Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone been to Cork?

Comments

• Options

If you are looking for good eating, there are a number of highly regarded restaurants, including a Japanese restaurant that (five months after opening - the chef did run a takeaway before that reputedly had customers coming from Dublin and Galway) has just won a Michelin star: Ichigo Ichie. It's one of three in Cork to achieve a star for the first time.

The Irish Times have helpfully provided a list of all, including Bib Gourmands: https://irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/michelin-awards-2019-full-list-of-irish-restaurants-and-what-the-judges-said-1.3648794.

If you are going to Cork City, can I recommend that you watch "The Young Offenders" beforehand, it'll help make you feel the place is familiar, and is quite often hilarious.

Also, when in Cork, make like the Queen and visit the English Market.

That takeaway is still open and is within 100 metres of a couple of pubs I mentioned earlier. Just down the hill from Tom Barrys and up hill from the Spalpín. I believe it can be extremely busy, I haven't' been yet.
  • Options
    Can anyone familiar with Bantry Bay remind me of the main town with the pubs that's a half-hour drive away?
  • Options
    The Cobh heritage centre is definately worth going to. if you're into the scenic side Killarney National Park is a must do. Go from the Queens view all the way down. I went years ago, I assume cars are still allowed. Very narrow tracks but well worth it but do get out of the car occasionally & drink in the silence. Mizen head is also worth a visit but maybe a bit far if you're only there a couple of days ? Spectacular scenery, spectacular SW coast line. A great place, the Murphys is great & used to be more popular than Guinness :smile:
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Can anyone familiar with Bantry Bay remind me of the main town with the pubs that's a half-hour drive away?

Sounds like that could be Skibbereen, home of the World Champion Rowing O'Donovan brothers.
  • Options
    Baltimore's not too far away, but then, it depends how fast you drive - I knew a girl woman from Ballydehob who'd be in Dublin in no time of a weekend.

Kinsale's not a million miles away either.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

hawksmoor said:

Sounds like that could be Skibbereen, home of the World Champion Rowing O'Donovan brothers.
    Steak & spuds.
  • Options

Baltimore's not too far away, but then, it depends how fast you drive - I knew a girl woman from Ballydehob who'd be in Dublin in no time of a weekend.

Kinsale's not a million miles away either.

Be some driving to get up to Kinsale in half an hour! 80km on not the best roads.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Played GAA many moons ago in Dunmanway, Cork, also visited the birth place of Sam Maguire, as well as Béal na Bláth where Michael Collins was shot.

Would love to visit The South Pole Pub in Annascaul, County Kerry, the pub that Tom Crean brought after his trips to the Antarctica.
  • Options
    It was Glengarriff I was thinking of. Had an all-night lock-in in one of the pubs there.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

hawksmoor said:

To say nothing of the, now defunct, Skibbereen Eagle, which famously kept its eye on Lord Palmerstown, Tsarist Russia and the Kaiser.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kinsale is well worth a visit.

The airport is prone to fog. Spent a whole day in the bar waiting for a delayed flight.

One important thing to remember is that Irish spirit measures are doubles.
  • Options
    Which one is your Dad?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Which one is your Dad?

Middle row, 5th from the left.
  • Options
    Great photo. I have a few similar. The teacher looks so scary. When you hear the stories of rural Ireland in those days, it must've been quite bleak going to school, especially in the winter.
  • Options

Blarney stone. Kissed it and lost my virginity that very night.

(And no, it wasn't last week :-) )

The consequential luck was evidenced in that the guy only had a small cock.
  • Options

Played GAA many moons ago in Dunmanway, Cork, also visited the birth place of Sam Maguire, as well as Béal na Bláth where Michael Collins was shot.

Would love to visit The South Pole Pub in Annascaul, County Kerry, the pub that Tom Crean brought after his trips to the Antarctica.

I used to drink in the South Pole. Nice pub.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Tom Crean is one of my heros, great story of his live.
  • Options

iainment said:

The intetesting part is how he was ignored as part of Irish history until relatively recently.
    There was a one man show about him that I saw and enjoyed. It tours Ireland every now and then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

The intetesting part is how he was ignored as part of Irish history until relatively recently.
    There was a one man show about him that I saw and enjoyed. It tours Ireland every now and then.
    I think that's because he joined the British navy, he himself kept quiet after his return. Ireland has changed over the last two decades, they have started to honour their dead in both world wars.
  • Options
    Just avoid these scally wags when you're in the city centre.

(I'm Billy Murphy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBAuZZd5RHY

• Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Wonderful county. Take a trip around Bantry, beautiful area.

My dad was born on Bere Island in Bantry Bay so I am a little biased, but it is a terrific place to visit.

Coincidentally I have just come across a photo of my Dad when he was at school in the 1930's at Lawrence Cove National School on Bere Island - wonderful to find something I've never seen before.

None of them look particularly happy and interesting to see how many are barefoot.
    I remember when I used to ask for new shoes for school when I’d worn through the soles. Dad would grab the tissue box, turf out the tissues and cut out around my shoe on the box, hand them both back to me & tell me to stuff that in my shoe until he could get to Woolworths to buy a stick on sole. And then remind me he never wore shoes to school.
    Beautiful photo and a reminder how rural Ireland was not that long ago.
  • Options
    Spent the weekend in Cork/Blarney and have to say that I've never seen so much rain. Despite the weather had a great time and will hopefully get to go in the summer next time.

Got to see Blarney Castle, the Cobh Heritage Centre and a fantastic visit to the Jameson Distillery. Really interesting to find out the history of the area.

• Options

Spent the weekend in Cork/Blarney and have to say that I've never seen so much rain. Despite the weather had a great time and will hopefully get to go in the summer next time.

Got to see Blarney Castle, the Cobh Heritage Centre and a fantastic visit to the Jameson Distillery. Really interesting to find out the history of the area.

Kissing the Blarney Stone in the pissing rain ... there's excitement for you :wink:
  • Options

Spent the weekend in Cork/Blarney and have to say that I've never seen so much rain.

Despite the weather had a great time and will hopefully get to go in the summer next time.

It rains in the summer too! :smile:

• Options

hah you picked a pretty bad weekend weather wise! I actually fecked off to Denmark for the weekend so missed it. Its been very bad the last week or so. We've already had 2-3 times as much rain as the last two Novembers.
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

Getting into that time of year where weather is just horrible for extended periods.
    It can rain all year round but the winter is especially horrible. We're starting to see the temperatures raise as a result of global warming the last few years, but on the flip side we've had more snow and really bad storms over the last 5 years than the previous 30.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.
  • Options
    This is a fantastic thread! @stonemuse what a photo! I have a friend whose family come from Bere Island - name of Sullivan. Does that mean anything to you?
  • Options
    The Young Offenders is superb. The fridge buying trip and bus hijack stick in my mind. In the interest of religious balance, Derry Girls is pretty good also.
  • Options

This is a fantastic thread! @stonemuse what a photo! I have a friend whose family come from Bere Island - name of Sullivan. Does that mean anything to you?

My dad's grandmother was Margaret Sullivan. She was born in September 1841, in Bere Island, to Patrick O'Sullivan and Margaret Harrington. In 1901 she was living in a two roomed house in Cloonaghlin Lower, Bere Island with my grandmother.