Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Coventry

Comments

• Scoham said:

Imagine if it was Solly, Sarr and Phillips trying to stop that goal...
    People have got it in for Steer for sure. I don’t really get the staunch support for Phillips anyway, I just haven’t seen enough of him to be convinced he’s good or bad, but when your defence allows two clear sites of goal, less than 5 yards out from the middle of the goal, it seems incredibly harsh to me to try and blame the keeper.
    The issue with Steer is that most people suspect he gets to play due to the terms of his loan deal. This wouldn't normally be a problem if the keeper is from a higher league and better than any other keeper the club has. Steer has shown nothing to suggest he is better than Philips and from what I've seen, could even be worse. What has he done to deserve his place? He came in to the team for a pointless midweek cup game, let in 3 gosls, lost a penalty shoot out and then as if by magic he's first choice.

Roland won't pay for 2 decent keepers, so goes cheap on a loan and leaves Philips waiting for them to get injured before he has any hope of playing.

Today's loss was on bowyer though. That diamond formation didn't work all game and he didn't counter Coventry changes. Those goals were coming
  • If Steer is in over Dillon 'for his distribution', then it should be straight back to the bench next time out. So much faffing about in the first half, then stoppage time and one down and he's dribbling in his own area before hitting the touchline with another abject clearance. 'Keepers are there primarily to stop shots- other attributes, if and when they work, are a bonus.
  • I love this current side and set up but it's league 1 football, sometimes we need to go long.

Frustrating but not the end of the world, I used to go home swearing at anybody that would listen but that was so Charlton it was laughable.

Love Taylor, really feel for his effort.

Not Nabys greatest fan but he'd have been very close to MOM with Taylor today.

Djiksteel looked like rabbit on headlights.
  • edited October 2018
    We played some decent stuff at times but with about twenty minutes to go I predicted a 2-1 win for Coventry as they were getting back in the game and we didn't look like getting a second. Once they'd scored we more or less gave up.

Our defence is an utter f***ing shambles - nine goals in three games conceded against Luton, Scunthorpe and Coventry. Really pisses off with our pathetic display.
  • chilham said:

If Steer is in over Dillon 'for his distribution', then it should be straight back to the bench next time out. So much faffing about in the first half, then stoppage time and one down and he's dribbling in his own area before hitting the touchline with another abject clearance. 'Keepers are there primarily to stop shots- other attributes, if and when they work, are a bonus.

Steer is our No 1 for the season - Bowyer doesn't want to knock his confidence. Apparently he's got great distribution.
  • For me we had the better players but they had the players who wanted to win so they did. No point Fosu, Aribo, Reeves, Taylor and Grant playing pretty stuff if they don’t attack with intent, grit and desire. Goals win games, we did not play quickly enough to get them.
  • edited October 2018
    When the game plan is to start every fucking attack from the back we are going to lose more and more. All that does is give the opposition time to organise themselves and to start drawing them into attack, giving them confidence and eventually it leads to them scoring a goal, or two as in today. The other tactic of banging the ball out to Solly when he is either side of, but still close to, the halfway line is totally pointless unless he is going to ping the ball into space for somebody else to pull the opposition defence out of position. We’ve got the ball players in our midfield and we’ve got two strikers that will chase and win balls played into space. Why the fuck are we not using them ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    Scoham said:

poor selection .. our defence is useless at Scunny and is retained en masse a few days later .. I assume Solly was a fish out of water at left back .. Bielek was on the bench, why didn't he start ? .. at least we are not alone .. Posh thumped at home as were Donny, who'd'a thought the Gills would win at Pompey .. still all to play for

You assume wrong. He was fine, did a decent job as he usually has done at left back.

However neither Dijksteel, a defensive midfielder, or Solly, on his wrong side, offered much as an attacking threat. Solly used his left foot at times but mainly came back on his right which sometimes slowed the attacking down. That’s where we missed Page.

It was obvious we needed a second goal and didn’t get it. Nearly won at the end through Ward, instead we missed and straight after that Coventry scored.

Got to be better at both ends. First half we had a great chance blocked/cleared (Grant and Fosu?) and another, a Taylor header he didn’t get enough power or direction on which was saved on the line by their keeper.

