Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Coventry

Comments

• I love bowyer but he waits too long to make a sub. Should have brought on Bielik in the 65th min

Think Bielek was there for absolute emergencies only today. Listening to bowyer midweek, I don't think Bielek was really fit today.
  • Oh well, there’s always next season.
  • I feel we were mugged and played well first half but were punished with the misses from Taylor and Fosu 1st half.
    Thought the makeshift defence did well for 80 minutes.
    Reeves coming off when we were 1 nil up now looks poor.
  • Leuth said:

(not that he got a lot of help from the midfielder in front of him).

That's a good point - Reeves was doing well defensively, and Lapslie wasn't as switched on. Dijksteel is no full-back though
    Lapslie was definitely ball watching for their first.
  • Davo55 said:

First thing to say - Lyle Taylor was magnificent for the whole 90 minutes. He was everywhere, beating players and carrying our major goal threat. He did not deserve to be on the losing side.

Secondly - it feels like a smash and grab but we only have ourselves to blame.For about 70 minutes we were far superior to Coventry but without creating enough chances and being clinical enough when they did come along. Even near the end Jamie Ward had a golden chance to ut us 2-1 up but headed wide in front of a gaping goal. As soon as Coventry realised they were in with a shout and started applying some pressure, we just folded. Djiksteel just isn't good enough at RB. It is absolutely no surprise that both Coventry goals came from breaks down his flank. He is too slow, gets turned too easily and just doesn't add anything to attacking moves. A modern full back makes as much of a contribution going forwards as in defence. We desperately need to strengthen in both full back positions if we really want to challenge for promotion.

Other than that - Steer looks dodgy. He just lets in too many goals, especially from close in. Cullen, Reeves and Fosu looked classy in midfield but we have to create more.

That's drawn one and lost two in the last three games. Not good enough.

Great summary Davo. Agree 100% re Taylor, didn’t deserve to be on the losing team

I’m fuming. Not acceptable
  • I love bowyer but he waits too long to make a sub. Should have brought on Bielik in the 65th min

Think Bielek was there for absolute emergencies only today. Listening to bowyer midweek, I don't think Bielek was really fit today.
    You're probably right. So it begs the question why was he on the sub's bench?

• Well we really did through it away with both the top to teams losing it was in our hands to only be a couple of points off 2nd
    But once again our arse went
    And the rest is history
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor subs didnt help, Reeves was having a great game and didnt look tired. Fosu was holding up the ball well and key to a lot of our attacking moves. Taking both off in a matter of minutes killed our attacking threat.
  • Huge disappointment after a recent, very decent run. Three games without a win now and dropping down the table. The defence is now making too many mistakes and the forwards have to score more than one goal if we are to be in with a chance of collecting some points. Injuries to key defenders has been our downfall. A question mark also hangs over our current choice of keeper. If we can keep a clean sheet then we have a guaranteed point and a better chance of all three if our forwards do a job.
    Don't understand why Reeves was pulled off - maybe still not 100% fit?
    Hoping this is a blip and we can get back to that earlier form after the International break when others are back fit.
  • edited October 2018
    Coventry were poor but you could see in the first half how many gaps they were finding in our back four. The game should have been put to bed but we didn't take our chances.
  • For all our possession we didn't really trouble their back 4 and as soon as they went direct we fell apart.

Poor really to not be able to see it out with 10 minutes to go, not for the first time.
  • This is why it's so painful being a Charlton fan!
    Always was and always will be
  • I don't know if Reeves and Fosu were tiring but they seem odd choices as they were both playing well, whereas Grant was fairly anonymous. Dijksteel is a skilful player but not a right back, though we're stuck for options at the back right now. I thought Solly had a good game and despite the odd error I like Naby Sarr, who saw a lot of the ball today. Coventry defended well today; no nonsense blocks, last ditch tackles and the keeper was solid.

Taylor is a class player and, as a couple of people have said, deserved a better result today. Good time for a week off, I think, though Bowyer's results do seem to come in blocks of good and bad. Last season it was four at a time. Let's hope it's not nine at a time this season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine if it was Solly, Sarr and Phillips trying to stop that goal...
  • CH4RLTON said:

Criminal , we're missing Bauer , in hindsight we gambled on spending our remaining budget on midfielders and forward players when we really need cover for our full backs and for all the praise gallen and bowyer has had surely they must take responsibility for that

Nothing to do with the owner not providing the necessary budget of course.
  • CH4RLTON said:

Criminal , we're missing Bauer , in hindsight we gambled on spending our remaining budget on midfielders and forward players when we really need cover for our full backs and for all the praise gallen and bowyer has had surely they must take responsibility for that

• Just can't defend. But if Ward had finished the header it would have been a deserved win just.

Bielik was coming on... Coventry scored and Bielik sat back down and was Jamie Ward who came on instead
  • PWR

It is certainly harder to do these after a defeat when I feel as pissed off as I do right now.
    It doesn't matter how well we played, or that we should have been two up before Coventry scored, Coventry deserved that win because in my view Mark Robbins out managed Lee Bowyer, experience verses optimism, and experience won.
    With Coventry under the cosh Robbins felt he had to do something to change the nature of the game and he did a double substitution and it worked. By then our areas of vulnerability, and out threats had been worked out, and still in the game Coventry worked and worked some more and rewarded their faithful who had travelled in numbers. Bowyer didn't read the runes well enough, and maybe he felt he didn't have the right cards to play. Coventry weren't cynical, or negative, but as so many teams in this league are, they were honest and not without enough ability to do damage.
    Praising Coventry still doesn't eradicate the feeling of pissed offness. It's not that we did a lot wrong, Solly and Djiksteel having to be shuffled was an issue, as was the ever present worry about Sarr. Sarr may be a lot of things, but dependable would not be the first descriptor for him. Incidentally I agree that Steer kicks the ball well, but is he that much better than Phillips?
    Aribo and Taylor and Cullen were our best players, the others weren't awful, although we certainly need Belick back as a choice in defence, and I believe we can do better than Reeves for all the qualities he possesses.
    Not a great feeling tonight, we have to win three away games, and win at home of course, to get things back on track, and that is starting to look too much to ask. If we lose one or two key players sold in January then Bowyer will need to work miracles.
    Enjoy the win Coventry, see you on Boxing Day.