam second half, we could be right up there but just don’t think the players concentrate enough.
    It was very strange to see Taylor out on the wing so much - is this what Bowyer wants? He's a quality player but I'm not sure we're getting the best out of him.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Should have been at least 2 up before Taylor made and scored the Pen before half time. Failure to go 2 up cost us as since the loss of Bauer we are now conceding far too many goals, with 2 left footers at centre half. The loss of Page has now seen us totally lopsided.

However that was a smash and grab from Coventry and no way did we deserve to lose that game today. The chance from Ward at the end. 30 seconds later, they go up the other end and get the winner.
  • Options
    Like the fella once said
    Ain’t that a kick in the head.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Should have been at least 2 up before Taylor made and scored the Pen before half time. Failure to go 2 up cost us as since the loss of Bauer we are now conceding far too many goals, with 2 left footers at centre half. The loss of Page has now seen us totally lopsided.

However that was a smash and grab from Coventry and no way did we deserve to lose that game today. The chance from Ward at the end. 30 seconds later, they go up the other end and get the winner.

We may have better players but Coventry defended better and were more clinical. I can't say their winner was a massive surprise but it was disappointing.
  • Options
    Want to add credit to the Coventry fans again... really good noise they made from the Jimmy Seed

Including this number for about 5-10mins when we were in complete control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5gOBj0PK0Y