Taylor had a good game, both creating chances for other and looking to score himself.

Aribo seemed to disappear as the game went on, almost forgot he was playing.

We looked good on the ball, tried get in behind and put in different types of crosses but we didn’t do enough to win the game. Being only 1-0 up meant the game could go either way. Had we got that second goal I think we’d have been fairly comfortable, well as much as a Charlton team can with that score line anyway.
    so .. Solly couldn't get forward, couldn't use his left foot, slowed the attack down and wasn't a 'fish out of water' .. he's playing out of position what did you expect .. a terrific player for us BUT he's NOT a left back ..i.e. a fish out of water .. what about the rest of my post ? .. why no Bielek ? ..
  • Needed a second goal, didn’t get it and the inevitable happened. Poor substitutions today.

Echo others comments on Steer....he’s no better than Phillips imo.
  • Not physical enough but really should have been three or four up by the time they scored.

Poor substitutions didn't help but the difference in goalkeepers was there for all to see.

We have been given a bum steer!
  • Needed a second goal, didn’t get it and the inevitable happened. Poor substitutions today.

as I just posted on the 'quandary' post .. we are lumbered a t m with two keepers who are at best mediocre .. and that's being polite
  • Can someone clarify the rules from the Referee that made Steer having to take a Goal Kick and Free Kick twice?

Was it because the player he was passing to, was technically behind him?
  • Can someone clarify the rules from the Referee that made Steer having to take a Goal Kick and Free Kick twice?

I think one of them was for a moving ball
  • Didn't deserve that, although as has happened so many times to us before if you don't take your chances when you're on top it inevitably comes back to bite you on the behind and nobody is worse than holding on to a lead than we are. To me one of the big differences was that when Coventry broke they got men forward quickly whereas we took too long to build our attacks. We definitely have the players to do well in this league but unless we are far more ruthless when we are on top we are no more than an outside bet for the. Play-Offs
  • Sponsored links:

Ball didn't come out or area both correct descisions.

Ball didn't come out or area both correct descisions.
    Never knew this myself... So a GK or FK taken inside the box has to be passed to a player outside of the box?

As a player that is a bit embarrassing if they dont know that
  • Didn’t know free kicks had to leave the box ??
  • edited October 2018

Didn’t know free kicks had to leave the box ??

that's the law .. it happened once at Scunthorpe as well .. Steer needs to kick it a bit harder ((:>) .. i.e. miles away from his area as often as possible
  • Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:

- all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
    - all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
    - the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area
    - a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area
  • CAFCTrev said:

Poor subs didnt help, Reeves was having a great game and didnt look tired. Fosu was holding up the ball well and key to a lot of our attacking moves. Taking both off in a matter of minutes killed our attacking threat.

Well I agreed with both subs.
    We looked lethargic all game and although Aribo was excellent & Cullen good we were losing the middle due to Reeves & Fosu.

as I just posted on the 'quandary' post .. we are lumbered a t m with two keepers who are at best mediocre .. and that's being polite
    I think you've made it abundantly clear you don't like Phillips - fortunately we got Steer in on loan and that's worked out well.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Poor subs didnt help, Reeves was having a great game and didnt look tired. Fosu was holding up the ball well and key to a lot of our attacking moves. Taking both off in a matter of minutes killed our attacking threat.

Well I agreed with both subs.
    We looked lethargic all game and although Aribo was excellent & Cullen good we were losing the middle due to Reeves & Fosu.
    losing the middle due to our wider midfielders?

I think you've made it abundantly clear you don't like Phillips - fortunately we got Steer in on loan and that's worked out well.
    you're right I don't rate Phillips .. like him ? .. I don't know him .. what I've seen he is a very pleasant young man .. Steer is not a world beater but I rate him higher than Phillips ..
    all in all I'd sooner have a right horrible fucker in goal who knows what he's doing .. does that settle the issue for you once and for all ? cos I'm getting bored with having to keep repeating myself
  • Didn’t know free kicks had to leave the box ??

that's the law .. it happened once at Scunthorpe as well .. Steer needs to kick it a bit harder ((:>) .. i.e. miles away from his area as often as possible
    Oh shush, we’ve been told his distribution is amazing. You must have been seeing things, um, at both games....