Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    Slightly off topic but excellent piece on 5Live tonight with Michael Vaughn speaking to Shane Warne. Warney doesn't hold back and really rips into Steve Waugh and John Buchanan. Worth a listen on the BBC i-player.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Slightly off topic but excellent piece on 5Live tonight with Michael Vaughn speaking to Shane Warne. Warney doesn't hold back and really rips into Steve Waugh and John Buchanan. Worth a listen on the BBC i-player.

As he probably said in that interview Warne has never forgiven Waugh for dropping him in the Windies in 1999 - his ego simply couldn't take the rejection and he won't admit it was the right call as the Aussies won the Test.

In terms of Buchanan, Warne never respected him as he had never played Test cricket and that was exacerbated once Buchanan called Warne out about his fitness, or lack thereof to be exact.

Even his own wife recently said that Warne, now 50, is a Peter Pan figure who never grew up and it's telling that the only two people to stand up to him are the only two that he publicly slates regularly - the classic, almost Trump-like, child's mentality at work.
  • Options

Riviera said:

As he probably said in that interview Warne has never forgiven Waugh for dropping him in the Windies in 1999 - his ego simply couldn't take the rejection and he won't admit it was the right call as the Aussies won the Test.

In terms of Buchanan, Warne never respected him as he had never played Test cricket and that was exacerbated once Buchanan called Warne out about his fitness, or lack thereof to be exact.

Even his own wife recently said that Warne, now 50, is a Peter Pan figure who never grew up and it's telling that the only two people to stand up to him are the only two that he publicly slates regularly - the classic, almost Trump-like, child's mentality at work.
    Spot on. Warne is a kind of Bobby Fischer figure - a genius, but a genius only of his game, otherwise completely unsuited for life or company. His word, when applied to ANYTHING other than the techniques or tactics of cricket, should be disregarded. I think he's quite a good commentator as he knows the game, but as CLR James might deplore, it is all he knows
  • Options
    And don't get me wrong - he's one of the most incredible sportsmen I've ever witnessed
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Riviera said:

Spot on. Warne is a kind of Bobby Fischer figure - a genius, but a genius only of his game, otherwise completely unsuited for life or company. His word, when applied to ANYTHING other than the techniques or tactics of cricket, should be disregarded. I think he's quite a good commentator as he knows the game, but as CLR James might deplore, it is all he knows
    He was in the media here in Oz this morning lecturing the current Aussie team about how they need to win back the respect of the public by improving their on-field behaviour.

Yep. Really!!!

Getting lectured by Shane Warne about behaving properly on the field of play is like getting lectured by George Graham on the evils of corruption in football.
  • Options
    Shane Warne was the best captain Australia never had. The biggest problem was both he and puntter knew it.

It's unusual to have a player that is so freakishly good at something, like Warne was at bowling leg spin, and also totally master the psychology of the game.

Normally special talent has a down side on the field, Warne`s was off it.

• Options
    War e

Leuth said:

Riviera said:

He was in the media here in Oz this morning lecturing the current Aussie team about how they need to win back the respect of the public by improving their on-field behaviour.

Yep. Really!!!

Getting lectured by Shane Warne about behaving properly on the field of play is like getting lectured by George Graham on the evils of corruption in football.
    Warne’s onfield behaviour was fine though, his indiscretions were off field!
  • Options
    England 127-2

Joe Root has now scored 304 runs in ODIs since his last dismissal (113*, 100*, 25* and 66*), putting him top on the all-time list for England. Hick (301, in 1999) was top. World record is 455, Fakar Zaman (117*, 43*, 210*, 85), earlier this year.
  • Options
    This isn't an easy pitch either but Root's class at making it look easier than it is has shone through. Roy made a duck playing a non event of a shot to be caught at mid wicket and Bairstow looked totally out of sorts on the surface in failing to score off 14 of his first 15 balls.

Root needs to bat through and allow the big hitters to tee off in the last dozen overs or so.
  • Options
    And no sooner have I said that Root is caught off a leading edge at extra for 71 off 83 balls.

140-3 off 29
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    190-4 off 37

Stokes out for 15 (22)
    Morgan 72* (73)
  • Options
    Morgan C & B Malinga for 92 (91)

218-5 off 41.4

Buttler 8* (11)
  • Options
    And Moeen follows bowled first ball by Malinga
  • Options
    So Malinga bowls a no ball beamer for the hat trick ball to Woakes!
  • Options
    Buttler misses a full toss and is bowled for 28 (25)

245-7 off 45.3

Woakes 5* (9)

• Options
    Woakes out LBW on review for 5 (10)

249-8 off 46.1
  • Options
    What’s a par score here?
  • Options
    4 wickets for the Slinga
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Malinga bowls Dawson and has been superb today to record figures of 5-41 off 9
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What’s a par score here?

This is a cricket wicket where you have to bat properly and can't just "swing". We are currently on 257-9 which should be a winning score if we bowl well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Malinga's final figures 10-1-44-5

266-9 with an over to go
  • Options
    We finish on 278-9 thanks to Rashid 19* (15) and Stone 9* (7) who both batted very sensibly in the circumstances.
  • Options
    I think Foster will be a very useful addition to the Sky team if only for the fact that he has an uncanny knack of saying it as it is and not worrying if that might upset anyone. As one of the best keepers around, his input on his fellow glove men will be helpful too as too.
  • Options
    Woakes goes for 9 off 5 balls and then gets Tharanga first ball caught behind.
  • Options
    Not seen much of Stone before but he certainly has something about him not least his pace.
  • Options
    And then Stone gets Dickwella out with an excellent bouncer that all Dickwella can do with is to glove it to Buttler.
  • Options
    This is seriously good bowling from Stone - he was 25 on Tuesday and has the right credentials to ultimately become the replacement for Broad/Anderson. Someone we have been looking for.
  • Options
    Woakes, by comparison, is bowling too full and straight.
  • Options
    And no sooner than I say that Woakes gets Chandimal to chop on off his legs.

20-3